Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

Is there a thread with "most requested features that still haven't been added"? Trying to see if there are any popular feature requests that will require minimal extra effort considering other changes I am planning to make anyways. Gonna try and provide a set of diffs for the main team to look at that are as distinct as possible for features.

10 hours ago, Angen said:

@Freagarach overdid number of buttons in middle panel

Well, I made it worse certainly, but the problem already existed before I first became active here: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1269.

2 hours ago, MoLAoS said:

Is there a thread with "most requested features that still haven't been added"? Trying to see if there are any popular feature requests that will require minimal extra effort considering other changes I am planning to make anyways. Gonna try and provide a set of diffs for the main team to look at that are as distinct as possible for features.

Not really with "most requested features" but there are of course these kind of threads, with suggestions, and there is trac (https://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/1). Maybe some people around here know by heart the ones they see being brought up most frequently.

Inspired by this post from @Gurken Khan about the minimap:

grafik.png.f346ac113ca628d6bc7675f7fa893638.png

Could we use different icons for animals, as apposed to non-animal resources ? E.g. keep the current dots for the former but use little "stars" for the latter. Please see my (very clumsy) attempt below, where a stone mine at about 7:30 of the CC is shown with a black dot in the middle (and map enlarged by 150%):

grafik.png.8d18917189de0f6b62be997cbf30020d.png

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 2

Can you please give me a hint where I have to poke around for the code that currently puts the "dots" on the minimap? Thank you! :)

Before I bother you or other devs too much about this (and similar questions about what to find where), is there some general information how to find one's way through the code for specific things? I am aware that it takes months and longer to know all corners, and I am sure one of the slowest types, but maybe it will help me. ;)

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Can you please give me a hint where I have to poke around for the code that currently puts the "dots" on the minimap? Thank you! :)

Before I bother you or other devs too much about this (and similar questions about what to find where), is there some general information how to find one's way through the code for specific things? I am aware that it takes months and longer to know all corners, and I am sure one of the slowest types, but maybe it will help me. ;)

As far as I am aware from my own efforts there is not a very detailed guide about what is where. Typically when I am digging around a codebase I'll abuse TextCrawler or something. 0AD has a very sparse directory setup compared to other projects for instance. In the .js files anyways.

@Stan`You can put flares on the minimap yes? I looked through several files and it isn't obvious how flares are defined image wise or what function you could clone to add minimap objects.

@ceres With TextCrawler you can at least do things like run a search of all files for "inimap". Skipping the first M/m gives you both capital and non-capital results. The GUI folder has MiniMap.js and MiniMapPanel.js. The Simulation folder has GuiInterface.js.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MoLAoS said:

You can put flares on the minimap yes? I looked through several files and it isn't obvious how flares are defined image wise or what function you could clone to add minimap objects.

@ceres With TextCrawler you can at least do things like run a search of all files for "inimap". Skipping the first M/m gives you both capital and non-capital results. The GUI folder has MiniMap.js and MiniMapPanel.js. The Simulation folder has GuiInterface.js.

It's C++ code and a shader which is why I'm not sure it's actually moddable through js alone.

You can find more indfo about the relevant files here https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1751#change-zVwemRJt1Y2u

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MoLAoS said:

Sounds very helpful, but what TextCrawler do you mean? How do you apply it on the 0 A.D. source code? In SVN locally on your device?

4 hours ago, Ceres said:

Sounds very helpful, but what TextCrawler do you mean? How do you apply it on the 0 A.D. source code? In SVN locally on your device?

https://download.cnet.com/TextCrawler/3000-2352_4-10805637.html

You point it to a file directory and tell it what file extensions to check and off you go. I use the search stuff more than the replace but the replace functionality is great.

• Thanks 1

There has been a lot of discussion about new mechanics to 0ad battles and movement systems. In a25 the unit balance is better than ever (in my opinion), and I feel we can add new options and experiences that will further help with both gameplay balancing and immersion at the same time.

