Jump to content

Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26


m7600
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 31/08/2021 at 11:00 AM, Ceres said:

There is one thing about the voice chat mumble/murmur I like very much: TTS (text-to-speech). There is a possibility to feed the mumble client with text that it translates (very decently, IMO) to voice. Thus, you could get messages from 0 A.D. (e.g. queued units in CC are trained) directly to your ears. I'm not sure about the API, though.

Good idea, but looks very bloated on the codebase. It is enough for the game to see if the voice acting file exists in the directory (add voice acting in the form of mods)
For example:

#!/bin/bash

# Text block from tutorial campaign, MD5 == 20f2d5b30116fe599c4413643e92b10d
echo "You have two main types of starting units: Female Citizens and Citizen Soldiers. Female Citizens are purely economic units; they have low health and little to no attack. Citizen Soldiers are workers by default, but in times of need, can utilize a weapon to fight. You have two categories of Citizen Soldiers: Infantry and Cavalry. Female Citizens and Infantry Citizen Soldiers can gather any land resources while Cavalry Citizen Soldiers can only gather meat from animals." > /tmp/text.txt

# Text to speech
espeak -f /tmp/text.txt -w /tmp/text.wav

# Convert to OGG and place in mod directory
# When the game sees this text block, 0 A.D. should play this sound file
convert /tmp/text.wav ~/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymod/audio/voices/20f2d5b30116fe599c4413643e92b10d.ogg

 

Edited by nwtour
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

May I suggest to check the random maps to ensure that the desired availability of metal is somewhat consistent?

Overall I feel there's more metal than in a24, but I had a lot of maps with nine metal deposits total for six players, which I believe is not more than before. On the other hand for example Gulf of Bothnia dumps a ridiculous amount of metal, on a recent map it was like ten deposits around my starting area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alre said:

would it be less fun if people had to walk around buildings (or trough them possibly)?

When ungarrison at any point was introduce people were rather happy about it.

 

3 hours ago, alre said:

but I don't think it's a good idea to design the game around it

It's not designed around teleporting, but teleporting is a consequence of the design. Only able to garrision/ungarrison at one point (the door) makes the garrison mechanic mostly useless, would drastically change the meta.

 

Not sure what walking through the building implies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

May I suggest to check the random maps to ensure that the desired availability of metal is somewhat consistent?

It's great if not all maps are the same ... we could even have one or two maps that replace chickens with goats or have neither of them so the "scout" will be used for scouting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alre said:

- revert changes to animal AI, they were just fine in A24 and before, besides, it doesn't really make sense to me that animals and people have the same AI, it was a good thing they behaved differently.

@Freagarach

 

4 hours ago, alre said:

reduce lag. I have been experiencing heavy lag in all my games, since the very start of the game. people ask me if I have set game speed to 0.5 when it is in fact just lag. it didn't happen in A24.

We fixed a lot of lag issues in A25 and removed some lag spikes using threading. @edoput reported some more lag too so he is bisecting to find what started it. Anyone is free to look for the revision that might have introduced it

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

When ungarrison at any point was introduce people were rather happy about it.

 

It's not designed around teleporting, but teleporting is a consequence of the design. Only able to garrision/ungarrison at one point (the door) makes the garrison mechanic mostly useless, would drastically change the meta.

 

Not sure what walking through the building implies.

I'm not saying that the game is designed around teleporting, I was warning against doing so: we should not discard a proposal just for the sake of teleporting. But this is just my personal opinion about teleporting, also I agree that teleporting has some happy meta consequences, and I even agreed the proposal (automatic starting sequence) was to be discarded. I'm just saying teleporting looks more like an exploit that a feature. It's a bit of an immersion breaker.

What if all garrisonable buildings had one or more doors your men could walk trough, and if they could walk trough buildings this way just with a left click (the pathfinder knows about doors). Just a ramdom proposal if someone wants to do the work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stan` said:
15 hours ago, alre said:

- revert changes to animal AI, they were just fine in A24 and before, besides, it doesn't really make sense to me that animals and people have the same AI, it was a good thing they behaved differently.

