Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

Talking about the lag: I noticed in the last time a graphic independent simulation lag on my computer right from the beginning of the game. Starting an new game with 2 player -> create 100 units per cheat, then select them all and tell them to walk somewhere. The animation starts to get slightly choppy even though my fps are unchanged. And at that point there is nothing going on, that's just from the walk order. 

Otherwise +1 for han & 2 gendered citizens

Edited by maroder

A couple of throwbacks to fgod...it would be nice if in-game chat was color coded by the player's color. It would also be nice for observers if the sort function for population/res would order by indvl within team. It would also be nice if you could access replays without leaving the MP lobby.

12 hours ago, maroder said:

Talking about the lag: I noticed in the last time a graphic independent simulation lag on my computer right from the beginning of the game. Starting an new game with 2 player -> create 100 units per cheat, then select them all and tell them to walk somewhere. The animation starts to get slightly choppy even though my fps are unchanged. And at that point there is nothing going on, that's just from the walk order. 

Might be @wraitii animation sync

21 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Freagarach I suppose it's the onwnership changed message Which for some reason occur a lot on combat demo huge...

(Post message is ownership + ondestroy)

unknown-6.png

Ownership changing happens when an entity dies (it changes ownership to INVALID_PLAYER).

23 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

I'm talking early, like right away.

Does it fade away after a few seconds? For we experienced that. We start a game, it lags, we pause, wait a few moments and we can resume normally.

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

The animation starts to get slightly choppy even though my fps are unchanged. And at that point there is nothing going on, that's just from the walk order. 

I've noticed that too, on _some_ maps, in _some_ cases. I absolutely cannot figure out what's happening, profilers show nothing...

My best guess at the moment is that it has something to do with how we limit frame time, but I'm just really unsure.

2 hours ago, Freagarach said:

Does it fade away after a few seconds? For we experienced that. We start a game, it lags, we pause, wait a few moments and we can resume normally.

Some games, no. There are general complaints that a25 is laggier than previous alphas. But again, the last few games haven't been problematic. So maybe it was just a specific player or two? I'm sure complaints will eventually bubble up to the forums if it becomes enough of an issue. I was mostly just posting to put on your radar and ask if there could be some simpler way to achieve the desired graphics (or something to it, if it is indeed due to the graphics). Players have taken note that the install size is much larger than before. Again, this is largely speculation on my part. 

It' strange though, we keep adding new optimizations and people are finding every alpha slower than the previous one. I remember when A23b came out and people complained that it was way slower than A22, possibly because of the new unit meshes. 

For A25 we had a lot of graphics and engine optimizations...

• Like 2

Probably, but to really see if optimization had effect when comparing alphas you would need to have alpha where only optimization was done and nothing else

Imagine what would happen if optimization would not be done in 25.

Also if you mean lowe quality actors, it mathers only when it is used

It would be nice to have the same capability of the AI to self populate a 'garrisonable' building without the soldier actually leaving the building.

I hate that feeling where your hoard is capturing a CC and your increasing progress bar suddenly freezes and then starts dropping.  The replay shows soldiers being generated in the building without having appeared outside.

If you try this yourself the enemy immediately targets the new soldier and he usually loses most of his hit points before you can micro him back into the building. To be fair there are occasions where  my soldiers set to occupy an adjacent building never appear on the screen. 

• Like 2

Before it slips my mind again.

My fondest wish would be to have an attack icon choice that would allow you to set your soldiers on a specific class of enemy.  Its frustrating when you unload your garrison to target a ram, but after a second they decide to kill archers instead.  When the attacking force is great it is also difficult to isolate a click on a specific ram, hero, or melee. I would refer this as the kill this unit or die icon.

24 minutes ago, Old Roman said:

It would be nice to have the same capability of the AI to self populate a 'garrisonable' building without the soldier actually leaving the building.

I hate that feeling where your hoard is capturing a CC and your increasing progress bar suddenly freezes and then starts dropping.  The replay shows soldiers being generated in the building without having appeared outside.

If you try this yourself the enemy immediately targets the new soldier and he usually loses most of his hit points before you can micro him back into the building. To be fair there are occasions where  my soldiers set to occupy an adjacent building never appear on the screen. 

Hi,

Set rallypoint on the same building.

42 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

CTRL + rightclick

Usually you get a visual confirmation:

0ad-reingarrisionieren.jpg.491874013d87ecdc967311e854126df3.jpg

Thanks. If this doesn't work then you can set first enrollment point somewhere close to your cc then second enrollment point inside cc (hold down shift). You can use this to troll enemy soldiers as well.

