HI, I am a Gemini, my favorite color is pink, and I like to take long walks on the beach.

Okay seriously… In my search for Small Studio RTS games I found this site. Stuff looks real good guys. You guys when you finish are going to knock the socks off Age of Mythology… Do you intend to make this a free game or are you going to package it up and sell it?

I am 21 years old, I live in Sacramento California, I attend the local junior college (constantly changing majors makes you a 4 year JC student like me, political science, electrical engineering, history, computer science, general ed) I am new to programming, so I have been learning to program sense February. I learned C++ first… finished about 8 chapters of one of those directx books, found out about directx in visual basic, I learned visual basic and that’s why I am programming in now, getting ready to start writing my own math lib in c++ to use with vb

What I am doing, “my game…”

I got some money from my grandfather so instead of getting a job to pay for school I decided to write an RTS, a few months after starting I met a venture capitalist, he offered to pay for the publishing and distribution fee’s. So I am working harder on this every day then I have ever worked on anything else. I have been learning direct 3d for the last few weeks, but managed DirectX is hard on one’s time, documentation does not exist.

Progress over the last month

Implemented a grey scale height map loader and textured them, The geometry is also fully and easily deformable, and the texture modifiable during run time, no map editor yet. The only screen shots I have taken.

http://my.starstream.net/scorpin/ScreenShot1.jpg

http://my.starstream.net/scorpin/ScreenShot2.jpg

http://my.starstream.net/scorpin/ScreenShot3.jpg

http://my.starstream.net/scorpin/screenshot4.jpg

since the above screen shots were taken, I have hooked up multiple terrain squares, They are intentionally high res to allow nice deformation because of game effects (ripples and creators because of explosions, and possibly underground game play)

yesterday I wrote my first controllable units, and implemented them into an old directdraw7 I wrote… much faster to setup and it doesn’t need to look good. The units can be killed, they can shoot, they can move freely. I programmed a primitive AI’s yesterday afternoon… it targets another unit randomly, the unit drives towards the target, once in range it unloads with machine guns, the unit’s can track moving targets, if the target tries to get away it is chased down.

I also experimented with missiles, I made a dumb fire, trajectory prediction and seeker version. Mounted those on the units with the machine guns…

The units don’t have path finding yet, I haven’t converted my vb6 pathfinder to dotnet yet… I also experimented with buildings that make units… that worked out…

Played with my unit selection… you can click on em give em orders… translated them to 3d got the picking down…

As for multiplayer… bah I don’t have clue…

I don’t have a site for my game yet… I can provide hosting… if anyone is interested in helping…

I would really like to talk shop with the staff making 0 AD

scorpin@starstream.net

msn: scorpin@starstream.net

aim: FlexibleMorality

yahoo: ScorpinReloaded

Howdy, SquareDanceSteve! It sounds like you have a tough but exciting job ahead of you! :)

You guys when you finish are going to knock the socks off Age of Mythology… Do you intend to make this a free game or are you going to package it up and sell it?

:) We certainly hope it is a "knock-your-socks-off" game, and I don't think many will be disappointed. Yes, we are releasing it completely free - we're insane and loving it! ;)

(See the 0 A.D. FAQ here)

Those screenshots look nice, I can see you are using some fairly high-quality terrain textures there! Do you have anyone else working on your project, or is it just you?

Good luck with your game!

heh... I have been hard coring it.... I made the textures and the height map... I have a buddy that made and then textured a tank and b52 for me... i made a two jets with textures... haven’t used them for anything... but I will probably swap the 2d engine with a 3d one using the tanks soon...

also forgot to mention i made a bone engine... so i can make robots and people and crap... the bone's are also used to bind the turret to the tank body...

Free, you guys rock!

are you going to include a full sdk? (units, maps, behavior, effects and weapons?)

Hey, those screenshots are looking pretty sharp there :) Your lighting is what caught my eye. You using some procedural type textures? Those look pretty sharp too!

... found out about directx in visual basic, I learned visual basic and that’s why I am programming in now, getting ready to start writing my own math lib in c++ to use with vb

Nice, there is another one of these 'small studio RTS games' that you should check out that uses that same combination:

http://www.reverieentertainment.net

Good, to see some more game dev guys stopping by to say hi :)