Queuing orders.

Freagarach

I've seen quite some videos on A25 already and what I noticed is that (not very suprising) no-one uses the new ability to push an order to the front of the order queue, hence I thought I'd make a forum post about it.

Since https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/25020 it is possible to push an order to the front of the order queue for a unit. We all know how to use (by default) <Shift> to queue an order to be executed later. However, one can also set a hotkey to let a unit execute an order NOW and then continue with the previously set orders.

An example: You are gathering wood with a few ladies, but are close to getting housed. You could select the ladies, task them to construct a house and <Shift>-click them back on wood thereafter. Or you could select the ladies and task them to construct a house while they automatically go back to chopping wood. That saves a whopping 50% of your clicks! (The name of the hotkey is "Push order in front" and it is not set by default.)

For the people being curious about what happens when using both hotkeys: You can keep constucting houses but each is pushed to the front of the queue (so Push order in front takes precedence).

Please tag anyone you know who could benefit from this. At least I know @ValihrAnt could. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 14/08/2021 at 3:15 AM, Freagarach said:

However, one can also set a hotkey to let a unit execute an order NOW and then continue with the previously set orders.

Hi, how exactly does this work? Haven't had any luck. "execute an order now"

You can keep constucting houses but each is pushed to the front of the queue (so Push order in front takes precedence)

So, it is similar to the auto-queue function whereas so long as the resource for the house(or unit) is available then woodcutter(s) will proceed to build the house, complete it, move to previous task & continuously do so as deemed necessary just from using the hotkey?

when using both hotkeys

pushorderfront = " "          ; Modifier to push unit orders to the front instead of replacing.

Total confusion...

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 4:48 AM, Langbart said:
  1. Add a hotkey for "Push order in front"
  2. Queue up some orders e.g. gather berries, build a house, ...
  3. Press the key combination and select something that needs to be done NOW. The units will do it and still remember all the unfinished orders.

Sounds like something I could have put on Social media

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:09 AM, Freagarach said:

Indeed. I think I've collected a few little features that I know exist, like this one, that people perhaps aren't using. What we'll need to do is identify where these things are clearly documented and explained and then link to them from SM posts. With any luck that might actually encourage more people to explore the guidance overall. I'm just back from holiday - @Stan` - might need to hit you up for a bit of additional info :) 

• Like 2