@Freagarach

I thought we covered that already, it is a bunch of template changes? We (at least I) can't (and won't even try) to revert to A24 code, that was a mess.

Regarding the changes: I'm not putting effort in that, I already have to much balls to juggle right now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, nwtour said:

Good idea, but looks very bloated on the codebase. It is enough for the game to see if the voice acting file exists in the directory (add voice acting in the form of mods)
For example:

#!/bin/bash

# Text block from tutorial campaign, MD5 == 20f2d5b30116fe599c4413643e92b10d
echo "You have two main types of starting units: Female Citizens and Citizen Soldiers. Female Citizens are purely economic units; they have low health and little to no attack. Citizen Soldiers are workers by default, but in times of need, can utilize a weapon to fight. You have two categories of Citizen Soldiers: Infantry and Cavalry. Female Citizens and Infantry Citizen Soldiers can gather any land resources while Cavalry Citizen Soldiers can only gather meat from animals." > /tmp/text.txt

# Text to speech
espeak -f /tmp/text.txt -w /tmp/text.wav

# Convert to OGG and place in mod directory
# When the game sees this text block, 0 A.D. should play this sound file
convert /tmp/text.wav ~/.local/share/0ad/mods/mymod/audio/voices/20f2d5b30116fe599c4413643e92b10d.ogg

 

Thank you! :)I opened a new thread for this in the mods forum:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/54652-text-to-speech-tts-mod/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heya! Daily player since A23, and I have some stuff to share for improving 0AD:

  1. Sometimes when drawing a selection rectangle, among selected units there is an unit selected which wasn't in the drawed box, and apparently that unit is far far from the camera and player view.
  2. Current use of wooden scout towers is only for scouting. The funny thing is that type of tower exists in Settlers 4 for example, and besides offering greater visibility, it alerts player when enemy is seen. As far as I know, players rarely build those towers, wouldn't it be more real to allow garrisoned scout tower to alert for enemy presence?
  3. When player rams are in area consiting of enemy rams and buildings, orderding them to move and attack (holding CTRL while right clicking) makes them attack buildings, completely ignoring rams. From what I have learned, there was a balancing done to rams to prevent them attacking infantry. But this is kind of weird seeing enemy rams attacking my rams first, while my rams want to attack enemy buildings, not the rams to counter-balance the fight.
  4. Tree regeneration, which is my recent thought, why the game cannot offer to build "tree plantation/wood grove" to allow trees to grow and be harvested? Since we already have farm fields offering unlimited food supply, why can't we just have another building/structure which allows to be cut itself (and regenerated over time)?
  5. Are the special towers removed for sure? I remember artillery tower and balista tower were available to be built until some update came in and removed them. I understand artillery tower is much overpowered (but was great for countering ram attacks), but can't we have the ballista tower available as an upgrade (fires slower but better damage)?
  6. PetraAI should use formations, because right now when bot is attacking, there is actually stream of infantry/cavalry going the same way (because of pathfinder). With formations wouldn't it be more 'elegant'?
  7. Unit focusing works great (pressing F on selected unit), but there should be the same thing with buildings - I think we should be able to focus on them the same way we do with units?
  8. Allow to choose whether unit ordered to move and attack into enemy buildings should actually attack them (deal damage) or capture them.
  9. Rework the way of units capturing the buildings. Right now when sending 50 units of infantry to capture building, enemy can freely order any units to garrison inside. While this is OK when the captured building is training units to garrison itself, it is looking weird when infantry/women from all around just come around my units which are currently capturing the building, rather than killing approaching enemies to prevent them to garrison inside and strengthen the defence.
  10. Explain and clarify "loot" stats for units. Right now I have no idea what those stats mean, like are my troops needed to capture something to loot? Is it one-time loot? Do my soldier needs to kill some worker to "loot" the material he was harvesting?
  11. Think about reimplementing logic around walls. Right now when I build a wall and enemy gets near it, my spear infantry from the inside is attacking them through the wall, and they are doing the same from the outside. This has little or no logic at all.
  12. The game crashes sometimes when I try to save the game, while there are a lot of troops. I know this might be related to 32 bits, and being forced to use only 2GB of RAM.
  13. There is always a lag when playing FFA game of 6-8 players and selecting peace/neutral/war. It seems like underlying logic uses some long computations or so to produce "Yes let's be neutral" or "Yes let's be allies".
  14. There is always a noticeable lag when some Petra AI decides to launch an attack. As far as I saw, the lag occurs when Petra is preparing troops to the battle, and another one is when grouped troops are launched for attack.
     

