Feldmap

Feldfeld

2 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Please consider removing "IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks" in mod.json for feldmap. It has an unintended side effect of not ensuring that players are using the same version of the mod. This can lead to game crashes or OOS errors at seemingly random times if players have different versions, which is very common.

Did this actually happen? I believe it is impossible. The only thing my mod change are the generations of the new maps added by the mod, namely Mainland Balanced and Alpine Mountains. There is nothing changed to any other aspect of the game.
If map generation is different, it will be the case from the very start of the game. The simulation is different, and it will be detected immediately by the game (which I believe has an efficient hash-based mismatch detector).
My update to feldmap removed Nubia from the Mainland Balanced biome, that's all it did. I believe it is impossible it will induce crashes or OOS like you describe.
I already have instructions ready if players face an OOS/crash at the very beginning of the game on the Mainland Balanced map only, which is the only moment it could happen if my logic is correct. I also didn't receive complaints about it.

Personally I observed a few OOS at beginning of alpha 26, and I didn't yet update my mod at the time IIRC.

9 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

Did this actually happen? I believe it is impossible.

I haven't tested it, but there are a lot of complaints of crashed and disconnected games recently. Would you rather roll up your sleeves and help people with the troubleshooting process or do the easier thing and eliminate all possibility that feldmap is causing the problem? What's the benefit to having IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks, anyway? People should absolutely be using the same version of the mod if Mainland TG is in use. We haven't tested all code paths with differing versions.

Ā 

Edited by Norse_Harold

I have the impression (cant be sure) that if I participate as an observer with another version, this sync error occurs. happened to me the day before yesterday. that would be an explanation. I don't know if that was the reason but I suspect it was. sometimes i have to switch between versions to watch replays. At first I was concerned that the cause could be an own mod development. but that would have surprised me. now I'm pretty sure it wasn't my mod. i will (it is best) use always (first) use the latest feldfel version.

Edited by seeh

1 hour ago, Norse_Harold said:

I haven't tested it, but there are a lot of complaints of crashed and disconnected games recently. Would you rather roll up your sleeves and help people with the troubleshooting process or do the easier thing and eliminate all possibility that feldmap is causing the problem? What's the benefit to having IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks, anyway? People should absolutely be using the same version of the mod if Mainland TG is in use. We haven't tested all code paths with differing versions.

Ā 

Well, what happened already with the troubleshooting process of wave of OOS? I have not been informed if this happens exclusively with Mainland Balanced (that would quite clearly be an issue), or if this happens in Mainland too. For more than a year, players without feldmap have played TGs on Mainland with players using feldmap without any issue because the mod is compatible and doesn't change Mainland generation in any way.
(also do players play TGs on Mainland Balanced now? Last I knew they didn't and preferred Mainland)

The benefit of IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks is to allow players having the mod to play games (like TGs) with players that don't have feldmap. Otherwise, players would have to disable it to join a game, or won't be motivated, split, and make their own game. Or players without feldmap (like pure TG players) will be forced to install it to play a normal game, which is more bloat on top of possibly them not knowing what could expect. This can lead to a 4-way split in lobby and more annoyance overall.

Edit: also anyone motivated could install feldmap 0.2.0 and watch the replays of round 2 of my tournament, which have been played in 0.2.1, they will see that they won't have any issue watching them.

Edited by Feldfeld
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

Well, what happened already with the troubleshooting process of wave of OOS?

I'm not aware of an OOS wave. But usually even when they are reported we are missing information. We need the ooslog of all players or at least the host and the one out of sync

• Feldfeld changed the title to Feldmap
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, seeh said:

?

Ā 

sure i tried everything . did not found in the archivve here:

here i found older versions, https://mod.io/g/0ad/m/Feldmap

Ā  Look at the bottom of the first post of the thread. You can also find the a25 version here btw.

On 27/08/2021 at 12:03 PM, Feldfeld said:

This mod adds the map "Mainland balanced" (https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4232)

Thanks @badosuĀ for fulfilling the community's interest in balanced maps by providing a nice bunch of balanced maps for a23 and a24

Currently, only the starting food surrounding players is modified. Also, straggler berries are not modified yet (which can lead to imbalances). And the biome only slightly affects the total amount of food, and it currently doesn't affect the berry/hunt ratio, this is something I will change later.

This removes Jungle (too laggy) and Nubia (wood too imbalanced) biomes until they get fixed.

Alpine Mountains is also included (https://code.wildfiregames.com/D2830,Ā 

)

The mod is now available through the in game downloader! (mod.io).

Manual download here otherwise (updated a27, current version 0.3.0):

feldmap-0.3.0.pyromod 356 kBĀ Ā·Ā 16 downloads
Ā 

feldmap-0.3.0.zip 356 kBĀ Ā·Ā 18 downloads

a26 archive:

Old (a25 version):

Ā 

7 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

Ā  Look at the bottom of the first post of the thread. You can also find the a25 version here btw.

ah. now i found it. i was google and search for 0ad archive in the www.
but needs to click aon "hidden content" in the first post. that was the trick. i was waching in the first post by: Strg and search.
but i was not seeing the button "Ā  Hide contents " ty

• 2 months later...

