Cryptography

• 2 weeks later...

You see right through my Multi-Litteral cipher :P It takes a 5 letter keyword, so I obviously picked Jonas,

To crack it just set up a 5X5 grid:

J  O  N  A  S

J  A  B  C  D  E

O F  G  H  I  K

N L  M  N  O  P

A Q  R  S  T  U

S V  W  X  Y  Z

and take the row letter, then column letter for each plaintext character. So, A is JJ. Pretty simple, but I don't think I'm putting it in my paper now since it strays a bit too far off my thesis of mathematical methods used (to decipher it you use a brute force attack, there are not that many combinations of 5 unique letters)

• 2 weeks later...

hm...if you havent read it you really should, The Code Book by Singh, don't remember his first name, might be Simon. It goes thru almost all of that you're going to write about (found about 5-6 things it doesnt). Really worth its read.

Post the essay here when your done, im a bit interested in cryptography myself.

Which book by him, 1999 or 2000 edition?

OhioLink search...

Unfortunately those books aren't at my local university, so I can only check them out for two weeks (I get a whole year checkout at JCU). Thanks for the tips, I can use more sources.

As for it being finished, I'll try and get my rough draft done by September. It's due in January, and I don't want to pull off an AK_thug amish and frantically type the whole thing winter break.