===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 27)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

6 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

I would say they should be rotated, else it becomes too uniform (says the person with entity variety set to "0").

Large Metal mines already have 4 variations, for example, so then adding random rotation kinda takes it too far. I acknowledge it is a subtle thing, and the reflexive reply would be something along the lines of what you said, but sometimes I think there can be too much randomness for quick recognition. In the skirmish maps I make, I tend to not rotate the large mines (for just the reason I stated) and no one would complain about the lack of variation on the map. :) 

11 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Would you consider an option in the settings for this? Players could decide whether their visual recognition of the mines suffers or not.

Could you disable mines rotation when the setting of entity variety is set to "0" and enable it otherwise?

Thing is, the rotation isn't entirely visual, the obstruction (a square shape) is also rotated, which then affects the rotation of buildings which may snap to it.

2 hours ago, Freagarach said:

I guess I should start playing skirmish maps once in a while. :)

Miletus Peninsula is bausssss.

28 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Miletus Peninsula is bausssss.

The problem is we need at least four-player maps to have any resistance.
We tried Thessalian Plains (4) today, but got bashed by the three AIs. (SVN r25893: commands.txtmetadata.json) Probably due to too little aggression from our side. If we would have raided that 500+ resource trading route sooner we could have stood our ground perhaps. (We _are_ open for tips.)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Thing is, the rotation isn't entirely visual, the obstruction (a square shape) is also rotated, which then affects the rotation of buildings which may snap to it.

But once you set entity variety and started a game, the behaviour would not change, right? Maybe I'm missing the point, but why is rotation (or non-rotation) of the (square) obstruction and different snap of neighbouring buildings relevant if it is either set off or on?

21 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

The problem is we need at least four-player maps to have any resistance.
We tried Thessalian Plains (4) today, but got bashed by the three AIs. (SVN r25893: commands.txtmetadata.json) Probably due to too little aggression from our side. If we would have raided that 500+ resource trading route sooner we could have stood our ground perhaps. (We _are_ open for tips.)

Saharan Oases 4p, my guy

20 minutes ago, Ceres said:

But once you set entity variety and started a game, the behaviour would not change, right? Maybe I'm missing the point, but why is rotation (or non-rotation) of the (square) obstruction and different snap of neighbouring buildings relevant if it is either set off or on?

Because it's not a "graphics" setting if it affects the simulation. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2021 at 3:42 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Suggestion: Mines should not be rotated randomly, to assist in visual recognition. Thoughts? 

It seems to me that the variations have a bigger influence on instantly recognizing a metal deposit or not; so rotation or not doesn't matter to me at all.

Which doesn't mean I'm against variations, there's been progress on making metal recognizable.

Edit: What would help me more is if the colors for animals and metal would be more distinguishable on the minimap. I really have a hard time telling those apart; I have to memorize the location of the metal deposits to not keep checking if it's game.

Edited by Gurken Khan

22 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Edit: What would help me more is if the colors for animals and metal would be more distinguishable on the minimap. I really have a hard time telling those apart; I have to memorize the location of the metal deposits to not keep checking if it's game.

See proposal for a26 there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/09/2021 at 10:17 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Reduced the number of trees again on India.

I didn't find anything: was there also something done to make the trees more passable?

0ad-frigginindia.jpg.6e346fb981d55eafc58fde930aeffea8.jpg

I ordered four woman to build and they just can't get through or around this patch of trees. (Well, one did, after half a minute or so...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • wowgetoffyourcellphone changed the title to ===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 27)