Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

There is one thing about the voice chat mumble/murmur I like very much: TTS (text-to-speech). There is a possibility to feed the mumble client with text that it translates (very decently, IMO) to voice. Thus, you could get messages from 0 A.D. (e.g. queued units in CC are trained) directly to your ears. I'm not sure about the API, though.

• Like 1

I know units have some kind of ~memory where they gathered; unfortunately that doesn't include the memory of picking that resource clear, so they always do a useless trip there and back to the dropsite. Would it be possible to tweak the AI so they don't do that?

26 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

1 thing I have spotted: we need bigger chickens for A26. Or, we replace the starting hunt with another animal that is larger and easier to click on. For example, sheeps /cows.

circling vultures above chickens

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

How did you know I just made a vulture model ? :p

Vultures are a nice indicator of chicken location. However, can we make the selection box even larger? I often find myself clicking on empty ground instead of the chicken. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

Vultures are a nice indicator of chicken location. However, can we make the selection box even larger? I often find myself clicking on empty ground instead of the chicken. 

And eagles for rabbits. Not sure what bird to use for some new stone mines which are hard to tell from props at first.

A slightly bigger bounding box, at least one with a square footprint would be reasonable thou.

10 minutes ago, hyperion said:

And eagles for rabbits. Not sure what bird to use for some new stone mines which are hard to tell from props at first.

Maybe we don't have to limit ourselves to birds. As metal is really crucial, I'd love to have something like a sharknado marking metal deposits.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

How about auto-seeking chicken & rabbits at the beginning? :P

12 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Chickens should just be removed in favour of sheep.  

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Perhaps chickens should be replaced by a similar food-amount of sheep, goats, etc. instead of making mutant chickens.

I would be sad to have chicken removed. :( Being in full agreement that they are small, I would enjoy seeing them around, even if not "collecting" them.

10 hours ago, hyperion said:

Not sure what bird to use for some new stone mines which are hard to tell from props at first.

Bearded Vultures are known to drop bones to rocks to break them into more digestible pieces. See there as well. ;)

6 hours ago, Micfild said:

Besides a small increase in size, would it be possible to give it a thicker contour so it can be more easily spotted (specially in whiter terrains)?

Maybe the chickens could spread particles in form of feathers? :D

Edited by Ceres

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

How about auto-seeking chicken & rabbits at the beginning?

That would be handy in most cases. However, sometimes we might want to use the cav for early scouting / harassment and we want to teach new players to hunt instead of letting the cav hunt for them automatically. 

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

would be sad to have chicken removed. :( Being in full agreement that they are small, I would enjoy seeing them around, even if not "collecting" them.

Perhaps we start with sheeps / pigs, then spawn chicken as hunt on the outer edge of the territory (where you usually find goats and deers). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

However, sometimes we might want to use the cav for early scouting

I assume it would be more like RoN or something where initial citizens start the game already working as opposed to standing there.

• Like 1

Just now, smiley said:

RoN

What is that?

I think it would be more interesting if we order the units to do their thing. Sometimes certain rush strategies require women on wood or men on stone early. If you auto-order everything, efficiency actually decreases. Furthermore, we want to be able to teleport units across the cc. 

• Like 1

top priorities for A26 (IMHO):

- reduce lag. I have been experiencing heavy lag in all my games, since the very start of the game. people ask me if I have set game speed to 0.5 when it is in fact just lag. it didn't happen in A24.

- revert changes to animal AI, they were just fine in A24 and before, besides, it doesn't really make sense to me that animals and people have the same AI, it was a good thing they behaved differently.

22 minutes ago, alre said:

teleporting looks more like an exploit to me

I think it's strategically sound to use every advantage you can in a strategy game. Also I don't think it's unrealistic, as I don't see CCs like modern town halls, where ofc you can't just cut through. This is especially obvious with the CC models that have an agora; why not walk through there?

16 minutes ago, alre said:

- revert changes to animal AI, they were just fine in A24 and before, besides, it doesn't really make sense to me that animals and people have the same AI, it was a good thing they behaved differently.

I'm not a fan of current animal behavior either. Maybe it's more economic to just have a unified AI? Probably adjusting the stances will get rid of the worst changes.

30 minutes ago, alre said:

revert changes to animal AI, they were just fine in A24 and before, besides, it doesn't really make sense to me that animals and people have the same AI, it was a good thing they behaved differently.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with animals. What exactly is problematic about their AI?

So far corraling works just fine. Hunting is also OK.

@Yekaterina I'll quote myself: 

On 10/08/2021 at 1:17 PM, Gurken Khan said:

It appears as if someone(s) decided to change each animal's behavior to its most annoying variant.

Tigers and lions now never cease to track and follow a unit once they saw it from afar (unless you briefly hop into a building). On Ngorongoro for example that means if you take a look around the map you'll have literally dozens of lions coming for it. That's more annoying than their previous behavior of stopping the chase once out of sight.

Elephants on the other hand now will quickly stop the pursuit after you hurt them and ride off, again more annoying than previously if you want to kite them near a dropsite. From what I got from @Player of 0AD's post elsewhere the same is true for walruses.

Rhinos now are incredibly aggressive, unlike before where they only aggroed if you came too close.

Someone wrote somewhere that they don't like the new behavior of the musc oxes now running away when hunted.

Of course this is a list of subjective preferences, but I at least would like to know that those are deliberate choices that the community agrees with. :)

14 minutes ago, hyperion said:

As is garrisoning through walls. Others call it a basic game mechanic to make it reasonably fun to play.

would it be less fun if people had to walk around buildings (or trough them possibly)? it would be more intuitive for sure. I'm not saying teleporting is a bad thing altogether, but I don't think it's a good idea to design the game around it, because if buildings were given doors for people to go in and out (like in empire earth 2 for instance), that would be an improvement to the game.

2 hours ago, alre said:

but I wouldn't automatize the starting sequence, as early game would get more boring.

Not that I am a proponent of any such thing, but when I used to play, the starting sequence literally takes 1 to 2.5 seconds on average.