[Solved] Ranged Infantry & Hellenistic Defense Tower

Thales

I  garrisoned Athenian Peltastes Thrakikos (as a ranged unit) in a tower with the assumption that they could "shoot" at attackers thereby adding to the defense factor and killing those attacking the tower.  Unfortunately, I could not tell if that was actually the case due to the lack of a visual cue.  Any confirmation if that is the case?

Edited by Thales
Solved

• Thales changed the title to [Solved] Ranged Infantry & Hellenistic Defense Tower
26 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Also it needs to be said that if towers fire multiple arrows, they don't focus them on a single target. Which means that instead of killing 2 out of 3, all might escape and be healed from their injuries.

Yeah. I believe somewhere it used to say that putting a rally point would concentrate fire there; couldn't find it now, always had the feeling it doesn't work anyway.

(I wished I could order my towers to not shoot at a specific target. AI's storehouses in range of my towers are such a great bait, I even wished I could repair those...)

I liked this one, as that is what happened.

First decrease the population limit in game setup to either 100 or 150 as you progress.  At this population limit its much harder for the enemy to overwhelm you with a massive army early in the game. (emphasis added)

This was also helpful, since I remember from the MS version of Age of Empires, which I had long since forgotten about.

keep your workers' walking distances short: build farms next to CC/farmstead, build storehouses near wood/minerals (emphasis added)

One thing that has really slowed me down, is which building is which? I know that you can click on the building to "activate" it which identifies the building, but having a hover label on a building would be helpful. Yes, the building look different, but as of yet, have not developed that sensitivity to the visual cues.  Would be nice to have building labels pop-up when the mouse hovers over it.

Edited by Thales

1 hour ago, Thales said:

having a hover label on a building would be helpful.

You can identify it before you build it:

0ad-mousehovertooltip.jpg.b97c578dbb9be4c4622e8976c2ebf411.jpg

With buildings already built, I agree that it can be difficult. At least for me, even after some years of playing. And depending on the civ. But since I put down every building with some thought why I put it there, finding the right type doesn't take me too much effort...

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

You can identify it before you build it:

True, but there is an irony in that. I have a 4K monitor, the graphics are absolutely superb. However, when it gets down to text (labels) and the panel for choosing the building, the text and icons are very small. Plus, I have a degree of visual impairment.