All Civilizations are my favorite.

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 09/04/2022 at 1:38 AM, chrstgtr said:

also strong agree re officers. I think also suggested that somewhere back in the forums, though, and no one seemed interest. I think of something like that being a cool semi-hero bonus. 

I've often considered removing heroes and replacing them with officers, generals, and standard bearers, each with different auras. That was before I went all-in on the Hero RPG element in DE. They could still make an appearance if we got hard battalions. Imagine upgrading your battalions with officers and noisemakers (Carnyx for Celts, Aulos for Greeks,  Cornus for Romans, etc.), giving benefits. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fabius said:

So I was thinking, why did Triarii never get put as the Roman champion infantry.

Then I began thinking about how one might implement the change from Extraordinarii to Triarii. and in the same breath double down on emphasizing the humble Roman legionary and his sword.

Firstly the regular spearman has to go, for two reasons, one that triari are highly valued veterans, two because this reliance on spearmen for every faction does not fit with Rome.

So starting with the clipping of the spearmen we then must consider that now there is the issue with hastati having a metal cost.

This is resolved by adding a second phase technology that removes the metal cost and makes it a food or wood extra.

Now one is free to replace the Extraordinarii with the Triarii. 

To further add emphasis on legionaries one might add a second technology again in second or third phase that buffs hastati further. 

And as discussed a little back there is the centurion as well :) 

Nah, just make the Triarius trained at Elite rank, making them economically almost useless, but militarily strong, without losing their CS status. The Triarii weren't élite in the sense of being fantastic fighters, they were simply those soldiers in the oldest age-class and a level below the Equites in wealth. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I've often considered removing heroes and replacing them with officers, generals, and standard bearers, each with different auras. That was before I went all-in on the Hero RPG element in DE. They could still make an appearance if we got hard battalions. Imagine upgrading your battalions with officers and noisemakers (Carnyx for Celts, Aulos for Greeks,  Cornus for Romans, etc.), giving benefits. 

I think a simple aura bonus (something like the old woman eco bonus but for fighting) would be simple (easy to understand so the game doest become overly compacted) and nice (creates new strategies and features). It also wouldn’t require code changes or anything like that. 

ton of its options here for sure.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Nah, just make the Triarius trained at Elite rank, making them economically almost useless, but militarily strong, without losing their CS status. The Triarii weren't élite in the sense of being fantastic fighters, they were simply those soldiers in the oldest age-class and a level below the Equites in wealth. 

Understood :) 

5 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

I think a simple aura bonus (something like the old woman eco bonus but for fighting) would be simple (easy to understand so the game doest become overly compacted) and nice (creates new strategies and features). It also wouldn’t require code changes or anything like that. 

ton of its options here for sure.  

Auras would be a good feature to use more

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Roman Eagle standards :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabius said:

Takes over whole of known world and holds it for half a millennia. I already accepted your earlier point, but I do not think I am overrating to much given their accomplishments.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful although holding the "known world" (excluding india and bactria) is more a logistic feat than a military one. But then again I'm a self admitted philhellene so who am I to judge. I just think than conjuring waves after waves of levies is a roman hack and that overshadows most tactical brilliance on their part 

35 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

I didn't mean to be disrespectful although holding the "known world" (excluding india and bactria) is more a logistic feat than a military one. But then again I'm a self admitted philhellene so who am I to judge. I just think than conjuring waves after waves of levies is a roman hack and that overshadows most tactical brilliance on their part 

All good :) I am uncertain what a philhellene is, I am assuming its someone who loves all things Grecian. I like all things Roman, so yah :) 

Honestly most of the current game play feels like conjuring waves upon waves of levies lol. But I do agree I would prefer things that showcase their tactical brilliance, and not just for Rome either, while that will always my first civ of choice I do want worthy opponents and I do like to try new things as well when I feel the need.

The burning question then is how does one showcase the tactical genius :) 

18 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Because the game isn't slow enough already :)

The game is not slow, 12 minute third phase is hyper fast, there is no reason to do anything in second phase beyond prepping for third phase. Average games last half an hour if you lucky. less than five minutes if you really unlucky and get rushed.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 6:46 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Move Heroes to Civic Center unless otherwise stated.

At the very least, I think this should be the case for eco and building bonus heroes, like Pericles (Athenians), Xerxes (Persians), Britomaros (Gauls), and Ashoka the Great (Mauryans).  It would tempt more people to make them.  Well, maybe not Pericles so much, but...anyways.

I don't understand why Ptols and Seleucids only should have this bonus in terms of balance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gurken Khan said:

@Philip the SwaggerlessYou want to split up the heroes within one civ to different buildings? I don't know about that. Also I'm not sure if anybody would chose a hero depending in what building it's produced.

Any hero that can be produced in the CC can be produced sooner.  Currently, by the time you make the building for the hero, and then make the hero, the big p3 fight is starting.  If you can train the hero from the CC then maybe you can at least get a little eco benefit before all your soldiers go to fight.  I know I would try it.

• Like 2