Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

One of the topics that have heard for a suggestion, are making renewable resources such as trees and fish renewable. Another type of tweak along those lines  would relate to stone and metal. As you advance from the village phase to the town phase to the city, more stone and metal resources could become exposed. This would be based on the premise that each new phase would have better technology to locate resources and/or find less productive mines that would become productive with increased technology.

There is a downside to this suggestion in the sense that the game is meant to be quick and not a long term civilization building game.

On 18/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, Acanthis said:

1) Defensive buildings could use a boost. 

Fortresses in particular. Should be able to train something. At the moment most civs only have access to Will to Fight tech.

2) If only lag with larger maps could be handled better, it would be nice if maps had more terrain variation and there were bonuses associated with terrain. The lay of the land and its condition even were such big factors in ancient warfare (and still today) that for the geography to have next to zero impact on the course of a game simulating this time frame just seems... well, flat. I think this ties with larger maps because smaller ones with wild variation in terrain would just be weird.

As far as I'm concerned, this alpha has the best playability in years. I wouldn't want massive changes to balance in the next alpha. There are clear concerns but minor tweaks plus new features would be nice. Just my two cents.

I also like A25 a lot. Many thanks to the developpers! I agree with Acanthis that there should not be too many changes for next alpha. Some of the small changes I found since the release to improve the game and its playability are:

• The images for the armor upgrades in the blacksmith would be better, if they also had Latin numbers on them, even if they look different I still cannot distinguish them in the pace of the game after all the time I played. :/

• It would be cool to see the progress of units ranking up when garrisoned in barracks or stables.

• It would be also nice to have a counter how long the upgrading of an sentry tower to an stone tower still takes like you have for the most techs.

• Lions follow there first unit they see endlessly, which I find not very clever of the lions. Why should they do it? They should stop after some time!

• It would be cool to have the option to choose the starting position of the players in an online game.

• When attack moving and enemy domestic animals are close your units also kill the animals, priority should be to attack military units and maybe not attack the animals at all.

• I observed a strange thing with formations: When fighting in formation in some circumstances, after units die, soldiers move around to adjust formation to new group size, which might make them not attack and die.

• If an enemy has a wall but you already broke it on one spot your soldiers do not find the way around walls and try to go trough the closed door of the enemy. Maybe this can be fixed.

• If you are Britons and have stables and reached the POP max but still can build dogs, it would be really cool when the queue would build the dogs even when other units are in the queue before the dogs.

• A good temple feature would be to have a button/shortcut to just ungarrison the healed units.

• After joining an online game and host changes some settings you get a comment that game settings have been changed. It would be great to read what the host changed! e.g. map size changed to large, game changed to nomad game

• When playing with A.I. it would be great to get a notification of your A.I. allies where they are located as players do it in multiplayer games via telling the position on map like it is a clock or by flaring or better both.

• Lately I observed that cartography gives you the landscape your allies scouted but not all the buildings of the enemy he saw. But this needs further validation. I just saw it on a replay, or better I didn't see the colony my ally already saw. Shouldn't I see all my allies see with cartography?

Considering tech upgrades pleas stop making more of them. Maybe some faction specific or for balancing. I really like 0 A.D. and the difference to AOE2 where you have so many upgrades. To be honest I don't like 3rd level upgrade in the blacksmith because they make the game to much focused on getting them to have an advantage over your enemy or to don't have a disadvantage against your enemy...

Edited by Nobbi
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thales said:

Suggest the ability to change the size of the cursor, due to visual impairment. I keep loosing the cursor resulting in fumbling around.

Also along those lines, making each building visually distinct.

En passant, I would suggest to try out Delenda Est. Other than being an amazing mod, it offers some alternative cursors, a bit bigger, that would probably help! :)

But maybe an option for the size could be useful in the main game, too

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 4:51 AM, chrstgtr said:

A couple of throwbacks to fgod...it would be nice if in-game chat was color coded by the player's color. It would also be nice for observers if the sort function for population/res would order by indvl within team. It would also be nice if you could access replays without leaving the MP lobby.