I spent 30 minutes and couldn't find out how to apply the mod! some games are grey colored and so unplayable for me. I just enter to loby an can not join games. sad.

this mods have unfriendly interface to use it right now. could u plese just write in README on github how to use it

2 hours ago, kheeva said:

I spent 30 minutes and couldn't find out how to apply the mod! some games are grey colored and so unplayable for me. I just enter to loby an can not join games. sad.

this mods have unfriendly interface to use it right now. could u plese just write in README on github how to use it

Feldmap doesn't use compatibility check. Perhaps your issue is caused by another mod? Could you take a screenshot of your ingame mod selection screen?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm finally working toward finishing the mod, starting with wood balance.

screenshot0001.thumb.png.932b86aeb9b48a480b72ea582b538ed7.png

Roadmap:

- Release 1.0.0: Wood balance, straggler berry tree balance.

- Release 2.0.0: Hidden map gen zone of control mechanic, to allow large scale resource balance while still having the map look natural, and be resilient under varying map size/number of players. Metal/Stone balance.

At this point I will view Mainland Balanced as feature complete. Then I will consider porting the changes to other maps or merging stuff to 0 A.D.

• Like 4

Textures and models are artists work which is not in my expertise. That being said, the wood rebalance should make every biome perfectly playable. So as result of the mod update you should see more diverse biomes being played which if you're used to only playing temperate would be a big improvement.

If even with the update the community keeps playing the same biome I don't know what I can do anymore.

On 19/02/2024 at 8:36 PM, Feldfeld said:

Textures and models are artists work which is not in my expertise. That being said, the wood rebalance should make every biome perfectly playable. So as result of the mod update you should see more diverse biomes being played which if you're used to only playing temperate would be a big improvement.

If even with the update the community keeps playing the same biome I don't know what I can do anymore.

If you use the biome files to place objects it's just a matter of editing those to use new textures by @wowgetoffyourcellphone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

If you use the biome files to place objects it's just a matter of editing those to use new textures by @wowgetoffyourcellphone

I recall that some time ago @wowgetoffyourcellphone introduced new textures but these have been merged in vanilla already. Did he bring new ones since then? If so feel free to link me the relevant content

@Feldfeld

Is your balancer based off of @badosu's balanced maps? If, so I wonder if we could merge the maps from badosu's mod into feldmap. I have already fixed the badosu balanced maps mod for a26 and a27 and submitted it to mod.io (not yet signed).

https://mod.io/g/0ad/m/badosu-balanced-maps

If your balancers can work for these maps, I think that would be a major win.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

15 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Is your balancer based off of @badosu's balanced maps?

Not really. I believe badosu used the prototype food balancer code I gave him. I don't recall what he did for wood. He did his own mineral balancer, which I do not really like because it was too predictable/not diverse enough (something like "players always get 1 mine at this distance of the CC").

But I intend to make my balancing code fairly generic and applicable to a wide range of possible map shapes. In the ideal case only some parameters would need to be fine tuned for every map. Anyway I don't see a reason why it would not work. But I will only consider integrating more maps after I am satisfied with my 2.x.x release of feldmap.

(I recommand perhaps including a screenshot for every different map in the mod.io page for badosu's balanced maps)

Edited by Feldfeld
  • Like 1

Version 1.0.0 has been submitted to mod.io and is awaiting signature.

Please do not manually download the update from mod.io with intent to play it in multiplayer as long as it is not signed. This would confuse many players. Please wait for the signature to play it!

This update introduces wood balance. As long as there is enough space around the player's base, they will be given 3 forests in p1 territory. The total amount of wood in these forests is equal (in expectation, and with fairly small variance) among players, but there can be variance between individual forests. The shape of the forests remains pretty random so there can be small imbalances here but it shouldn't matter much.

I made it so that forests look the same as before. Depending on the situation the new forests may contain more trees than before and I haven't yet harmonized it with the rest of the map, but this should be barely noticeable.

I invite you to try different biomes now! They are a lot more playable.

I didn't include berry tree balance yet, but I made it so they spawn a little further away from the player, so less chance you get a "one for all" farmstead at the beginning.

Note that I mainly tested the map with 1v1 small size and 4v4 medium size settings, though I did some runs with extreme settings as well.

Ā 

This update makes Mainland Balanced incompatible with previous version's Mainland Balanced. Yet I still make the choice to disallow the incompatible mod check, for the same reasons I gave previously in this thread. As a small mitigation I made it so Mainland Balanced gets a new mappreview image, so if players with outdated version join a game with the up to date version, they will see an error related to the mappreview file. If a player reports such an error in the game, please say there is a new feldmap version and players who haven't done so yet should update it!
(Please note however that players up-to-date that join an host with outdated version will not notice anything until game starts)

On 21/02/2024 at 4:29 PM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

@FeldfeldĀ thanks for working on these map balances, I'm excited to play "pizza" with balanced wood!

Sorry, that's not for this version yet :(. Unless I make an exception for pizza settings, it would have to wait for at least a 2.x.x zone of control mechanic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3