Help With French Again

Hey guys I have to go through some group work where we analyse a conte. :D

Its name is "Flix" and the story is that two cats get a child. The baby is a dog and has problems in catcity (chatville, lol). After some time it rescues a dog and thus is famous among both cats and dogs (clébardville).

My task is to combine the cities - chatville and clébardville. They are very different - well in chatville everything wears cat heads, the habitants are almost only c ats, for dinenr there are only birds, mice and fish.

In clébard there are a lot of bones put on everything, dog heads etc.

Would you please help me write a text about this? He are some notes I wrote down already:

chatville:

-habitants sont chats (il y a quelques exceptions)

-chaque chose avec un chat

-il y a des moyens pour attraper des souris dans presque chaque table

-beaucoup de statues qui representent populaire chats

-dans la télé on peut regarder des chats comme ils sont entant d/attraper des souris

-les automobiles ont des têtes des chats à la front (des bouteilles de vin aussi)

-maisons ressemblent becaucoup à des maisons d'hommes (les arbres et la nature aussi)

-pour manger il y a souvent des poissons, des souris et des oiseaus

-chats peuvent les acheter dans les supermarchés

-they are dressed like humans (en francais?)

Thanks in advance. :D

There are missing a lot of functional words... But still, it's great job (Bon travail!, to answer to Eken)

But...

(1) missing functional words. ("les" and "des")

(2) What's the meaning of the second?

(3) We usually say "sur la table", rather then "dans la table".

(4) "chats populaireS"

(5) "À la télé", rather than "Dans la télé" / (5) comme ils sont entant (???)

(6) à "l'avant" rather than "à la front" (which should be "au front" and such expression has militaristic connotations) / (6) "Sur les bouteilles aussi"

(7) missing a "les" before the sentence

(8) "À manger" rather than "Pour manger" (pour manger is considered in Quebec as an anglicism, so it seems to be comprehensible.) / (8) don't ask why, but there a fixed expression regarding fish served. We usually say "du poisson", even if there is more than one and more than one kind. Des souris et des oiseaux is still correct. / (8) plural of "oiseau" is "oiseaux" (comes from old french)

(9) "les" in front / (9) What is implied with "les", in "les acheter" : wht do they buy?

(10) "Les chats sont habillés comme des humains."

It seems to be a lot, but I'm sure some people could say such about how I write in English. :D

(beer.gif

chatville:

-habitants sont chats (il y a quelques exceptions)

-chaque chose avec un chat

-il y a des moyens pour attraper des souris dans presque chaque table

-beaucoup de statues qui representent populaire chats

-dans la télé on peut regarder des chats comme ils sont entant d/attraper des souris

-les automobiles ont des têtes des chats à la front (des bouteilles de vin aussi)

-maisons ressemblent becaucoup à des maisons d'hommes (les arbres et la nature aussi)

-pour manger il y a souvent des poissons, des souris et des oiseaus

-chats peuvent les acheter dans les supermarchés

-they are dressed like humans (en francais?)

ok, here is my version ...

chatville:

-les habitants sont des chats (il y a quelques exceptions)

- ... sorry, don't understand that one :D

-il y a des moyens d'attraper des souris sur presque chaque table

-beaucoup de statues qui représentent des chats populaires

-à la télé on peut regarder des chats qui sont en train d'attraper des souris

-les automobiles ont des têtes de chats à l'avant (de bouteilles de vin aussi)

-les maisons ressemblent beaucoup à des maisons d'hommes (les arbres et la nature aussi)

-pour manger il y a souvent du poisson, des souris et des oiseaux

-les chats peuvent les acheter dans les supermarchés

-ils sont habillés comme les humains.

My version is very similar to that of Yiuel ... just few differences.

Hope that suits you :D

For now, we are only two (akya is away), and we speak different dialects of French. Curufinwe's is France French, and mine is Quebec's French. They are slightly different in vocabulary (mine being somewhat more liberal, but forbidding direct anglicisms like "shopping", even if accepting hidden anglicisms), and use grammar differently. Moreover, my French is anglicized because of my ontarian origins!

Isn't there some word that means "because" (not "parce-que")? I thought "car" was some slang for a french word for because... Am I thinking of somethign else?

EDIT: Yes AFAIK I am going on a European vacation next summer! In France I know at least we are going to Paris and Lyons... I think Lyons. Anyhow, don't you live by Toulouse?

In Quebec French, we use "car" only as a "because" word. And it has no colloquial-slang connotations. But we use an old word : "char", which is closely related to the english "car", and they hold the same meaning (an automobile). But the word "char" is considered as pure Québécois, and not Quebec French.

And the France French "un car", is rendered in Quebec French as "un autobus". Some Montrealers will use the English word "bus" (pronounced as in English as well)...

Québécois is a polite name for Joual, which is how we call that language from French that grew in Quebec, mostly in the anglicized parts of Quebec (as for Montreal, but a lot more places). It's grammar is mostly a regularisation of French in some matter and then huge contractions (Je t'aime into "Chtaime" or "L'autre m'aime" for "L'aut' Amaime.") and a lot of anglicisms :P

Joual from comes the word Cheval (horse) because the higher classes of the French speaker thought of Québécois as a "langue de cheval" (horse tongue), meaning it was feeled like if one would talk like a horse! Michel Tremblay, a famous author, writes in Frenchish Québécois, and his written dialogues are true Québécois.

This is possible, but I don't know if it came from there. Even though a lot of Britton moved to Quebec, the masculine language never made it into common use : since the men were always away from the kids, the kids learned with their mother, and most women in that time where scholarized and, by the king, so most kids learned Paris French (of that time, not of present day :P). In fact, because possibly most britton learned that language as well, possibly the origin is from old Parisian French...