The team bonus tier list

Player of 0AD

I wondered for a long time if it would be interesting to share my insights about team boni.

I will put the boni in tiers (rather objectively) but also in an order (based on my own opinion).

Here it comes in increasing order:

Pathetic tier:

Athens (warships have -25% build time)

Many team boni are bad but this is the weakest. If a warship gets finished a bit faster or not is not too relevant. Notice that the bonus doesn't even helps with fishing or trading ships.

Weak tier:

Britons (healers -20% costs)

Well, if you save 50 food for every healer or not is not too relevant neither. Healers are not even a necessary unit. The civ which can make the most out of this bonus are the kushites whith their rank 3 healers from the big temple.

Carthage (international trade bonus increased)

What even is this? If you trade with an ally and not just with yourself, you will get this bonus. For land trade this is weaker than the Persian team bonus, but it also applies on sea which the Persian bonus doesn't. I calculated that the team bonus increases total gain by roughly 14%.

Persians (land trade bonus of 25%)

In many matches, trading is not even necessary because in A25 the amount of metal on the map has been increased.

Seleucids (Civic centers are 20% cheaper)

This looks nice but in comparison to other team boni it's rather weak. You won't save many resources with it. It's especially handy for Ptolemies and Seleucids because it also affects Military Colonies.

Mediocre tier:

Kushites (Elephants -20% cost and train time)

Elephants have been nerfed but they are still mighty. So you can save a lot of resources and time if you want to go heavily for them. The bonus is especially helpful for Mauryas, even though Elephant Archers have been heavily nerfed. Sadly the bonus is useless for 7 of 13 civs.

Mauryas (Temples and temple techs -50% costs, build and research time)

A nice bonus, because temples and some temple techs are often useful. The bonus is especially useful for: Gauls (can train champs in temple), Carthage (can train champs in temple) and Kushites (can train champs in temples, have an additional big temple).

Strong tier:

Gauls (smith techs -15% costs and research time)

In A25 the smith techs are super important. Every single one of them is useful. So it's also useful to save resources and time while getting them.

Romans (civil infantry -10% train time)

This bonus brings all civil infantry a bit earlier into the game and reduces the need for additional barracks. So it's good for your economy.

Sparta (civil infantry spearmen get 11% health bonus)

Only team bonus which makes your army stronger once you reach pop limit and tech limit. Useless for Macedonians, but at the other hand spearmen are buffed in A25, especially those of Spartans and Athenians.

Iberians (civil javelineers cost 10% less)

Notice that this also applies to cavalry. Javelin civs are now very popular and the bonus helps a lot with booming. Additionally, javelineers are quite a force in this alpha. The bonus is not too helpful for ptolemies, as their javelineers are mercenaries and it's convenient to use melee mercenaries instead of ranged ones.

OP tier:

Macedonians (20% resource bonus for every market bartering)

Can be used to create resources out of thin air  with just a market, some starting capital and clicks. And even without that it means usually a nice resource bonus in every match where you barter. The "Generating-Resources-By-Clicks"-Mechanic is rarely abused, but in situations with low resources it can be theoretically extremely helpful, even though it needs a lot of clicks and attention.

Ptolemies (1 bonus food per second)

A bonus which really snowballs so the economy growth is much faster than without the bonus. In my opinion this is the very best team bonus ever, probably it leads to a bigger gain than any other bonus. At least in games with starting resources which are not too high.

So, that's the tier list! I'm curious about opinions of other people - where do you see a bonus in another tier? Where do you see a bonus better than another of the same tier? Should the Athenian bonus be doubled and also applied on fishing and trading ships?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Player of 0AD said:

Athens (warships have -25% build time)

It's the weakest also because there are only a few players who play naval maps, so it's totally unuseful in regular teams games or 1v1. I think we should think about a totally different team bonus.

Britons (healers -20% costs)

Having it increased to a -40% I think could be a nice game changer. This because I personally use healers a lot in team games and I see many pro players do it as well. 

Carthage (international trade bonus increased

Aside from the fact that trade is practically not even necessary in this alpha +10% is ridicolous. I think it should be like 30%. Same for persians.

Seleucids (Civic centers are 20% cheaper)

I agree that it's quite weak but not if you consider nomad games, in which is really good. I think this too should be increased to a 30% at least in order to make a real difference. 

In addition, I personally think that all the bonuses you ranked as "Strong" should be considered OP, and all the bonuses you ranked as OP should be considered "Strong" XD. 

1 hour ago, Jofursloft said:

It's the weakest also because there are only a few players who play naval maps, so it's totally unuseful in regular teams games or 1v1. I think we should think about a totally different team bonus.

I agree, for example 1 free wood per second

Having it increased to a -40% I think could be a nice game changer. This because I personally use healers a lot in team games and I see many pro players do it as well. 

Right

I agree that it's quite weak but not if you consider nomad games, in which is really good. I think this too should be increased to a 30% at least in order to make a real difference. 

Yes

In addition, I personally think that all the bonuses you ranked as "Strong" should be considered OP, and all the bonuses you ranked as OP should be considered "Strong" XD. 

That's very interesting!

6 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Anyone remember the ptol ptol Rome iber matchup from a23? Back then civs did not give their own bonuses and Iber bonus made skirms cost 40w 40f. 

The two Ptolemies players could boom at an outrageous pace. And if the two best players on your team were ptol it was super op.

I remember stuff like that. Iber and Rome bonus have been double the current size.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Old Roman said:

Wrong thread but...

Suggestion for Team Bonus  Romans:

How about a small walk speed bonus for all allied traders based on the historical strength and extent of Roman roads.

Please excuse the interruption.:)

Everyone seems to agree. But no one seems to care much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2