Let's talk about China

39 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

; if you take infrastructure like roads where costs go over >100 million €, no private company can be cheaper just because of that, and then add the necessary profit margin.

Public goods cannot be provided through a profit motive. By definition, you would incur a loss on such a venture. Aside from the most hardcore ancaps, no one wants to pay that much toll just to drive around.

Also, for things like healthcare and education, you would always need state run competition if only to maintain a baseline of consumer expectation. Private companies need to go above and beyond that to turn a profit and you can't really bankrupt state enterprises.

The objective is to not dominate, it's to provide a decent minimum quality. Competition is always good even if taxes pay for it.

Also, I myself live under pretty extensive social democracy, I am not an opponent of the system. But it is only sustainable because of a thriving private sector who pays for it.

Like most people, I also am extremely amazed that you can't call an ambulance in some places without going bankrupt. Or have healthcare so tangled with insurance which also is for some reason tied to employment.

Posted (edited)

Here's something that doesn't make sense to me, and that goes beyond the specific case of China: why is the 8 hour workday still the norm? The world economy today, using the three sector model, is roughly the following one: agriculture: 4%; industry: 32%; services: 64%. True, in some countries, agriculture can be as high as 50%, as far as GDP sector composition goes. But those cases are the exception rather than the rule.

In the United States, the percentages for GDP sector composition are even more dramatic: 0.9% for agriculture, 19.1% for industry, and 80.0% for services. Yet the normal workday in the United States is still 8 hours per day. That doesn't make any sense given that less than 1% of people are needed to make the agricultural sector function.

The upshot of what I'm saying is that in a world where less and less people are needed in the agricultural sector, it doesn't make sense to still work a minimum of 8 hours a day.

Edited by m7600
Grammar

In the world we live in, people consider themselves too important. Nature can dispose of us at any time. Even a virus puts us in great need and we see that the money alone does not work for us. If something did not last, it was peoples and nations. If you consider that the Romans are about as far removed from our time as they are from the Egyptian, that is not much for world history in years.

20 hours ago, smiley said:

Also, for things like healthcare and education, you would always need state run competition if only to maintain a baseline of consumer expectation. Private companies need to go above and beyond that to turn a profit

Maybe that's how it should work. Here, we have a slow move towards privatizing hospitals. For example by underfunding the public hospitals and funneling money to the private sector; eg for keeping ICU beds in reserve during Corona, the private hospitals get twice the money than public. And if you run the only place available, you don't have to go above and beyond anything; leave the rooms dirty, understaff, hire cheaper foreigners... And you will get tax money to guarantee your profit.

4 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Maybe that's how it should work.

Bonus point that elections are directly tied to how the state enterprises performs. Your adminstration didn't develop the hospitals, well good luck winning the next election. Private companies has profit motive to remain better, state enterprises have political incentive to keep investing.

Like all good things, this probably won't last. Just need someone willing to sell out their country to ruin it all.

Edited by smiley

1 hour ago, smiley said:

Private companies has profit motive to remain better

Private companies have profit motives to remain profitable; if you're experiencing better quality because of that, good for you. I on the other hand experience worse quality because of the privatization, and the co.s will happily cut corners and lower the quality as much as they can get away with to maximize the profit. Thanks to the eager accomplices in politics they can get away with a lot. And since people usually don't have a choice what kind of hospital they're treated at, the quality aspect simply is not true, at least here. Anyone telling me different in a national discourse I'd consider an Idiot/blind market believer or a liar.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

will happily cut corners and lower the quality as much as they can get away with to maximize the profit

On 15/08/2021 at 6:34 PM, smiley said:

Private companies need to go above and beyond that to turn a profit and you can't really bankrupt state enterprises.

It's not all or nothing.

7 hours ago, smiley said:

It's not all or nothing.

For profit it generally is.  Private companies going "above and beyond" to turn a profit is a private company analyzing risks and finding it cheaper to tie up payments through the courts instead of paying and doing what is right.

Private companies respond to shareholders.  They generally look at services/products provided as a cost vs return.  Generally, private companies don't function like charities.  Even if a charity were to provide a service it somehow needs to bring in money to pay for that service.  Governments can operate critical services at a loss which can be paid for through taxes on more profitable industries.

Government should be invested in the long term health and education of their workforce.  No private enterprise will invest in someone who can change jobs.  You can't change citizenship, for the most part.

It is great that they are replanting the desert. Also them becoming the most powerful is very much up for debate. Reminiscent to the story(epilogue?) of babel, They have more than 200 languages which probably makes management a not so easy task. Managing bureaucracy with that many languages is unthinkable and for someone that always lived in bilingual countries it is easy to see how the language bamboozlment Genesis's Babel was chosen as the preferred method to stopping the project in its tracks, the aforementioned nation, or culmination of them, is unlikely to get father than more unified nations.

Edited by Lightning38

• 1 month later...

the western world is committing suicide.

Neo-Malthusian anti-natal policies, European culture rates are declining.

there is a book where he talks about what a planet is like where everyone is old and there are not so many young people.

book-cover-empty-planet-the-shock-of-global-population-decline-by-darrell-bricker-and-john-ibbitson.jpg.f4e7a1b761d619145d2ddfdd5295bd30.jpg

This same phenomenon happens to Japan.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Empires fall when their culture indulges in vices and pleasures

So we need to ban hedonism

5G at its full speed is amazing. However, the maximum speed of 4G is already 150mb/s, which equates to approximately 19Mb/s (same speed as my home broadband connection, which is very impressive).

On 13/08/2021 at 6:38 PM, m7600 said:

In the near future, China will probably become the most powerful country in the world.

it's a reality that we must recognize and learn to adapt to.  The Chinese population is estimated at 1.4 billion.  The US population estimate: 0.3 billion. So, at a minimum the Chinese outnumber the US 4:1. (Rounded off). I haven't yet looked at the Chinese domestic product versus the US yet, but then they (the Chinese) already produce what the US consumer buys. Walmart, the US distributor for Chinese products.

On 02/10/2021 at 5:05 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

the western world is committing suicide.

The US has gone into a frenzy of mass hysteria. Component themes include: the French Revolution, McCarthyism (leftist version), and Orwellian Newspeak (We must promote racism to end racism.). So while China marches to become the most powerful country in the world, the political leaders of the US are promoting anti-Americanism.  A joke that I heard to that effect: While China builds bridges, US politicians argue over what to name an existing bridge. The US can't out-compete China by arguing over words.

Just an FYI. Pat Buchanan raised the Balkanization of the US many many years ago. Of course he was vilified as a nut job back then. Haven't hear much from him, overtime his comments have proven to be prescient.

Edited by Thales

• 3 weeks later...