• ground-attack for ranged units (or a more advanced system) (1)
  • melee unit charging (2)
  • improved boat mechanics (3)
  • cavalry acceleration and turning radius (3)

These mechanics will help to vary the combat and differentiate the roles of cavalry, melee, and ranged units. This could be a great improvement for a26. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 2:33 AM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Thanks, many interesting posts that I missed but are closed to the suggestions that I wanted to make. 

• Improving naval warfare: Currently with ships overlapping each others, there is no possibility to target damaged ships or even to flank enemy ships to maximize your own damages while minimizing enemy damages. Snowballing on naval maps is currently pretty strong since once a player has more ships, there is very little actions that the opponent could do to reverse a number advantage. Having a larger variety of upgrades available for ships and adjusting ships movements to allow for some micro could help to make naval maps more fun and reduce snowballing on naval maps.

• Improving formations: While there is a lot to do to improve formations, a part that I particularly dislike is that units run to get into formation. If anything, units should be slow to get into formations (but formations would provide other advantages). Currently, if a player clicks on square formations, melee and range infantry will run toward each other, making it impossible to use cavalry to effectively flank range infantry since one click will counter it. Players often goes for mass cavalry or no cavalry at all. If flanking was effective, then players might have more incentives to use a mix of infantry/cavalry for their army.

• Introducing mainland variety:  Many ideas have been made to improve maps with many being already coded (mercenary camps, tree groves, fertile lands...). These changes could have important implications for the overall gameplay, the choices of strategies, the overall balance or even game performances. Having them implemented at the map level could allow for more experimentation without any damages to the development of other aspects of the game. These experimental maps could be useful to test the features themselves (for example the lag generated by tree groves), help to understand how map designs affect current balance and contribute to understand how new features could contribute to the improvement of the existing map pools. If anything, the new maps would therefore only contribute to improve the interest for the game.

• Seasonal rating: I think resetting ratings with the release of each new alpha might help to stimulate the interest of players to have rated games. It would be easier to become, at least temporarily, the best 0ad player for anyone and player who were slower to learn the game could have a fresh start. For each season, the ratings at the end of the season could be saved on the website for posterity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It might be nice if there was a way to direct ranged troops to target specific enemies. For example, selecting troops and then holding A + using the cursor to select an area would result in those troops targeting that specific area first. This could let players use their archers to target other far away archers without having to manually click on every desired target. This would introduce a nice new potential element of micro for the players that want a more intense gameplay. And it would also help eliminate some of the pike/melee meat shield complaints that we frequently see on the forum because it would allow players to use their ranged units to shoot over enemy troops to the player's desired goal. 

• Like 2

@chrstgtr I appreciate you discussing this. Many people agree that selecting the area is a good way to proceed.

The most current example is:

it is from page 2 of "proposals for formations" page. Some other good discussion is in there.

I am pretty optimistic about the balancing outcomes between skirmisher, spears, pikes and archers.

I am not sure whether the player in the video is able to change the attack area or not, but that really seems to be the next step to make this a good mechanic.

• Like 1

I was wondering if it is possible to add garrison points to fortresses?

I was thinking of adding spaces for 30 soldiers. For example we currently have 8 on the stone walls in game.

It will probably be hard to find space on top of some forts to add those 30 points and to make it look good. The reason for 30 points is to make it enough to be worthwhile, rather than a liability as garrisoning on walls is now.

I think in a25 forts are basically big towers (aside from training heroes and 1 or 2 upgrades). A change like this could turn forts into truly defensible positions from which an army fights.

Now I know people are worried about turtleing. So I think the actual arrow count of fortresses should be decreased appropriately. Also I would advocate to add 200 stone cost back to the price of fortresses.

I also think upgrading wall garrison space from 8 to 16 (adding another row) would be nice, since that feature is under used and under appreciated in multiplayer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1