magnetic pikemen

9 hours ago, Jofursloft said:

Do you mean that the attack order can be set on a specific unit (let's suppose archers) and then your units will target the closest archer available?

Sorry, let me elaborate with an example: archer attacks woman under the attack-click of a player, archer kills woman. The closest unit to that woman is a spearcav unit, so it is the next target.

My main reason to like this feature is that it does not strongly deviate the attack target area, and a player can target a mass of a particular unit with the expectation that most projectiles will go there, rather than deviating to the units in front.

9 hours ago, Jofursloft said:

While in a open field if you are playing skirmishers you will push in order to get as close as possible to the enemy units, archers will use the different tactic of retreating bit by bit

If there were a battle between pikes +skirmishers and spears +archers (all inf), the person whose melee units die first will have to either retreat like you said or die. However, if the archers get a bit closer to the spears in front (more risk), they can target the skirmishers in the back, and allow the spears to win the melee battle.

I think allowing players to choose their target area is a great way to introduce more skill and battle strategy to 0ad battles that are otherwise overwhelmed by automatic unit behavior.

5 hours ago, alre said:

well, it's just that projectiles have a random spread that gets bigger with distance traveled, so they can easily miss distant targets. if they miss their target but they hit another enemy, they still deal damage, if they hit an ally, they do not.

In this case, the player needs to determine if hitting a particular distant group of units is worth the increased amount of missed shots.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

1 hour ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Sorry, let me elaborate with an example: archer attacks woman under the attack-click of a player, archer kills woman. The closest unit to that woman is a spearcav unit, so it is the next target.

Which is what currently happens in the game, but I think I understand what you mean. 

I think the solution could be a simple shortcut.

When you press that shortcut while having selected a group of units (archers as shown in the image below) the game allows you to select a zone (the zone should obviously have a maximum size), which is represented by the red area in the image (in which there are the enemy slingers). Then your archers will target first all the enemy units who are in the area (in this case the slingers). Then when the area is cleaned up they will return to focus of the nearest unit available. 

Obviously the opponent is able to move his slingers out of the zone in order to protect them, so I think that this shortcut could bring to a new nice micro skill. 

1480801800_Immagine2021-08-24213112.thumb.png.1f8d3a620ff752d8773bcecbb90242d9.png

Edited by Jofursloft