I agree I stopped playing back during A23 do to some computer problems and I'm back now and fgod made some nice things, and now the only closest thing is nani's autociv which no offense to him is not quite the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest/request a hotkey feature to add training batches to idle building only, in a control group.

i.e: If a control group has 1 cc and 2 barracks in it. If first I train women (batch goes to cc) and then I train skirmishers (batch goes to cc AND barracks). In this instance, a hotkey to train units from idle buildings only would be very helpful as women already training in cc and a spare batch of skirmishers is very inefficient.

The hotkey would also be a huge aid to help sync training batches in buildings, thereby saving some time and resources.

Edited by Effervescent
  • Like 2

Here are some ideas that i got from other games, (please correct me if this is already implemented and it is just hidden ingame like bonuses and others)

- walls that where long range units can use it as a vantage point

- elevation bonuses for long range units (firing from a cliff or atop of a wall) and cavalry (charging down a hill)

- cover mechanics like long range units has bonus defense when in tree lines or forests or behind short walls or towers or having debuff when firing on units in tree lines and forests.

- randomly generated maps.. like a "surprise me" option for more thrills

- obviously more civs but i think this can wait

-ambush spots like tall grass or thick forests 

- movement speed variances on different terrains and biomes

- group bonus? like pierce attack buff when 20 spearmen are grouped in a formation or an attack buff on a group of archers??? or special bonuses are triggered when they are in a specific formation like a cav group in a wedge formation will have a trample bonus??? idk.. just to mix things up but not to the point that it will break the game.

44 minutes ago, RiftNomad said:

ambush spots like tall grass or thick forests

Planned.

44 minutes ago, RiftNomad said:

movement speed variances on different terrains and biomes

I doubt very much, due to our Pathfinder.

45 minutes ago, RiftNomad said:

group bonus? like pierce attack buff when 20 spearmen are grouped in a formation or an attack buff on a group of archers??? or special bonuses are triggered when they are in a specific formation like a cav group in a wedge formation will have a trample bonus??? idk.. just to mix things up but not to the point that it will break the game.

We have a battalion discussion on the technical forum.

46 minutes ago, RiftNomad said:

cover mechanics like long range units has bonus defense when in tree lines or forests or behind short walls or towers or having debuff when firing on units in tree lines and forests.

Partially agree. Our walls are not getting any bonuses and are not very practical to build.

I see the trees as complicated to implement.

47 minutes ago, RiftNomad said:

obviously more civs but i think this can wait

Takes time.

Han Dynasty and Lusitanian are on the way... :)

6 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

how would that be?

Less vague. And more detailed. An example will suffice.

a parameter selection would be good. like the number of resources, climate, terrain (how hilly or mountainous it is), amount of water in the map etc. 

or we could go how AoE 4 does it. They have preset maps but is randomly generated to make it more replayable so that every game is unique (restarting the same match also generates a new seed of the chosen preset map). 

For example, Acropolis Bay may have different positions of resources, wildlife threats and entrances. even the  starting positions can vary as long as the base definition of the map stays (two starting positions that are on a hill and face each other connected by a road and a bay on the side of the map in example for Acropolis Bay). This would make players think more of how they position their buildings each time they play and rely on scouts more. 

6 hours ago, Purgator_ said:

Make use of that wooden guard tower. When garrisoned by unit, alarms player upon noticing enemy on sight.

Like AOE 4 but with extra steps... still, i like this too. In AoE 4 you will hear shouts when they see an enemy.

• Like 1

An underrated mechanic is the Rigorous Training in Barracks and Stable, where garrisoning units in them can passively gain them XP. How about giving this trait to some other higher tier military buildings like Fortress or Hero Spawn?

The one that I think would fit this flavor of change the most were the Hellenic States, especially Sparta, to illustrate even more their martial society.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Our walls are not getting any bonuses and are not very practical to build.

They have an elevation damage bonus iirc when garrisoned.

14 hours ago, RiftNomad said:

or we could go how AoE 4 does it. They have preset maps but is randomly generated to make it more replayable so that every game is unique (restarting the same match also generates a new seed of the chosen preset map). 

That's what random maps are. They are procedurally generated. The most known one is called mainland but there are quite a few others

I have just discovered that all defensive buildings (civic centers included) have had their damage capped at 10 pierce, why was their damage so drastically reduced from A23, they can barely handle citizen troops now. Champions can just laugh at them and wander merrily on, least in A23 you could actually blunt a champion army with fortifications, its basically impossible to do now in A25.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1