I'm going to attend a Bowyer course

Bowyer: an artisan wich builds Bows.

It is a course intended to teach building traditional wooden bows (no fiberglass allowed). It's quite basic: only the longbow design will be treated (it's the simplest to manage), but after a while spent practicing i hope i'll get to more complex designs as recurved or even composite bows...

...hope this helps :P

That sounds very interesting. A couple years back, I was very interested in archery (I think it actually stemmed from playing as, then becoming fascinated with the Mongols in AoK :P). I used to shoot a lot in my back yard at a big stack of hay with a target in front, which is pretty weird for suburban illinois :P... I actually got pretty good, which was cool, because we did archery in school and everyone didn't know how I did it.

On the downside I do remember scraping (ooh shudders think about it) my arm multiple times when you loose the string... ouch, nasty stuff it is.

I hear longbows are really heavy (to pull back, I'm not sure about their actual weight). Well good luck with your endeavor :P, it sounds very intriguing :(.

You need the following items: a chainsaw, a pig, a rope, some friends and a very sharp knife.

First find the best tree around. Pick up the chainsaw and cut it down. Be sure to make it fall to the correct side or you won't be shooting bows for a long time.

Now, when the tree has fallen you can look for a nice branch to use for your bow.

Now take the pig and have some friends holding it in case it gets angry. Pick up your knife and gently slice its throat. Take a rope and use it to hang the pig upside down.

When the bleeding has stopped cut open its belly. Be sure you're not standing under it or you'll have the shower of your life. You can now use the bowels as tendon for your bow.

The last step is the most boring one of this whole process. You simply have to put the two ends of the tendon on the branch you got from that tree you cut down a few hours ago. Make sure the tension is high enough, otherwise you won't shoot far.

:P

Hmm, i thank you, because i understand that the forearm and the hand are prone to slapping-greazing from the bowstring/arrow feathers.

Anyway, i should underline this: no sinthetic materials allowed... ...hence i cannot take advantage from fiberglass, carbon fiber, alluminium, ant hte rest.

Only wood, hemp/tendons, linen oil and stuff like that... :P

I've got some experience with blacksmithing from boy scouts. Sounds crazy, but there was a real forge at a summer camp many years back. I made some metal hook thing, not exactly sure if it had a name. Boy it was hot in there, and when you came out you were pitch black :P.

:P This is the closest thing to a forging icon possible.