Suggestion: Make new building orders by AI invisible to human player

mine_turtle

Hi, second topic before I forget.

To clarify a bit, the AI plops down a civic centre on my side of the river and the builders are yet to arrive. They have to take the loooong way round, so there is time before I notice anything at first.

But, I can actually see what is going to get built there (due to vision from a nearby outpost) - so I simply send a scout cavalry to deal with it with one hit.

- The AI keeps doing this and I keep one hitting it. Is the AI bleeding resources this way?

- Could the solution be to have the future placement of AI structures invisible to the human player - until the first building animation progress is made? This way I would only notice the stream of builders coming in and would have to deal with them once they are knocking at the door.

Although, thinking about it - the invisible placement should be able to block placing my own structures down on the same spot - so it could be possible to detect where the AI is trying to build. But maybe make it impossible to deal damage to an invisible 0 HP structure - and maybe set a timeout so if the AI is unable to reach the spot with the builders for some time (if I keep intercepting them) - then it auto cancels (and regains the resources).

- What do you think? Thoughts, suggestions.

• Like 1

If an unstarted constructionside gets destroyed, the player gets all the resources back. The more you build before you lose a constructionside, the more resources you lose.

Id prefer it if the AI learns to go to the spot before placing the constructionside, that might be a better solution than making AI constructionsides invisible.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Id prefer it if the AI learns to go to the spot before placing the constructionside

I was thinking the same thing - but my logic was that the AI needs a structure placement in order to "attract" builders there. I might be wrong - in which case your suggestion does sound better. Get a builder close to the future build site - and only start construction then.

Thanks for clearing up the resources lost part of my question.

I think planned constructions should be invisible for all players except the owners. It would make some situations (like places a building next to a enemy tower, or simply in a advanced position) more comfortable and avoid some possible exploit (like placing planned structures to attract enemy catapults fire away from your army).

8 minutes ago, alre said:

I think planned constructions should be invisible for all players except the owners.

What about the obstruction? Can the enemy still build on top and it's about who starts building first?

11 minutes ago, alre said:

avoid some possible exploit

Could also deduct some resources, like the foundation already costs x% of the total or such.

32 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Third alternative would be to make it visible for allies. Would help co-op in TGs.

nice.

31 minutes ago, hyperion said:

What about the obstruction? Can the enemy still build on top and it's about who starts building first?

that would be best, I think.

33 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Could also deduct some resources, like the foundation already costs x% of the total or such.

possible. it should be well documented in any case.

• Like 1