Trading over water? (if trading or other large enough ships are available)

Inspired by this post in another thread:

12 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Depending on the map and circumstances a dock (or two docks) might be the better choice: you don't have to own the territory to build a dock, thus you can maximize the distance.

Is it possible to route traders across water if trading or other large enough ships are available, without manually garrisoning them onto a ship and ungarrison them from that ship on arrival? This could be a nice feature (less micro management). If it is not yet possible (admittedly, I have not tried it), could it be added? Or would it be too much automatism?

My camels don't automatically go on board of a trade ship when it's there. If it's intended to keep this manual, that's perfectly fine with me. I justed wondered if I have overseen something. I thought that when camels can go on an autoroute over land from one market to another, they could do this also across water (ships of course being a preriquisite). If you mean that the trading ships themselves are good for the same purpose (i.e. trading between harbours), I understand and now this. My question is still with the "land traders" and if they could cross water on ships automatically without manual un/garrisoning. But I will be sure to try it myself.

@Ceres Warships are warships and traders are traders. Don't see your suggestion work, might also not make sense. Maybe just send land traders to the dock and merchant ships from the dock?

I believe you can put land traders into merchant ship to increase their profit:

0ad-merchimerchi.jpg.daf201aae02a31ac76efdfa5f00ea95b.jpg

I did that some time, don't know the math and if those stats are correct. 15 traders would give +300% profit?

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2021 at 6:56 AM, Ceres said:

without manually garrisoning them onto a ship and ungarrison them from that ship on arrival? This could be a nice feature (less micro management). If it is not yet possible (admittedly, I have not tried it), could it be added? Or would it be too much automatism?

If you have a sea merchant trade route going between two docks and make land traders, you can set the rally point of the land traders market to one of the merchant ships(while en route) and they automatically are garrisoned into the selected ship. Where/how it is determined that the ship will stop its course to load the traders, idk. But it is automated to that extent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alre said:

why would you garrison a trader into merchant ship for +20% profit

Probably just for personal preferences.  Constraints due to the amount of "land" on some of the naval maps would be one reason. Having 5 merchant ships with 15 land traders garrisoned in each ship wouldn't be the best use of pop limits but +300% "profit" is substantial.

• Like 1