shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme

maroder

Not sure if it is BoonGUI or Shiny mod that are causing trouble. It was working fine yesterday. I did notting inbetween so strangely today I got the same looking error beaviour as yesterday. I just see the background image and the white line in the start screen. And theese errors appear: https://pastebin.com/deuSGaAU

Removing Shiny from folder and then disabling it removes errors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Not sure if it is BoonGUI or Shiny mod that are causing trouble. It was working fine yesterday. I did notting inbetween so strangely today I got the same looking error beaviour as yesterday. I just see the background image and the white line in the start screen. And theese errors appear: https://pastebin.com/deuSGaAU

Removing Shiny from folder and then disabling it removes errors.

sorry can't reproduce your errors. It works fine for me with the following versions and installation order:

image.thumb.png.bf50a383c3377cd5ea5d2314f6c2c7fb.png

It also works for me in combination with autociv:

image.thumb.png.ebf5f5ccc9dc0a9ccdff63add8bb3d77.png

Do you use a different versions of boonGUI?

Edited by maroder
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 9:56 AM, Stan` said:

By default the installed mods are sorted by name. You can sort them by version, by folder, by dependencies, by website and by  display name.

For enabled mods, the top one is the first one that gets overriden by all the mods below it.

How about this?

Enabled Mods (mods further below overwrite settings of mods further up)

In SVN the result looks like this:

grafik.thumb.png.5b3f603e743b57b3615f1b441a5ef358.png

This is the file I edited: /binaries/data/mods/mod/gui/modmod/modmod.xml

I would like to create a diff, if the above change makes sense at all. I am currently on Debian 11.

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

If the order of installation matters

I think the terms are a bit problematic here. For the game installed means you have downloaded them and but them in the mods directory. For that the order is not important.

Only if you enable the installed mods the order gets important.

The problem here is that in normal language use enable = install.... (Or at least I use it interchangeably, so my fault for causing confusion)

Edited by maroder
  • Like 2

If I see it right, the user can change the sorting of the available mods but not of the enabled mods. A longer explanation might be necessary but the crisper, the better. ;) Admittedly, I still have problems to fully understand what really matters in regard to the order of installed mods (either via mod.io or manually). Hence, currently I don't know how to proceed. I'm happy to further discuss it here.

@maroder Please accept my apologies that the thread about your great mod got hijacked a bit. If I shall open an extra thread about the order of mods in general, I am happy to do so.

• Like 1

Thank you. I understand that the user needs to read the docs that go along with the mods to see whether they change a lot or less, and then decide on the order of the mods to be loaded, and that this cannot be automated. However, at the moment it seems that the user needs to first deactivate all/or affected mods and then acivate them again so they come loaded in the correct order.

Wouldn't it make sense then to add a possibility to resort mods manually and add a button "Reload"?

PS: Would this describe it correctly?

Enabled Mods (loaded from top to bottom, i.e. top ones might overwrite settings from bottom ones)

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

So like this:

grafik.thumb.png.40fcd95bcd1e50eb6795b82ca16b3256.png

Here is the diff:

114c114
< 				<translatableAttribute id="caption">Enabled Mods</translatableAttribute>
---
> 				<translatableAttribute id="caption">Enabled Mods (loaded from top to bottom, i.e. bottom ones might overwrite settings from top ones)</translatableAttribute>

Unified:

--- modmod.xml_ORG	2021-08-31 15:28:30.858046000 +0200
+++ modmod.xml	2021-09-03 09:58:26.357587903 +0200
@@ -111,7 +111,7 @@
 		<object size="16 62% 100%-15 100%-84">

<object style="ModernLabelText" type="text" size="0 5 100% 25">
-				<translatableAttribute id="caption">Enabled Mods</translatableAttribute>
+				<translatableAttribute id="caption">Enabled Mods (loaded from top to bottom, i.e. bottom ones might overwrite settings from top ones)</translatableAttribute>
 			</object>

<object name="modsEnabledList"

@maroder@Stan`

Is this content-wise ok and is also the diff ok to be used? How would I (if I were entitled doing so) proceed if you agree?

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceres said:

is this content-wise ok

I guess so.

11 hours ago, Ceres said:

is also the diff ok to be used

Don't think so, the context is missing. You have to go to the 0 A.D root folder, open the command line there and type in

svn diff -x -U5000

or optionally

svn diff -x -U5000 > text-output.patch

to save it as a text file.

Then you have to make an account here: https://code.wildfiregames.com/

and upload the patch there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the need for placing additional information about enabled mods, I decided to create a new thread for it, as it is not related to this "shiny - an alternative main menu UI" mod by @maroder

For interested people, please look there.

Now BTT, and please accept my apologies for my OT stuff here.  ;)

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 2

Just now, maroder said:

not 100% sure what you mean. the golden outline?

I would have to show it graphically.

Perceptual mind gives the feeling that the logo is coming off. (Design psychology).

The mind tends to see objects as real things that can fall and are subject to physics.

The size is always increased where they are contained. That would be aesthetics and perception.

I can't imagine how it works at different resolutions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, maroder said:

sorry, still don't quite get what you mean.

So you would want the logo smaller in comparison to the surrounding background?

image.png.a586a39c1e44d3a3ddbba6cf8c2d9cf4.png

the minimum area of the logo should be this, the red square.

why?

image.png.98f174b3824fb437c4c9de207ec9d3da.png

in graphic design logos have margins, officially 0 A.D. does not.

You can see that the margin at the top with the "0" is very low, at the bottom you have the same problem and more serious and the final dot (.) also has that problem.

image.png.54587d43856b1a95c1e90a20fbbd939c.png

just increase the central element.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mmmh I think is more those hard, straight angles of the notch in the top that host the logo that have a different "vibe" (or design language), compared than the rest. It's a detail I would agree with.

Maybe a further improvement would be to have it round, so it can host the logo more softly, or maybe a square, without those angles. The logo could be a little bit smaller to fit more armoniously with the rest.

These are really small details if you want to reach a 100%. The overall look is an amazing 98% nevertheless!! And I hope it will be implemented into the game, is very refreshing to see!

• Like 3

• maroder changed the title to shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme