Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 26

m7600

4 minutes ago, Fabius said:

Is there any possibility of Testudo being useful in A26? It's still listed as a Roman civ bonus but it does nothing to my knowledge. Just looks nice. I think Delende Est has a working format for it, so perhaps that could be borrowed?

all formations are in that state, they are not yet functional. In fact I don't know if there is something planned. For now we have the battalion formations as a new implementation in the game.

I would like to suggest the Minoan civilization as an added faction. There are "problems" with this, in the sense that the Minoan civilization would be out-of-scope with the 0AD time-frame and that this could be considered one-to-many (excessive) factions. According to Wikipedia the Minoan civilization cover the approximate period of 3500BC to 1100BC.

Just a utopian thought for (in that time period) a mythically advanced civilization.

36 minutes ago, Thales said:

I would like to suggest the Minoan civilization as an added faction. There are "problems" with this, in the sense that the Minoan civilization would be out-of-scope with the 0AD time-frame and that this could be considered one-to-many (excessive) factions. According to Wikipedia the Minoan civilization cover the approximate period of 3500BC to 1100BC.

Just a utopian thought for (in that time period) a mythically advanced civilization.

Minoan civilization was a part of the Aristeai mod and was made by @LordGood

• Like 2

As we all know, lag is one of the biggest problems in 0ad. Lag, however, lag has two components (1) network lag and (2) CPU lag. It would be nice to have a feature that shows when one player is lagging because of CPU lag. The first, network lag, can often be quickly fixed by changing networks or moving closer to the router. CPU lag, however, can rarely be fixed once in a game. It would be nice if we had this feature to identify whether laggy "unplayable" games could quickly become playable by just moving closer to a router. Having a feature that shows CPU lag would also help identify which players are problematic and should stick to playing 3v3 instead of 4v4 games, whether the player should play less cpu intensive maps (i.e., mainland vs red sea and alpine vs india biome), whether that player should focus on closing background apps, and whether that player should lower graphic settings. 

Edited by chrstgtr
  • Like 2

I would like to suggest that the information screen for ships be updated to identify the type of units that can be carried on that particular ship. I suspected that siege units could not be loaded, but I gave it a try anyway. It did not work, but to make matters amusingly worse, the dock and ship were built where the water was too shallow for the ship to move!!:rolleyes: The water was too deep for the siege units, but some soldiers were able to cross to the other shore. But I was not able to expand the beachhead. Live and learn. Can't win them all.Pentekontoros.png.a843157aae75ba3e033526d0c19b2174.png

Anyway, I finally won my first game playing the Athenians at the easy level.:)

Edited by Thales
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1) Defensive buildings could use a boost. 

Fortresses in particular. Should be able to train something. At the moment most civs only have access to Will to Fight tech.

2) If only lag with larger maps could be handled better, it would be nice if maps had more terrain variation and there were bonuses associated with terrain. The lay of the land and its condition even were such big factors in ancient warfare (and still today) that for the geography to have next to zero impact on the course of a game simulating this time frame just seems... well, flat. I think this ties with larger maps because smaller ones with wild variation in terrain would just be weird.

As far as I'm concerned, this alpha has the best playability in years. I wouldn't want massive changes to balance in the next alpha. There are clear concerns but minor tweaks plus new features would be nice. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Acanthis said:

it would be nice if maps had more terrain variation and there were bonuses associated with terrain.

I just played a game where the map/terrain were identical to a prior game, so it would be nice if there was greater randomness in map/terrain generation. This made it easier to avoid the pitfalls mentioned below.

As an additional terrain concern, is the ability for siege units to traverse certain terrain (including obstructing objects). Obviously siege units can't traverse all terrain or get around all obstructions, but maybe there could be a pop-up saying that the siege unit is obstructed?

In several cases, I attempted to send a siege unit to point "A", instead it went the "wrong" way. Obviously it was looking for a different route, but then the siege units became separated from the main army. In one case, I deleted the siege units since there appeared to be no passable route. Once on the other side, built a new armory.

Terrain should also include shallow water. I built a trireme only to find that it could go nowhere since the water was too shallow. :mellow:

A consideration with my suggestion is that you can't have a pop-up for every conceivable situation.

@Thales What you saw with the trireme is only a tip of the iceberg: I hate to say it, but the whole naval mechanic is quite broken in A25. The reason behind this disaster is that most people only play land games and ships are quite rarely used, so people don't care about them and any issues they have are never fixed and carried forward from alpha to alpha. And then a vicious circle forms: more problematic mechanic -> less people touch ships -> problem gets worse over time. 

So we need to re-do the ships completely. The problem with terrain sourced from the 'passable' tag in the xml files. It is possible that there is a small dot of 'passable' area, which enabled your ship to spawn into that hole, but all of the area surrounding it is classified as non-passable for ships. Therefore your ship can only stay stationary inside the hole and not move anywhere else. 

Reverting back to A23 simply isn't an option: it worked under completely different mechanics and stats. We can restore the sound effects, however, since many have said that A23's alarms were more effective and audible than A25 alarms. Also the resignation and gaia attack sound effects are a bit strange in A25.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Reverting back to A23 simply isn't an option: it worked under completely different mechanics and stats. We can restore the sound effects, however, since many have said that A23's alarms were more effective and audible than A25 alarms. Also the resignation and gaia attack sound effects are a bit strange in A25.

