shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme

maroder

3 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

mmmh I think is more those hard, straight angles of the notch in the top that host the logo that have a different "vibe" (or design language), compared than the rest. It's a detail I would agree with.

Maybe a further improvement would be to have it round, so it can host the logo more softly, or maybe a square, without those angles. The logo could be a little bit smaller to fit more armoniously with the rest.

These are really small details if you want to reach a 100%. The overall look is an amazing 98% nevertheless!! And I hope it will be implemented into the game, is very refreshing to see!

is the advantage that there is someone else with my kind of expertise in the project.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok thanks, now I get what you mean :D

11 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You can see that the margin at the top with the "0" is very low, at the bottom you have the same problem and more serious and the final dot (.) also has that problem.

11 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

just increase the central element.

Yeah I did that deliberately, since the logo takes up too much space otherwise. But yes maybe I will increase the margin in the next iteration or decrease the logo size.

11 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

Maybe a further improvement would be to have it round, so it can host the logo more softly, or maybe a square, without those angles.

mh yes, maybe I will revert back the the last round design or a rectangular one.

I just have a hard time with the logo. It's at the same time round an also not centered due to the text.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, maroder said:

ok thanks, now I get what you mean :D

Yeah I did that deliberately, since the logo takes up too much space otherwise. But yes maybe I will increase the margin in the next iteration or decrease the logo size.

mh yes, maybe I will revert back the the last round design or a rectangular one.

I just have a hard time with the logo. It's at the same time round an also not centered due to the text.

we artists are very picky. sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

seems like the backround is a bit broken.

oh wow yes that looks bad.

Does 32:9 actually work with the original design?

I will put in on my list of things to look at for the next release. Can't promise that I will find a solution tho.

• Like 1

• maroder changed the title to shiny - an alternative main menu

Uhmm a bit better :) thanks for trying that out! 

Okay, if you want a real feedback : the shape is okay, but it's still a bit too big and cumbersome in my opinion. Before it had the advantage to look more sleek and minimal with the rest. Now it really gets all the attention!

i'd say that a good compromise could be a mix of both : making it look more subtle as before (smaller proportions) but i also think this rectangular shape fits better! 

try also with a simple rectangular without those wings. It shouldn't be "noticed", a simple shape could work just fine. It may be worth to try and see, maybe with wings can be still better though! 

ehehe sorry for being annoying you asked for it!! :P ahaha i'm kidding: do what you can. The rest is still amazing! :)

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

Before it had the advantage to look more sleek and minimal with the rest.

yeah, I abandoned the minimal approach for this version. Still not happy with it, but I didn't find anything better.

So if anyone wants to give me new ideas (preferably with a draft) I would be very interested to see that :D

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, alre said:

maybe a bit out of style? respect to the logo iself I mean.

Yeah if you have an idea how it may look better feel free to make a draft. I made so many different versions and wasn't satisfied with any of them, so I'm open to new ideas :)

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

If you click on the logo, something happens, or is it ornamental?

It's ornamental for now, but the question is rather should something happen? And if yes what?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alre said:

getting better and better! maybe a bit out of style? respect to the logo iself I mean.

ahahahaha he will go absolutely insane with all the feedbacks! :lmao:

Is not your fault, Alre.. but he already made quite a few proposals also for that shape and, at the end it's been settled with that box with those decorations.. I also think is not bad. My only comment was to make it more subtle, so reducing some 20% the dimensions and maybe the border can be a little bit thinner.

I think that with those small adjustements it will fit smoothly with the rest! :)

• Like 2

Yeah, this is the best draft at the moment and according to the 80/20 rule the last tweaks to make it look perfect will take me way to much time. (And I'm out of ideas)

So if someone has a different nice design idea I would really like to see it, otherwise I will probably only try some smaller adjustments like @Radiotraining mentioned for the next version.

Edited by maroder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

I must say that I liked the opaque play buttons (LTP, SP, MP) more than the solid ones now. It just cuts through the background too much now, IMHO. But maybe other feel differently.

Yeah, I agree, but the opaqueness makes it also harder to read on the very bright old backgrounds... Its a trade-off for sure. But thanks for the feedback, I will keep it in mind for the next version.

The idea in the back of my head is to make the color exchangeable by the user though an graphics option (but maybe that would be over the top)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palaiologos said:

Love the refined, modernized look on version 3.1. What about having multiple background images (say a dozen or so maybe?) (especially @wowgetoffyourcellphone works) that are cycled so each time the game is run one would get a different one? 

Thanks! yeah It took a while :D I am working on new images, but it's a slow process. I would like to include more e.g. the ones from DE, but the licensing of the DE ones is a bit unclear to me.

• Like 3

Thank you. Looks nice
Small fix missing translations for non-English interface in shiny:

--- /dev/null
+++ globalscripts/rename.js
+function rename(maingamevalue, newvalue)
+{
+        const translate_mgv = translate(maingamevalue);
+        const translate_nv  = translate(newvalue);
+        if (translate_mgv != maingamevalue && translate_nv == newvalue)
+                return translate_mgv;
+        return translate_nv;
+}
--- gui/pregame/ProjectInformationItems.js.orig
+++ gui/pregame/ProjectInformationItems.js
-		"caption": translate("Translate the Game"),
+		"caption": rename("Translate the Game", "Translate"),
--- gui/pregame/TopMenuItems.js.orig
+++ gui/pregame/TopMenuItems.js
-		"caption": translate("Map Editor"),
+		"caption": rename("Scenario Editor", "Map Editor"),
--- gui/pregame/CenterMenuItems.js.orig