Keep torch function on minimap after game has ended

Dear developers, community,

Can we please keep the possibility to show something with the torch on the minimap also after a game has ended? We always want to point out to each other some exciting spot after the game's end but cannot, because the torch-on-minimap function is then not available anymore.

Thank you so much for your kind consideration. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I referred to the game that ended for all players. Maybe I should rephrase it: Make the torch available after all human players have either left the game or resigned - or give the players the opportunity to agree upon the availability, e.g. by the hosting guy? Admittedly, I had more our family sessions in mind and should pay more attention to the wide audience and online matches. But maybe there's a good solution for it, too. :)

PS:

Or only team mates can use the torch after the game's end to show something to each other? Or am I missing a scenario where this could be abused?

Edited by Ceres

If I remember correctly the reasons why it was not added were:

a) The idea came up just some days before feature freeze

b) observers all have the same color so I wasn't sure if it is useful.

But I guess one could add flares for observers. The first step for that would be creating a ticket that requests this feature.

About in-game voice chat:

A couple of months ago, this was briefly touched somewhere in the forum in connection with Mumble/Murmur.

I set up a mumble server on a virtual machine on my Synology NAS, and we communicate via it without any issues. There's also a mumble app for Android, so you could even chat with your friends when you are not participating.

Personally, I wonder if an in-game voice chat functionality is worth the effort, but I also agree that it could be more convenient than setting up a server (which many people cannot even do, either, because the lack the knowledge - which is not so hard to get, though - or because they don't have the appropriated hardware available).

You could also use a public mumble server, but I feel uncomfortable about it (from the security perspective).

Maybe you want to consider opening an extra thread for this or expand on the existing one?

BTT, observer flares would be nice. Could observers who were players before jeep their colours but with a lighter hue?

Edited by Ceres

7 minutes ago, Ceres said:

I wonder if an in-game voice chat functionality is worth the effort

I don't think so. This would hugely increase the bandwidth that is needed to play multiplayer and there are so many good and even open source solutions out there that focus solely on communication, that it seem unnecessary to implement something specifically for 0 A.D.

• Like 1

Yep, I agree.

PS:

There is one thing about mumble I like very much: TTS (text-to-speech). There is a possibility to feed the mumble client with text that it translates (very decently, IMO) to voice. Thus, you could get messages from 0 A.D. (e.g. queued units in CC are trained) directly to your ears. I'm not sure about the API, though, and thus should go in a separate thread. ;)

Edited by Ceres