Re-release of 0 A.D. Alpha 25: Yaunā

Stan`

3 hours ago, LienRag said:

The flatpak (main option to install it on a Debian stable) still tells me that it can't install as it needs 3 Gb while I have 500 Mb (there is definitely more than 3 Gb free both on my /home and my / partition)....

Did you make a typo in the above post?

On 26/09/2021 at 3:51 PM, LienRag said:

The flatpak (main option to install it on a Debian stable) still tells me that it can't install

I won’t be able to help on the Flatpak side of things, but I’m currently building a .deb backport of Alpha 25b for Debian Bullseye (stable), using the source package from Debian Bookworm (testing).

If everything works as expected, I’ll share detailed build instructions here. Or if you want to give it an early try, I’m using this wrapper around mmdebstrap to handle the backported packages generation: Debian backports builder

---

It might take a bit longer than expected, I stumbled upon some tricky apt bug in the process…

Edited by vv221
  • Like 1

On a unrelated topic to my earlier messages, it would be nice if announcement pages for a release linked to installation instructions for this precise release and not only to generic instructions for installation of 0ad which do not lead to installing the aforementioned release...

apt install 0ad is a very fine way of installing 0ad, but it installs a23.

Well, it depend on the Linux distribution. I learnt these days that if I want to have the latest 0ad for e.g. Debian, I should go for debian-testing. The same applies to others, I guess.

For interested people: I have made first experiences with EndeavourOS (ArchLinux is the basis), which is really great and offers installation of 0ad a25.

Currently I have Alpha 25a. Installed via SVN, on Linux

I'd like to update to 25b.

What I know is that one can update the version with:

svn up
cd build/workspaces
./update-workspaces.sh -j3
cd gcc
make -j3

But I believe this will not give me A25b, but a newer development version. Thats not what I want

Is there a different bunch of commands which will change it to A25b instead? @Stan` is there a simple solution?

Edited by Player of 0AD
  • Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 9:51 PM, Ceres said:

For interested people: I have made first experiences with EndeavourOS (ArchLinux is the basis), which is really great and offers installation of 0ad a25.

See there:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/57519-first-steps-with-endeavouros-and-a-bit-archlinux-and-beyond

Skip the first posts from me, as many of them describe how I utterly failed at the beginning. ;) But further down comes the success story. :)

48 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Currently I have Alpha 25a. Installed via SVN, on Linux

I'd like to update to 25b.

Do you use the svn version as a "daily gamer" or rather for testing stuff? I ask, because with svn I had (in the past, on a Debian system) the problem with non-cached gfx etc. I did not understand all of it but assume that 0ad from svn is maybe not as performant as a release (besides other issues that come along with "bleeding edge" stuff).

@Stan` If I want to play vs. other at home who have a25 (not svn) running, should/can I nevertheless use svn, or rather a release? (most important for me would be performance)

7 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Do you use the svn version as a "daily gamer" or rather for testing stuff? I ask, because with svn I had (in the past, on a Debian system) the problem with non-cached gfx etc. I did not understand all of it but assume that 0ad from svn is maybe not as performant as a release (besides other issues that come along with "bleeding edge" stuff).

@Stan` If I want to play vs. other at home who have a25 (not svn) running, should/can I nevertheless use svn, or rather a release? (most important for me would be performance)

During A24 I used SVN for playing with the development version, and since A25 is out I just use the SVN version to play A25....

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/09/2021 at 9:36 PM, LienRag said:

Yes, the flatpak tells me that it would need 3 Gb and finds only 500 Mb available, that's why the installation aborts.

And I actually have more than 3 Gb of available free space.

Tried again (on another computer I believe) and still the same problem...

Does any solution exist ?

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Using the distro package ?

Well, that means getting alpha23, which I currently use, but I would like to try the more recent versions.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Compiling from source?

Well, I guess I could do that eventually.

Are there precise instructions somewhere ?

As I complained earlier, the instructions on the release page are generic instructions, not the instructions for the last version, so I risk compiling the wrong version.