Can you elaborate more on that? Pinging @Samulis

8 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Can you elaborate more on that? Pinging @Samulis

In A23, we had completely different sound effects for targets being hit. The most obvious one I remember was a loud clanging noise when arrows or slings strike a target, be it a human or a building. This is was great because it immediately informs us that there is a fight happening. In A24 and A25 arrow shots and javelin shots are much much quieter (although more realistic), which makes it difficult to know if you are attacked. 

The A23 alarm was significantly louder and plays every time your unit gets hit. In A25 it is not as loud and not so noticeable. 

Also A23 had quite normal resign sound effects (someone sighs). In A25 the resignation effect is a weird horn sound which is scary. Also when you are attacked by gaia, it should use the same alarm as being attacked by an enemy, instead of the horn tune in A25 

Some additional thoughts concerning the role of the fortress.

The "Will to Fight" advancement would be more appropriate when located in the "seat of government" building (Council Chambers) as it is up to the political leaders (king, caesar, emperor, etc.) to motivate the troops and populace for a war effort. Especially through their charisma.

What about relocating "conscription" to the fortress? Still trying to think of other advancements that would enhance the idea of building/using fortresses.

PS: My ideas are based on the Athenian Advancement Structure Tree, so they may not be appropriate for other civilizations.

9 hours ago, Thales said:

What about relocating "conscription" to the fortress? Still trying to think of other advancements that would enhance the idea of building/using fortresses.

Perhaps, but I would really like easy access to that tech :D 

In late game you need to spam from barracks and this tech can determine a win or a loss. 

The "Will to Fight" advancement would be more appropriate when located in the "seat of government" building (Council Chambers) as it is up to the political leaders (king, caesar, emperor, etc.) to motivate the troops and populace for a war effort. Especially through their charisma.

You have a point here. But this boost is really significant so it should be costly and difficult to obtain. If you want to move it to the CC then it should cost 1000 food, 1300 wood, 1600 stone and 1000 metal. 

PS: My ideas are based on the Athenian Advancement Structure Tree, so they may not be appropriate for other civilizations.

I recommend trying out many other civs, especially the Romans and Spartans. I consider the Athenians as difficult to play with

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

recommend trying out many other civs, especially the Romans and Spartans. I consider the Athenians as difficult to play with

You have a point there. Sort of sticking with the Athenians based on romanticized nostalgia.:rolleyes:

They do seem to lack effective swordsmen and archers in the early game.

How are they "difficult to play with"? 

"Perhaps, but I would really like easy access to that tech" [conscription] Conscription is a societal concept developed by the government, not really a technological advance. It is an early societal concept and should be easy to obtain. So the Community Center would be a possible location for that advancement.

Edited by Thales
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, Thales said:

Add the capability to train land military units in a fortress.

Commensurate with what is allowed with the current game play phase.

I would suggest give them something extra for being trained in a P3 building, trained by veterans if you will. Why else not just build another barracks instead? For instance one level of experience, some added attack strength, something not too complicated at least. Or, as an extra requisite, when a hero is garrisoned there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rollieoo said:

I would suggest give them something extra for being trained in a P3 building, trained by veterans if you will. Why else not just build another barracks instead? For instance one level of experience, some added attack strength, something not too complicated at least. Or, as an extra requisite, when a hero is garrisoned there.

You just gave me an additional thought for an extra fortress benefit. Fortresses are larger more complete facilities than Barracks. As such they would have room for "infirmaries". Units garrisoned in a fortress consequently should have their health restored at a faster rate.

Which brings me to a new question, does a "surgeon" (Athenian) have the capabilities to heal when garrisoned within a structure?

On 19/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, Thales said:

As such they would have room for "infirmaries". Units garrisoned in a fortress consequently should have their health restored at a faster rate.

Research the living condition tech from temple and all structures become infirmaries. 

On 19/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, Thales said:

does a "surgeon" (Athenian) have the capabilities to heal when garrisoned within a structure?

No, except for garrisoned walltops. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps this is not feasible or relevant for A26, but rather something potentially down the road.

Sparta has skiritai commandos, which are a unique unit: strong, pricy, but still citizen soldiers. I would say they are balanced and fit well with the spartans. I would like to see other units of this category in the future. It's hard to give examples, but perhaps we could bring back the heavy skirmisher (removed along with the stoa in A24) into this role. I think this would probably be an athenian unit, although they do already have access to mercenary skirms. I imagine the Han could make use of this category as well.

Maybe the persian axe cav would fit this role, since they are a cav civ and the axe cav is already a unique unit.

You guys could probably think of much better examples, but basically what I'm calling for are a few more "middle ground" units: a cut above regular CS, but not as strong as champions.

Thanks!

Elephants are too strong against stone structures such as walls, fortresses, and towers. The stone walls need to be made stronger against elephants in the next update.

I am a bit conflicted concerning the ability of units, especially archers, in stone structures being able to kill the enemy. When my stone structures are attacked, I have not notice the enemy dying. But, then I've seen some of my troops, who have mysteriously gone off on their own, get killed by an enemy tower. So I may be missing the enemy troops getting killed near my towers as there usually is a massive number, so you don't see the individual units dying.

For some reason, it seems that some of my troops go out on their own and it is difficult to make them comeback. Curious???

Edited by Thales