shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme

maroder

• maroder changed the title to shiny - an alternative main menu UI
9 minutes ago, Stan` said:

A way to do it would be to create fake buttons with the dropshadow

Tried that, but then you have to use a very blurred shadow to accommodate for the different strings and translations and in the end its looks more like a smudge. But yes I will try to find an option that works with light backgrounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, maroder said:

Tried that, but then you have to use a very blurred shadow to accommodate for the different strings and translations and in the end its looks more like a smudge. But yes I will try to find an option that works with light backgrounds.

Well you could render the text on a purple background and generate a drop shadow from it in gimp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maroder said:

Look at the base styles and how they are defined, you can control how the textures are streched when the dimensions change, perfectly doable with current gui code.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Well you could render the text on a purple background and generate a drop shadow from it in gimp.

That's what I did in my tests:

image.png.a9a73910a794d695642bd5d2b5a35629.png

Maybe I overlook something, but wouldn't that mean that I have to do this for every button and every translation?

35 minutes ago, nani said:

Look at the base styles and how they are defined, you can control how the textures are streched when the dimensions change, perfectly doable with current gui code.

thanks, will have a look again. My main issue is that I prefer the above style ^ over this:

image.png.6583b2daf3c453242272717b741def3b.png

• Like 1

Completly broke my installation. I have tried to reinstall, uninstall and remove all asosiated folders etc. No matter what i do i just get the new background with no functional text links as should be. And there is a whole lot of errors. Also the full screen mode override even taskmanager so I have to reboot to do anything after an attempt to open 0ad. 

https://pastebin.com/gMQJ3Stw

EDIT: Found mods in the very place they were supposed to be. I used to have a different path "My Games\0ad" on D drive. But after a recent reinstallation it is located in C drive. Shall see if I can get it working now.

Edited by woodpecker
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 6:30 AM, woodpecker said:

Ok, I got it working fine now it seems. Maybe there is importance of what order the mods are installed?

Sorry for the inconvenience. yeah the order is definitely important, because if they change the same files, these changes get overridden.

Hard to tell exactly in what order mods should be installed (or if they are compatible) without checking what they change, but as a rule of thumb I would recommend installing (means: enabling) the heaviest mods first (who change the most/do the most work) and then the lighter ones on top (in the sense of after/later).

And as Shiny only changes some buttons/ the menu/ loading screen it should probably be the last thing you install.

Edited by maroder
clarification
  • Like 1

And to expand on your comment /further information for anyone experiencing something similar:

Under normal circumstances mods are not able to wreck your installation as the changes are not permanent. When there are errors or you can't start 0 A.D. anymore, you just have to find your user.cfg file and change the line with: mod.enabledmods to only "mod public".

Alternatively you can find the folder with the mods and delete them and everything should work again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• maroder changed the title to shiny - alternative main menu & UI theme