To The French From France :)

Je viens juste de réaliser que nous étions le 14 juillet aujourd'hui. :P Alors je voulais vous souhaiter à vous, mes cousins français, une belle journée. Bien qu'il soit déjà 23h30 au Québec et que votre fête nationale soit déjà passée depuis quelques heures en France même...

J'espère que vous vous êtes tout de même amusés. :P

Pour Curu et les autres Français de WFG

À la vôtre ! :)

--------------------------------rough translation--------------------------------------

I realised we were the 14th today. So I wanted to wish you guys a happy day ;) even though at this hour (11:30pm in Quebec), it has already passed.

Anyway, hope you had fun :P

for Curu and the other French people of WFG

CHEERS ! :)

(beer.gif

Merci beaucoup Amy ... je suis désolé de ne pas être plus présent ces jours-ci, mais il semble que je suis plus occupé quand je suis en vacances que quand je travaille !!!! :)

Enfin, merci pour ce petit mot ... et bon 400e anniversaire à vous, cousins de Nouvelle France!!!!

Pour le soir du 14 juillet, j'étais allé, avec mon épouse, dîné chez des amis (anglais ...) et nous sommes allés voir le traditionnel feu d'artifice dans un tout petit village ... quelle ne fur aps ma stupéfaction de voir un spectacle magnifique pour un village de moins de 500 habitants! c'était superbe.

Merci encore!

Vive le Québec Libre et vive la France!!! :)

BO, I will translate :)

I thank you Amy. Sorry I wasn't there for so many days by these times, but it seems that I'm more busy on vacation than when I'm working...

Well, thank yyou for your little word and happy 400th anniversary to you, cousin-folk of New France! (Quebec and Acadia)

On the evening of this year's 14th of July, I went with my wife to visit English friends and together we went to admire traditionnal 14th of July fireworks in small village. I was well surprised by their quality, as it was indeed a small village of at most 500 inhabitants. It was beautiful.

Thanks again.

"Vive le Québec Libre et vive la France!"

(Long life to Free Quebec and long life to France!)

:)

not really, we celebrate the 24th of june (Journée Nationale du Québec) and the 1rst of july (Fête du Canada)

don't think we did anything special for the 400th anniversary...but I don't go out much, maybe Yiuel will know :)

As for your questions about the 400th anniversary of New France, it will be a two part celebration over 5 years. The first part takes place in former Acadia (which is now the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island). 2004 is the 400th anniversary of Port-Royal (Nova Scotia), the first Acadian colony. So, if one visit eastern Canada, he will see Acadian flags all over there, especially in the French communities of New Brunswick.

In Quebec, we will only celebrate the 400th anniversary of the founding of Quebec city in 2008. There will be I think great celebrations in the Quebecer's capital all summer long that year. This two part celebration is a matter of history. Acadia became british about 40/60 years before Quebec became so. And because of the "Grand Dérangement", the Acadian culture became different and alien to Quebec's culture. So Acadians and Quebecers consider themselves as different peoples with a same language (French). And since the Quebec culture originated from Quebec city along the Fleuve, then Quebec will only celebrate 4 years later...

(beer.gif

I see ... thanks for the explanation Yiuel!

@ Uppy : Only 1 country in the world apart from the US celebrates its national day on the 4th of July; that is the Philippines because it was an American colony until 1946 and kept this day as its day of Independence of the American colonists. Apart from that, they have another national day, to celebrate their first independent republic of 1898, whoch had been put to an end by force by the same American power ...

Hostory repeats :P

Hey why did you all forget wishing me a happy 11th July, the Flemish national day? Then we remember 11th July 1302, when we kicked French butt during the Battle of the Golden Spurs :P

Anyway, a belated happ 14th Curu :P

I have good memories regarding the 14th. On one of the best camps I went to in France it was the 14th we arrived, after a very long and boring train ride. That night we went to a small French village, and there was a huge party all over the town because of the 14th. It was a great night, you French put a lot of effort in your national day. :P

Well it used to be celebrated in small circles since 1302, then by many Flemings since 1850 (first Flemish Movement, the romantics brought the topic back up), and two years ago it became our official national day.

Some people are still celebrating it in Pas de Calais or the Nord region in France too btw, since that used to be Flemish. The most patriotic French aren't happy about it I've heard, it seems they don't like people feasting because they kicked the French out :P

(beer.gif

Well, I am sorry, I can't tell you about that ... I live 800 km from there :P

All I know is that French people in Pas-de-Calais and nearby areas still have an accent that reminds of their Flemish ancestry ... just as much as in Corsica, where people speak French with a kind of Italian accent ... It seems that since the 1970s and 1980s even more, there is a sense of regional pride in every large region ... Occitania for mine, Corsica, Brittany (obviously), Alsace, etc ... interesting ... but July the 14th is always accepted as a National Day, even by the most extreme regionalists.

Yeah they accept it too I think. As for the accent, in fact there are still quite a few who speak Flemish. Note that it isn't Dutch, the Dutch wouldn't understand it, it's common to the West-Flemish dialect which my gf speaks. It's a Germanic language, so nothing similar to French.

It's mostly the older people and it's dieing out despite that they work together with Flanders on many things (economy, police, tourism).

Yeah, the distances in France are already much bigger than here. Lille is only a 45 min drive for me, so not too far away :P

(beer.gif

Lille is 8 hours from here :P I'd better go to Spain (2 hours)

As for West-Flemish, I really didn't know it had nothing to do with Dutch ... I thought it was very similar ...

Same here anyway ... Occitan (local South West dialect) here is very different from Occitan in the Spanish Garonne valley ...

Well Flemish is similar to Dutch, but not just a dialect as most Flemish and Dutch people think. West-Flemish is a dialect of Dutch, but Flemish, the language some people still speak in the Nord/Pas-de-Calais, is almost a language in its own.

The reason for this is that Flanders, including West-Flanders, has 'suffered' from standardization of Dutch, which is mostly based on the Dutch they speak in Holland and Brabent. In the Nord/Pas-de-Calais they weren't influenced by that so they kept speaking the original Flemish, which is similar to the West-Flemish dialect.

Well must be a bit confusing that Flemish isn't the language we speak in Flanders :P

glad you're interested Uppy :P