I appreciate any criticism ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/09/2021 at 4:55 PM, smiley said:

Not that I am a proponent of any such thing, but when I used to play, the starting sequence literally takes 1 to 2.5 seconds on average.

I think reflexes are important too in the game: I find it to be a good warm-up. 

What I don't like about the starting sequence is that who has a fast pc or really good connection can enter the game before the others, so he has some seconds to look around and see exactly where to direct his units (if you have autociv you can even pre-set the command so when the game starts your units move immediately). Maybe it can be a good idea to give everyone a 5-sec countdown before the start of the game (like a 5 seconds freeze), so you have the time to see where are the berries and the invisible chickens and what woodlines are the best to use (choosing the correct woodline in a 1v1 is of huge importance).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

Allow to choose whether unit ordered to move and attack into enemy buildings should actually attack them (deal damage) or capture them.

Pressing CTRL gives you that choice.

11 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

Rework the way of units capturing the buildings. Right now when sending 50 units of infantry to capture building, enemy can freely order any units to garrison inside. While this is OK when the captured building is training units to garrison itself, it is looking weird when infantry/women from all around just come around my units which are currently capturing the building, rather than killing approaching enemies to prevent them to garrison inside and strengthen the defence.

You'll just have to micro it. :)

I usually use my CS cav for that; they're the first at the building and should get the job done. Sometimes I have a full-on battle next to a CC or a tower when I feel it's necessary, and sometimes I even have to temporarily withdraw to have the enemy troops leave the building.

17 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

Explain and clarify "loot" stats for units. Right now I have no idea what those stats mean, like are my troops needed to capture something to loot? Is it one-time loot? Do my soldier needs to kill some worker to "loot" the material he was harvesting?

I get the loot stats for units: kill them and you get the base amount (stated in the unit info) and what they're carrying. I don't get the loot for buildings tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jofursloft said:

I think reflexes are important too in the game: I find it to be a good warm-up. 

What I don't like about the starting sequence is that who has a fast pc or really good connection can enter the game before the others, so he has some seconds to look around and see exactly where to direct his units (if you have autociv you can even pre-set the command so when the game starts your units move immediately). Maybe it can be a good idea to give everyone a 5-sec countdown before the start of the game (like a 5 seconds freeze), so you have the time to see where are the berries and the invisible chickens and what woodlines are the best to use (choosing the correct woodline in a 1v1 is of huge importance).

I agree that it could be a good idea to freeze activities completely at the beginning of the game until all players are able for action. Should this be considered only for lobby/online games or also for LAN games? We only play on LAN at home and regularly observe that the player with the slowest PC (that's me :rolleyes:) is the last to come on board. Our kids won't tell me, of course, if they take an advantage of it. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I meant bridges that can be built, used, and destroyed. :) I'm not sure, though, how that would affect balance, as surely not all civs could build bridges. Well, at least not with the same sophistication. Surely, this would first need much more of collecting historic information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

Think about reimplementing logic around walls. Right now when I build a wall and enemy gets near it, my spear infantry from the inside is attacking them through the wall, and they are doing the same from the outside. This has little or no logic at all.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2001

34 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

PetraAI should use formations, because right now when bot is attacking, there is actually stream of infantry/cavalry going the same way (because of pathfinder). With formations wouldn't it be more 'elegant'?

