shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme

maroder

6 hours ago, Ceres said:

Could you please elaborate a bit more about what this means and how one could use it/ contribute? Thank you!

Before packaging mods was a hassle because you had to download mods and put them in correct directories and whatnot. Now I can just create a github release and the pipeline takes care of the rest. Then I can download the pyromod turn it into a zip sign it and upload it to mod.io.

You can also download the pyromod and install it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,
A27 is getting ready, so I am planning to update this mod to have it available at the release.

So now would be a good time for some feedback / feature requests/ any bug reports.

Besides the request for bug reports - I do like some visual novelty once in a while (and I have looked the the temple of vesta for quite some time now).

So I have some drafts for new background images that could be included in the next (A27) version if you (i.e the users of the mod) find any of them nice enough. (Note: they are not 100% finished, but should give a good impression of how they will look like)

If you like any of these options and want to see them in the mod let me know - and if you don't like any of them and none should be included let me know as well.

Option 1: David / the victor

screenshot0742.png

Option 2: Athena & ruins

screenshot0745.png

Option 3: Road to victory

entry.PNG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, maroder said:

Hey everyone,
A27 is getting ready, so I am planning to update this mod to have it available at the release.

So now would be a good time for some feedback / feature requests/ any bug reports.

Besides the request for bug reports - I do like some visual novelty once in a while (and I have looked the the temple of vesta for quite some time now).

So I have some drafts for new background images that could be included in the next (A27) version if you (i.e the users of the mod) find any of them nice enough. (Note: they are not 100% finished, but should give a good impression of how they will look like)

If you like any of these options and want to see them in the mod let me know - and if you don't like any of them and none should be included let me know as well.

screenshot0742.png

screenshot0745.png

entry.PNG

I really liked this line of art, all very good, do we have more of these for other cultures too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maroder said:

For option 1 and 2 the button placing is a bit unfavorable. Option 2 is still in the realm of ok-ish. Maybe placing the main buttons vertically would make it much easier on art. The stargate (option 3) works tho.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maroder said:

Hey everyone,

screenshot0742.png

screenshot0745.png

entry.PNG

Yes yes and yes

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lopess said:

do we have more of these for other cultures too?

those are all for now. more may come if I have motivation, time and high quality cc0 models of other cultures (which tend to be harder to find)

9 hours ago, hyperion said:

For option 1 and 2 the button placing is a bit unfavorable. Option 2 is still in the realm of ok-ish. Maybe placing the main buttons vertically would make it much easier on art. The stargate (option 3) works tho

stargate - now that you say it; loI indeed. Regarding a vertical layout: I have gotten that feedback from several people. Generally I tend to like the horizontal layout more, imo it fits better to the screen ratio (and allows for easy drop-down menus). But I'm not opposed to try a vertical layout if more people would favor that.

But .... that would still block the center of the image. So Davids head would need to be moved either way and the current temple of Vesta as well. I do agree tho, the buttons are a bit unfavorably placed for option 1.

• Like 1

Do the buttons have to be centered, or could you place them dynamically (more to the sides, top, or bottom), based on the background? (vertically or horizontally, maybe even depending on the screen ratio & resolution)

Is there some generally agreed upon harmonised and documented UX theme?

Or are all UX items placed hardcoded as they seem to fit in respective menus?

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Do the buttons have to be centered, or could you place them dynamically

they can be placed dynamically, but that sounds mostly confusing doing that based on the current background.

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Is there some generally agreed upon harmonised and documented UX theme?

no/ not that I know of. But that being said, the base game has a somewhat coherent art style regarding all the menus.

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Or are all UX items placed hardcoded as they seem to fit in respective menus?

for the most part: yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/02/2023 at 9:53 AM, maroder said:

Hey everyone,

screenshot0742.png

screenshot0745.png

entry.PNG

On 11/02/2023 at 5:52 PM, Ceres said:

All of them are very impressive, and I like them. Thank you very much!

This is very true and i agree.

On 11/02/2023 at 1:03 PM, hyperion said:

Maybe placing the main buttons vertically would make it much easier on art.

This might be worth a thought. Because the buttons are centered within the image space. If they were vertical for instance, they would split it in two sections instead of a frame. Possibly it can create a more smooth look. On the other hand, i like the accessibility of the shiny buttons too, so this probably is no purely cosmetic decision.

Whatever the case: good work here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grapjas said:

is it possible with current code to use all 3 and just switch background after 10s or so? With a bit of a fadeIn fadeOut nicety. Or everytime when you enter the main menu a different one from array will load in would be nice too.

I think an automatic slideshow would be a bit distracting. On the other hand I would love to get a random background on each game launch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Grapjas said:

is it possible with current code to use all 3 and just switch background after 10s or so? With a bit of a fadeIn fadeOut nicety.

Should be possible with some extra work (one would need to implement a specific timer first) but I agree with @vv221 that this might be a bit too much.

Changing every time you go back to the main menu seems nice but iirc it should do that already if you go to any fullscreen gui page ?. I.e. if you go back from the gamesetup/ the replay page / the mod selection it should change. I am not sure if it is desired that it also changes when you just have a small window on top of the main menu and you can still see the current background. (E.g. when opening the options)

I think in that case we would certainly need a slow fade out / fade in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vv221 said:

I think an automatic slideshow would be a bit distracting. On the other hand I would love to get a random background on each game launch.

+1 to this.

7 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

On button placement, I'd say moving them close to the bottom would work pretty well.

+1 too. At the top or bottom would make easier the background design.

I just share two different alternatives. (ignore the black rectangle in the middle, ofc)image.thumb.png.c63ead98bb4be18a79444be4e72a9ce0.pngimage.thumb.png.671995cded6eed9c9108f865f65750f8.png

Edited by guerringuerrin
  • Like 2

The problem when moving them to the bottom is that you can't have a drop-down menu anymore. And a drop up menu looks bad imo.

So moving them closer to the top might be an option, but unless you make them smaller as in @guerringuerrin's example, this quickly looks unbalanced (And I do prefer that these buttons are big, since they hold the most important functionality)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 4:26 PM, maroder said:

Should be possible with some extra work (one would need to implement a specific timer first) but I agree with @vv221 that this might be a bit too much.

The only reason I see to use more than one background is one can't bear to remove the others. It's certainly better to stick to one from an UX point of view and change it only on new release.

---

As for vertical orientation of main buttons, I'd place them roughly where Athena upper body is in the above screenshot, just in case you are still brooding this question.

28 minutes ago, hyperion said:

As for vertical orientation of main buttons, I'd place them roughly where Athena upper body is in the above screenshot, just in case you are still brooding this question.

No, that part was relatively clear to me, I'm rather thinking about how to handle the sub-menus. I.e would you want them just on the right hand side as it is the case with the current menu? Because that would look a bit unbalanced imo.

On the other hand, one could possibly still have a drop-down, that just overlays the button beneath it. Not quite sure how that would look like.

1 hour ago, maroder said:

No, that part was relatively clear to me, I'm rather thinking about how to handle the sub-menus. I.e would you want them just on the right hand side as it is the case with the current menu? Because that would look a bit unbalanced imo.

On the other hand, one could possibly still have a drop-down, that just overlays the button beneath it. Not quite sure how that would look like.

To the right, maybe a different page would make sense as well. Covering existing buttons I'd say is bad practice.

• Like 1

• maroder changed the title to shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme