Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

16 minutes ago, AIEND said:

I should say, "Han" is a race, a civilization, an empire and a dynasty at the same time.

just like roman refers to a city and to a republic and later to an empire, and persian is still used to address the language (and not only that) of modern Iran. so just "Han" is perfectly fine and also consistent with the other names currently used.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alre said:

just like roman refers to a city and to a republic and later to an empire, and persian is still used to address the language (and not only that) of modern Iran. so just "Han" is perfectly fine and also consistent with the other names currently used.

I think the only divergence in your example is with the modern state, where Han refers to an ethnic group that is part of China, rather than the whole, diverse country. But this is a side note.

I think even if you call it Han China, the players will probably abbreviate it to Han as a measure of practicality. In the same way, Ptolemies have become Ptol and Mauryas have become Maur and Seleucids have become Seles. I agree the best way would be to simply call the civ "Han" as suggested

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I think the only divergence in your example is with the modern state, where Han refers to an ethnic group that is part of China, rather than the whole, diverse country. But this is a side note.

but in present times rome does refer to just a part of a larger country (italy).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

In the same way, Ptolemies have become Ptol and Mauryas have become Maur and Seleucids have become Seles.

So you're suggesting to rename those civs in-game to ptol, maur and sele? Probably not. This discussion is not about colloquialisms and abbreviations, but what the 'official' names should be.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

So you're suggesting to rename those civs in-game to ptol, maur and sele? Probably not. This discussion is not about colloquialisms and abbreviations, but what the 'official' names should be.

Of course not lol. I am just trying to convey that we should not fight a war over this and just go for the simpler solution: "Han"

42 分钟前,BreakfastBurrito_007 说:

我认为你的例子中唯一的分歧是现代国家,汉族指的是属于中国的一个民族,而不是整个多元化的国家。 但这是一个旁注。

我想就算你叫它汉中国,玩家们可能也会把它简称为汉作为衡量实用性的标准。 同样,托勒密变成了托勒,孔雀变成了毛尔,塞琉古变成了塞勒斯。 我同意最好的方法是按照建议简单地将文明称为“汉”

In fact, "Chinese" is also ambiguous. In modern times, this term usually refers to all ethnic groups in the People's Republic of China, not just the Han nationality. But in the Han Dynasty, Chinese usually refers to the Han people in North China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, Acanthis said:

it would be nice if maps had more terrain variation and there were bonuses associated with terrain.

It does not ?

You mean I've been occupying the higher ground in so many games just for nothing ?

I noticed one thing, the quality and clearity of unit icons has gone down in a26 compared to a25. Let's take an example of persians units from baracks and stable.

in a25: From icons I can clearly identify type of units weapon they have and son on. The icons are of managebale quality to give enough information.

964184452_Screenshot(209).thumb.png.37ac31f454f3057c87a6a14512d32e8e.png

Now in a26: icons are of poor quality. Can't teel diff between different kind of cavs, had to focus what is what, detailing is not apperant at all.

202607965_Screenshot(210).thumb.png.7750c1b8ac8a951d2e17a339c5c05724.png

I'm not sure what was the reason to do so, but I think the unit icons should be clear and have some quality and detailing which make things more understable for user. Its also gives better experiene. 

Can anyone help with reasoning for the reduced quality?

1 hour ago, Darkcity said:

202607965_Screenshot(210).thumb.png.7750c1b8ac8a951d2e17a339c5c05724.png

I'm not sure what was the reason to do so, but I think the unit icons should be clear and have some quality and detailing which make things more understable for user. Its also gives better experiene. 

Can anyone help with reasoning for the reduced quality?

well, you might just be more familiar with the a25 icons. I oftentimes think the yellow on the cappadocian cavalry is hyrcanian cavalry, but this is because i don't play persia very much.

In a couple of weeks, I am sure you will be familiar with them.

Also (unrelated), is there a reason the second image is darker than the first? I wonder if thats some graphical difference between a25 and a26. Perhaps the settings are not the same, back to default.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

18 minutes ago, go2die said:

'm sure someone will make mod which will return back old nice icons, new one too dark hard to see, sorry dont want

That's me!

Which alpha would you like to return to?

lololol I love han.  It's like Carthage w/ Maury w/ Persia put on steroids.

• +10% pop (Maury/Persia)
  • TWO +20% dmg heroes (Persia/Carthage, both of which have just 1)
  • ministers (new
  • sword cav p1 (YAY!). (CARTHAGE!!! But p1)
  • cheap will to fight equivalent upgrade for ranged units (1200 food, 1200 wood)
    • critical as the only way to win with archers is to make sure you're 1-2 upgrades ahead.  Also, will be critical for long games where people don't do will to fight usually.

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I have had in mind to revamp them one more time, specifically cavalry, and use the same horse colors for specific classes of cavalry. White for melee cav. Beige or brown for ranged cav. Etc. 

From the old portraits @Darkcity showed I couldn't make out the weapons either; except for the bow? Maybe you could try to bring the weapons as much to the foreground as possible.

Color coding sounds good, but besides white, brown and black I don't know what other distinct color you would use. Green? ;)

Another thing could be "face coding": with the old portraits two were facing left, two right (CS cav); I feel it helps with quickly orienting if there's not a majority facing in the same direction.

Thx for your efforts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darkcity said:

I think the unit icons should be clear and have some quality and detailing which make things more understable for user.

Sure, in theory, I don't think that anyone would be against that. But consider what your suggestion entails. The best way to do this for a single portrait is to have an artist make it from scratch, either entirely in 2D (Photoshop, Gimp, Krita, etc.) or a combination of 2D and 3D (Blender, Zbrush, etc.). That's feasible for a single portrait, like for one of the heroes. But when we consider just regular units, mercs and champions, we're talking about hundreds of portraits. Given that, it's much more expedient to make the portraits using the game's models and textures, as it's currently being done. There's also a sort of middle-groundish solution, which is to use a combination of MakeHuman, some of the game assets (helmets, armor, etc.) and a little bit of 2D painting and editing. That's the workflow that was used for the hero portraits. But there are far more non-hero units than heroes. So, at the end of the day, it's just more expedient to stick to the current way of making the non-hero portraits.

But if you, or anyone else, wants to talk a shot a portraits, then by all means, go ahead.

1 hour ago, Sevda said:

What about, instead of controversial pictures, we replace them with English text instead, for example a button with a label "spearman" will train a spearman after you click on it.

Sounds like something for one of them GUI mods. ;)

21 hours ago, Sevda said:

What about, instead of controversial pictures, we replace them with English text instead, for example a button with a label "spearman" will train a spearman after you click on it.

Edited by rossenburg
  • Like 1