===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 27)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 13/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Now, if only we could distinguish between "highland", "midland", and "lowland." Not make it a requirement for every map script to use those distinctions, but just have the ability available. So that we could have pine forests in the mountains and oak forests in the midlands, and palm forests in the lowlands. Things like that. And then put wolves and bears in the highlands and midlands, with lions in the lowlands. Goats in the highlands, camels in the lowlands. I'm sure you get it. Maybe too complicated. :)

Doesn't sound too complicated. There's already a few functions that determine the height at a specific point, or to set constraints (such as height).

It would add little more code, but I don't see it as being complicated. @maroderdoes that sound about right to you?

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, andy5995 said:

It would add little more code, but I don't see it as being complicated. @maroderdoes that sound about right to you?

does sound about right, but the question is just what is the right abstraction level for the biomes that fit for most maps?

Would most maps only use these three terrains? Do we want to have more abstraction levels and how do we handle them? How do we want / how do we handle the inheritance of data between different biomes that share most of their code ect...

So yes it sounds straight forward we just need to think about and code all these details.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 5:49 AM, maroder said:

does sound about right, but the question is just what is the right abstraction level for the biomes that fit for most maps?

Would most maps only use these three terrains? Do we want to have more abstraction levels and how do we handle them? How do we want / how do we handle the inheritance of data between different biomes that share most of their code ect...

So yes it sounds straight forward we just need to think about and code all these details.

We just have to make an executive decision and choose a number of levels. I think lowlands/midlands/highlands is more than enough abstraction levels. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

We just have to make an executive decision and choose a number of levels. I think lowlands/midlands/highlands is more than enough abstraction levels. 

I agree that three levels should be perfectly adequate.

Seems like once the other details are worked out, this should be implemented on 2 or 3 maps before the next release, then changed as the feedback comes pouring in or bugs are discovered.

Gotta figure out the heights yet for each of those levels though.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:09 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah true. But even then the framework should allow for an easy expansion/ addition of more data if a map needs it, so I think the best route would be to make the biome a class and give it methods to allow updating / mix n match between biomes. Just need to find the time to do it ...

On 11/11/2022 at 3:26 AM, andy5995 said:

Gotta figure out the heights yet for each of those levels though.

I would not define heights within the biomes as it is extremely different between all the maps.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...