Thanks Gurken and Yekatarina

For Yekatarina's suggestion you have to hold shift and CTRL down for the second right click to get them back in the CC, but that was probably obvious to every other 0AD player.

That will be very helpful.  I usually have skirmish woodcutters next to a barracks and tower.  When a mob approaches I usually have the skirmishers jump  in and out of the barracks to distract and wound whoever  is surrounding the tower.  Its also nice to use the occasion to generate more troops.  Now I can do the distraction part automatically.

Okay now I want a hotkey to put a few seconds pause between the two commands so he can throw a few spears before jumping back in the barracks.

Also it would be nice if there was a way to garrison a tower  automatically after the construction crew was done building.

(fingers crossed)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The officer upgrade and the hero bodyguard are the cherry on top of the cake. 

Honestly being able to train officers that boost a respective unit's stats slightly (just like the indian mansabdar units in AOE3 ) should  be a base feature.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Old Roman said:

Thanks Gurken and Yekatarina

For Yekatarina's suggestion you have to hold shift and CTRL down for the second right click to get them back in the CC, but that was probably obvious to every other 0AD player.

That will be very helpful.  I usually have skirmish woodcutters next to a barracks and tower.  When a mob approaches I usually have the skirmishers jump  in and out of the barracks to distract and wound whoever  is surrounding the tower.  Its also nice to use the occasion to generate more troops.  Now I can do the distraction part automatically.

Okay now I want a hotkey to put a few seconds pause between the two commands so he can throw a few spears before jumping back in the barracks.

Also it would be nice if there was a way to garrison a tower  automatically after the construction crew was done building.

(fingers crossed)

programmable time delay between queued commands, well that's a pro suggestion!

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Double clicking on portrait centers on unit/building.

I fairly often give orders to half a map away and then have to scroll the screen all the way back. So being able to go back where I started by double clicking would really be improving quality of life.

There are already hotkeys that do this, search them in the hotkey editor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Double clicking on portrait centers on unit/building.

I fairly often give orders to half a map away and then have to scroll the screen all the way back. So being able to go back where I started by double clicking would really be improving quality of life.

selecting jump
yes selecting a building is one of the most often used thing of the autoCiv mod users i think. selecting units also. i think my config is the easiest to remember for newbies (of course you know its on github). very intuitive. you only have to remember the first letters (of the objects). but i not able to select everything. actually i don't know how to select a trader by shortcut.
but you are right, i don't know shortcuts to jump to this units. i have a workaround that works for jumping to last build hause, or last build Barack and so one. i don't think there is a solution to jump (not select) to a special unit by simple pressing a key. right?

UPDATE: Probably select and then press Space works for jump to the units. i forget. may that works. not trayed at moment for buildings

Today is set into the HotKey-Config GUI 'Focus on rallypoints' that i could use for jump to buildings.

image.png.86c54854696892bd8e9eca53763de5dd.png

i use it like so.

1. first letter (+CTRL) for the building type for select the building

2. press space-key (that jumps in most cases very near to this building)

whey i using space? space is good known from jumping 'focus on last attack notification' and so easy to remember to focus something.

whey i using first letter to build a building like thies example:
hotkey.autociv.session.building.place.field = "F"
whey i using ctrl+first letter to select a building like this example:
hotkey.autociv.session.entity.by.class.select.(Farmstead|Forge|Fortress) = "Ctrl+F"
because its easy to
remember.

example to focus the market:

1. press Ctrl+M

2 press space
image.png.b723790960705f6c0063e00900c87686.png

In addition, I have the opportunity to jump to the location of the last construction contract for some buildings. therefore i use singe letter for build a building and the same letter to set the camera:

image.png.79af03275d5d7ae4e037de2bd71ebba2.png

image.png.24b57d3dbf651b939e2834ca9e245299.png

Edited by seeh

I have to admit I witnessed a severe lag improvement at least in the map 'Polar Sea'. I remember a playing a single player match in A24 and not being capable to finish the game due the massive lag caused by the large populations of the never ending wolf hordes (turning it into one of the most hard maps in the game, even for the IA). Congratulations to the development team.  Let's expect that things can continue improving with the next release and particularly with the LOD ticket.

Other than that, I noticed these two cute animals are missing their respective animations:

Screenshot_2021-08-28_20-00-45.png

Screenshot_2021-08-28_20-05-14.png

• Like 1