Re-release of 0 A.D. Alpha 25: Yaunā

Stan`

Wildfire Games, an international group of volunteer game developers, is happy to announce the re-release of 0 A.D. Alpha 25 “Yaunā”, the twenty-fifth alpha version of 0 A.D., a free, open-source real-time strategy game of ancient warfare. This version is a maintenance release. Gameplay remains untouched and both versions of Alpha 25 remain multiplayer-compatible. We strongly advise you however to upgrade to benefit of the following fixes:

• Ranked matches did not longer grant points in the lobby.
  • Mod installation no longer require restart.
  • Mod installation no longer prints errors when installing mods by double-clicking
  • Mod installation now overwrites the existing mods to allow for easier updates.
  • Fishes are now easier to spot on lowest settings with the addition of seagulls.

The team wishes to apologize for the inconvenience and hopes you will be enjoying your time playing 0 A.D: Empires Ascendant.

re-release-image-400x300.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 02/09/2021 at 4:24 AM, KBar said:

I see that 25b packages landed in Impish. That's awesome! Congratulations!

How about the 20.04 LTS release? Are they coming to it, too?

Start with this website first:  0 A.D. Alpha 25 Released! Implement Single Player Campaigns [Ubuntu PPA] Skip the click-bait text "Start Download".

Look for the text string "keep an eye on this Ubuntu PPA"  which references the following Launchpad PPA: Unofficial Ubuntu game packages maintained by xtradeb

Since posting, I see that the  Official PPA has now been updated.

Edited by Thales
Clarified some text.

• 3 weeks later...

@Stan`

Please forgive me my dumb question, but how do I found out if the 0ad version I get by "apt install 0ad" - which is 12.12.2020 (21946P-release) - is the most recent build? Or shall I purge 0ad from Debian 11 and install manually from svn instead? I would like to use it for real gaming on Debian, so playing from svn might not be ideal. Anyway, I'm grateful for your hints. :)

BTW, I do plan to use 0ad from svn for testing purposes, but will keep it apart from my "gaming" 0ad version.

31 minutes ago, Ceres said:

@Stan`

Please forgive me my dumb question, but how do I found out if the 0ad version I get by "apt install 0ad" - which is 12.12.2020 (21946P-release) - is the most recent build? Or shall I purge 0ad from Debian 11 and install manually from svn instead? I would like to use it for real gaming on Debian, so playing from svn might not be ideal. Anyway, I'm grateful for your hints. :)

BTW, I do plan to use 0ad from svn for testing purposes, but will keep it apart from my "gaming" 0ad version.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Changelogs it links svn revisions to Alpha versions rP21946 would be A23b

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

@Stan`

Debian 11 (testing) should have A25b in the repo?

Oh, I see it, too - it's a23: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=0ad

0.0.25b is only available there:

• bookworm (testing) (games): Real-time strategy game of ancient warfare
    0.0.25b-1: amd64 arm64 armhf i386
  • sid (unstable) (games): Real-time strategy game of ancient warfare
    0.0.25b-1: amd64 arm64 armhf i386

I have to add bookwork (testing) to my sources.list, I guess. Not sure, though, how to do it without experiencing unwanted side effects. :(

Edited by Ceres

Yep, and I had struggled in the past with "Franken Debians". :D

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

So I have to pin and what not... Sorry that this gets a bit OT, here. But maybe more Linux users stumble over this. ;)

Well, instead of apt pinning, I might as well consider upgrading completely to bookworm now.

Edited by Ceres

Hi Ceres, apt pinning is possible but risky if you don't know first precisely what you're doing.

If you're not in a hurry, you can wait for a bookworm's backport of 0ad, it will come sooner or later.

If you're in a hurry, you may use the flatpack or snap packages of 0ad, which are up to date, until bookworm's backport of 0ad is ready.

It would be separated from the Debian packages if you want to compile yourself a version from the repository for testing purposes.

Edited by Locynaeh
  • Like 1

Thanks for these nice alternatives, which I will favour. :) (trying both of them)

BTW, which Linux distribution is most recommended from a performance perspective? I have a refurbished PC with Nvidia GTX 1650 GPU and Intel Quad Core (3 GHz) CPU from around 2008, with 8 GB RAM. Arch Linux? And also "easy" enough for setting up the dev environment for 0ad?  @Yekaterina

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Arch Linux? And also "easy" enough for setting up the dev environment for 0ad? 

Arch Linux has good performance indeed; you can get access to the latest nvidia drivers quite easily and use custom kernels (I use linux-zen) for even better performance. Furthermore, getting an AUR helper like yay or paru means easy access to a huge database of software packages, including proprietary ones (Zoom, MS Teams, Whatsapp, WPS Office) and testing versions of Windows-only apps. Furthermore, all of the packages you use are the latest and greatest. However, there are 2 major problems with Arch Linux:

1. You need install it via command line interface, so some might find it hard. However, there are so many tutorials on Youtube so it really isn't a problem. If you are afraid of damaging your PC, you can try  it in VirtualBox first. 

2. It is a rolling release, so it is very possible that your OS will run into errors after some kernel updates. To prevent this from happening, I recommend you update your system every evening to ensure everything is compatible with each other. System update is easy with an AUR helper: just type yay in the terminal and the yay AUR helper will do everything for you automatically. 

So, I would recommend Arch if you are comfortable with command line interface and willing to spend 15-30 minutes installing your system. 

Some other OS:

Fedora34: Very stable and also up to date software. Easy to set up. However, it is a little bit difficult to install nvidia driver on Fedora and their package manager (dnf) has relatively few software in comparison to apt (Debian, Ubuntu) and Arch AUR. You need to rely on Flatpaks, which may or may not be a good thing. The system will not fail if you forget to update it often. 

Endeavour OS: Based on Arch Linux, but has easy graphical installer and nice desktop interface (which you can choose during the installation process). It is basically a noob-friendly version of Arch that has all of the features of Arch and some bloatware alongside it. 

OpenSUSE: has a user repository like Arch and is more stable. However, I haven't spent much time with this distro so I can't be sure. 

OS to avoid:

Debian based (Ubuntu, Mint, etc)- stable, but packages are so outdated!

Manjaro, Garuda - so much bloatware!

Gentoo, Void Linux - unfriendly to beginners. 

• Like 1

You could also chose to update your apt list to use the Debian testing repositories. Changes of an unusable system are still low, due to the time in Debian Sid, but you can still have quite up to date packages (like 0 A.D. A25b).

(See e.g. https://www.osradar.com/how-to-change-debian-stable-to-debian-testing/.)

Edited by Freagarach
Add a link.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

You could also chose to update your apt list to use the Debian testing repositories. Changes of an unusable system are still low, due to the time in Debian Sid, but you can still have quite up to date packages (like 0 A.D. A25b).

(See e.g. https://www.osradar.com/how-to-change-debian-stable-to-debian-testing/.)

Yes, I suppose so. However, if is some extra work and you still can't get things as bleeding edge as Arch. You still can't get KDE Plasma 5.2 on Debian, but it has been available for a long time on Arch. 

Xanmod Kernel might be worth it but it really isn't as convenient as Endeavour OS. 

I'm familiar with the CLI. However, caring for updates every day is not my cup of tea. ;) I will check Arch. No need for KDE or other fancy GUIs. The less resource-hungry it is, the better. Cheers! :)

PS:

Sorry that I got very OT here. :blush: Regarding recommended Linux distributions, please let us and other interested people continue there:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/57519-recommended-linux-distributions/

Thanks a lot, and now BTT. ;)

Edited by Ceres