Yes, but will become more buggy in dense forest areas or with not flat terrain

36 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

There is always a lag when playing FFA game of 6-8 players and selecting peace/neutral/war. It seems like underlying logic uses some long computations or so to produce "Yes let's be neutral" or "Yes let's be allies".

No ai involved? Are all players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Angen said:

Yes, but will become more buggy in dense forest areas or with not flat terrain

Could AI formations be automatically set to something that fits better in current surroundings, e.g. single file in dense (forest) areas? Please forgive me my ignorance about the technical efforts for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Purgator_ said:

9. Rework the way of units capturing the buildings. Right now when sending 50 units of infantry to capture building, enemy can freely order any units to garrison inside. While this is OK when the captured building is training units to garrison itself, it is looking weird when infantry/women from all around just come around my units which are currently capturing the building, rather than killing approaching enemies to prevent them to garrison inside and strengthen the defence.

A good one, we could maybe 'lock' the structure when it is being captured. Or let the player be able to lock a structure and capture by garrison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Pressing CTRL gives you that choice.

I know about CTRL to change to attack mode. I am talking about using CTRL + Right click on some free spot, not the building. By default it's move&attack, but apparently it changes into move&capture when building is encountered. Those are two different things.

 

1 hour ago, Angen said:

No ai involved? Are all players?

I play only vs AI, so the case is for AI.

Edited by Purgator_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Freagarach said:

A good one, we could maybe 'lock' the structure when it is being captured. Or let the player be able to lock a structure and capture by garrison.

Be careful because this is a slippery slope. It would make capturing even more OP than it already is.

15 hours ago, Purgator_ said:

I know about CTRL to change to attack mode. I am talking about using CTRL + Right click on some free spot, not the building. By default it's move&attack, but apparently it changes into move&capture when building is encountered. Those are two different things.

You can change attack-move behavior in the keyboard shortcuts preferences, by default CTRL + right click is something like "move attack and capture buildings".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I've played a few more rounds (only versus AI) and I would say:

  • Petra AI wants to trade, so it is sending it's traders to my trading post. But sometimes, there is an enemy area (with guard towers) between me and my Petra AI ally. So what Petra is doing is just sending the traders straight through the enemy territory - in result every trader is killed.
  • One update allowed units to gain experience and level up in ranks by garrisoning them in appropriate building (barracks for infantry, stables for cavalry etc). The problem is, after some fights, my units are mixed in ranks. I would love to train the lower ranks in barracks, but there is no way to select only low levels/high levels troops to separate them.
  • Ability to set custom population cap would be cool (like max 500/750/1000 per player).
  • Is the 200 units selection limit a hard limit? Can it be increased?
  • I think this is obvious one but: if you prepare your attacking group and in that group you will use ram with infantry inside, you cannot choose formation for that group. Simple formations window is being replaced by "units inside ram" window.
  • Is it possible to select all wounded units? Just the same way you can select all idle workers?
  • About the select idle worker button it's a magic. Sometimes the button is greyed out but using the hotkey you can select idle worker. But more funnier is that the button is to select idle WORKERS, then why it is selecting champion units? Shouldn't it only select worker citizens?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:
  • Ability to set custom population cap would be cool (like max 500/750/1000 per player).
  • Is the 200 units selection limit a hard limit? Can it be increased

Can be added as a mod or using the world population feature I think.

I think it's for performance reasons.

10 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

The problem is, after some fights, my units are mixed in ranks. I would love to train the lower ranks in barracks, but there is no way to select only low levels/high levels troops to separate them.

Yeah all units of one type use the same selection group name, i think to make it easier to do the opposite.

 

10 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:

Is it possible to select all wounded units? Just the same way you can select all idle workers?

I believe there is shortcut for that. Might want to check the hotkey editor.

 

10 minutes ago, Purgator_ said:
  •  
  • About the select idle worker button it's a magic. Sometimes the button is greyed out but using the hotkey you can select idle worker. But more funnier is that the button is to select idle WORKERS, then why it is selecting champion units? Shouldn't it only select worker citizens?

Sounds like a bug maybe langbart knows about it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...