All Civilizations are my favorite.

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 19/04/2022 at 1:21 AM, Philip the Swaggerless said:

Any hero that can be produced in the CC can be produced sooner.  Currently, by the time you make the building for the hero, and then make the hero, the big p3 fight is starting.  If you can train the hero from the CC then maybe you can at least get a little eco benefit before all your soldiers go to fight.  I know I would try it.

This is one very nice thing about Selucids and Ptolomies, you can immediately have a hero to lead your forces to battle, whats more they have an elephant hero that can level a civic center by itself if properly protected. Every other civ has to build a silly fort which costs a lot and takes an age. At least the Spartans, Athenians and Gauls have an easier time of things with unique buildings, I think Mauryas as well. But the others are stuck building forts

• Like 1

I think moving (most) heroes to the CC would integrate them a little bit more into the game. I know it's a simple change, moving them from the fortress to the CC, but I'm thinking about the psychology of the player, seeing the Hero there in the training panel from the outset, instead of 15 mins later when they build a fortress.

Honestly, I'd really push for something along the lines of DE's hero choices, but I know that's too radical (!!!) for the current crop of stakeholders. You almost need a whole new set of players and developers in order to propose significant improvements, because all of the current stakeholders are so wed to the status quo. 

Don't say I'm wrong, when even simple changes are controversial. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 6

10 分钟前,wowgetoffyourcellphone 说:

我认为将(大多数)英雄转移到 CC 会让他们更多地融入游戏中。 我知道这是一个简单的改变,将他们从要塞转移到 CC,但我正在考虑玩家的心理,从一开始就在训练面板中看到英雄,而不是 15 分钟后他们建造要塞.

老实说,我真的会按照 DE 的英雄选择来推动一些事情,但我知道这对于当前的利益相关者来说太激进了(!!!)。 您几乎需要一整套全新的参与者和开发人员来提出重大改进,因为所有当前的利益相关者都如此固守现状。 

不要说我错了,即使是简单的改变也会引起争议。 :) 

I agree, it's long overdue.

I want to see new features and a breaking of the status quo. The only way forward is to bite the proverbial bullet and assume you cannot please everyone. Whats more, there ought to be more cohesion and unification around progress, eg if an idea is put forward discuss and if it is reasonable accept it and pass it on to whoever has the coding skill to make it happen. You can't all do your own merry thing and expect your game to survive. lists, discussions, action, progress is what you need. And a unification of vision :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

image.png

I can make a patch for this^

Basically a "4th rank" for Roman swordsmen: Centurion who rank up with xp. 

Or... they can be Upgrade Promotions available for Elite swordsmen, like upgrading a sentry tower to a defense tower. Just a limited number available.

What sounds more interesting? 

you would have to do that patch with several hellenistic civs.

14 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Be more specific.

This:

Hekatontarch.

Reforms in the late Seleucid and Ptolemaic armies re-organised them and tried to add some Roman aspects to formations. Stelae from Hermopolis show a Ptolemaic unit having a standard-bearer and other staff attached. This unit was like a Roman Maniple, being composed of two smaller units led by a Hekatontarch (i.e. a Centurion). The title of Hekatontarch appeared around the 250s BC in the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) which uses hekatontarchos (ἑκατοντάρχους acc. pl.) to refer to 'captains of hundreds' (eg 2Chr25:5). As well as this, Asclepiodotus describes in his 'Tactica' a new institution, the Syntagma, which had a standard-bearer, other staff and was composed of two smaller units led by Hekatontarchs. The Phalangarkhia, also described by Asclepiodotus, was about the size of a Roman Legion in strength. The potential Roman influence would have been great. In Ptolemaic Egypt, Roman adventurers and veterans are found commonly serving under the Ptolemies. Romans are found in Ptolemaic service as early as 252/1 BC. The Ptolemaic army was odd in that, out of all the Hellenistic armies, it was the only army where you could find Romans in Greek service. As Sekunda suggests 'such individuals would have spread knowledge of Roman military systems within the Ptolemaic military and political establishment'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemaic_army

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

image.png

I can make a patch for this^

Basically a "4th rank" for Roman swordsmen: Centurion who rank up with xp. 

Or... they can be Upgrade Promotions available for Elite swordsmen, like upgrading a sentry tower to a defense tower. Just a limited number available.

What sounds more interesting? 

This is a similar function proposed for Sparta already. I think it’s a good idea, but something to consider if you want it to be truly unique. 

14 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

This is a similar function proposed for Sparta already. I think it’s a good idea, but something to consider if you want it to be truly unique. 

Perhaps it could just be achieved with 2 different mechanics. The Roman 4th rank happens with xp, while the Spartan 4th rank happens with the 'upgrade' feature.

Wow that is some awesome art for those centurions!

I agree, the centurions are famous and the system of reforms they were a part of made a huge difference to the roman military.

I think in this case, it makes sense to be an upgrade for swordsmen that make it to rank 3. My thoughts are that you could allow a concurrent limit of 10 and make the upgrade fairly cheap and quick (25 food, 25 metal, 4 seconds maybe) and irreversible. The aura should be something like the Gaulish trumpeters, but a little stronger. Perhaps an aura of increased damage and speed? In this case, there may be some worry about overlap with the numerous hero bonuses affecting damage. In that case, maybe they should only affect infantry?

There is key difference however compared to those spartan "olympic champions" that were proposed: those units were automatically upgraded to their promoted form upon receiving the appropriate XP. Also there was no limit as far as I remember.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Perhaps it could just be achieved with 2 different mechanics. The Roman 4th rank happens with xp, while the Spartan 4th rank happens with the 'upgrade' feature.

Oh, I was going to say the other way around lol. Mainly because the spartans have no limit on olympic champions and they already cost 2 pop.

• Like 1

Proconsul 

Although "proconsul" is an official title only with respect to magistrates of ancient Rome, the word has also been applied to various British, U.S., and French officials. In the modern context, it is rarely a compliment. The terms satrap (from Persian) and viceroy (from French) are both used in a similar way.

Quaestor

Is good option too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaestor