Autostart feature to set up a specific civ - wrong syntax?

According to this readme, there are very useful autostart features, e.g.:

Basic gameplay:
-autostart=...      load a map instead of showing main menu (see below)
-quickstart         load faster (disables audio and some system info logging)

Autostart:
-autostart="TYPEDIR/MAPNAME"    enables autostart and sets MAPNAME; TYPEDIR is skirmishes, scenarios, or random
-autostart-civ=PLAYER:CIV       sets PLAYER's civilisation to CIV (skirmish and random maps only)

This works nicely to quickstart in windowed mode (1024x768) a random map with Aegean See:

"C:\ProgramData\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\system\pyrogenesis.exe" -xres=1024 -yres=768 -quickstart -autostart="random/aegean_sea"

However, when I add the civ Romans, I get an out of memory error (both on Debian 11 and Windows 10):

"C:\ProgramData\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\system\pyrogenesis.exe" -xres=1024 -yres=768 -quickstart -autostart="random/aegean_sea" -autostart-civ=user:romans

Is the syntax wrong?

@wraitii

I saw that you created/updated the readme.txt in GitHub and have proposed a minor additional note for the parameter -mod=NAME (if you provide "mod" as NAME, the game starts into the mod selection screen - thanks to @Stan` for this hint elsewhere ;)). You will find a pull request from 7wells (that's me ;)). Is that ok?

Edited by Ceres

7 minutes ago, Ceres said:

@wraitii

I saw that you created/updated the readme.txt in GitHub and have proposed a minor additional note for the parameter -mod=NAME (if you provide "mod" as NAME, the game starts into the mod selection screen - thanks to @Stan` for this hint elsewhere ;)). You will find a pull request from 7wells (that's me ;)). Is that ok?

We don't accept pull requests at this time, so you'll have to upload it to Phabricator like a normal patch.

• Thanks 1

@Gurken Khan

And I found them there: \binaries\data\mods\public\art\actors\units\

But they are not the abbreviations. So thanks a lot for your additional and helpful info! :)

@Stan`

When providing xres and yres, shouldn't the game be started in windowed mode automatically (else, providing resolution would not make much sense). But it still starts in fullscreen mode if the window mode was disabled in the in-game settings before. So my question (more precisely) is whether the -xres and -yres parameters should overwrite some (where documented?) setting for the fullscreen mode, so it gets the windowed mode. Or does that not make sense, either, e.g. because on the next start of the game without parameters, the original in-game setting would be lost? Hmm...

PS: Could there be some sanity check added that the game does not freeze if wrong parameters (e.g. "Romans" instead of "Roman") are provided?

Edited by Ceres

33 minutes ago, Ceres said:

When providing xres and yres, shouldn't the game be started in windowed mode automatically (else, providing resolution would not make much sense). But it still starts in fullscreen mode if the window mode was disabled in the in-game settings before. So my question (more precisely) is whether the -xres and -yres parameters should overwrite some (where documented?) setting for the fullscreen mode, so it gets the windowed mode. Or does that not make sense, either, e.g. because on the next start of the game without parameters, the original in-game setting would be lost? Hmm...

In the past it did affect fullscreen mode as well. It doesn't work with the current type of fullscreen but it might in the future so we kept it. E.G it might work again with https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4106

35 minutes ago, Ceres said:

PS: Could there be some sanity check added that the game does not freeze if wrong parameters (e.g. "Romans" instead of "Roman") are provided?

There might be a check for user: out of memory. as for the existing civs it's a bit harder since they can change with mods, so you'd have to look for all possible civs before.

• Thanks 1