How do you guys feel about a25 in terms of how much fun you have compared to a23 or a24?

In my opinion, the games seem more flexibile in what your options are: this is from the availability and versatility of metal as well as the increased ways to move around the map. Games seem to be much faster paced and exciting.

Also, one of my favorite new observations is that people are much less hesitant to fight. In a24, people would paddle back and forth without ever committing to anything, while in a25 a fight can happen suddenly and without a forseen outcome.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 1

More metal.  Way more metal.  Don't specifically have to worry about running out of metal.  Means you don't need to tell yourself "I only have 1 metal mine, I cannot play offensive."  Had plenty of games like that previously.  At least two metal mines means it is ok to try to be offensive.  Currently, there is so much metal there is no reason to worry about not jumping into the fighting.

• Like 1

I'm liking the pace of it, and autotrain is literally a game changer, as in, it feels familiar - but the dynamic of the game definitely has changed. It's certainly helping me as I was terrible at balancing unit production, but I know everyone else has that as well now! Waiting to test it all out in anger this week, see if I'm still a terrible player!

But overall, I feel A25 is a vast improvement. I'm biased, I'm doing the PR work for 0AD - but before the release I officially suggested that A25 would over deliver - I genuinely feel it has. I'm really enjoying it straight from the off.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The biomes are a work in progress.

Jungle biome is a bit too heavy on trees. It makes it difficult to just place all buildings for a fully developed city. Otherwise, I’m happy with the current biomes. 

Edit: If you want that look, an easy fix would be to make trees less wood, so that they are cut quicker

Edited by chrstgtr

I’m also very biased (and it is still a bit early), but I think A25 is great step in the right direction. 

I would like more civ differentiation in a26 that creates unique strategies (e.g., fanatics in a21, Athens champs/slingers in a23, mace siege rush in a23 and earlier alphas, etc.)

• Like 1

A25 look good, i would like the melee unit to bther each other more. 

Metal is good, can have a lot of possibility of gameplay now but i fear of spamming champ easy control all ennemy building. Why not put attack capture of champ same as units no champion ?

I would like if unit have more hp like 20% or reduce attack speed of all units or something for fights for long

For A26 please a new type of shieldless melee infantery unit that would break down shield melee unit easily

Agree with chrstgtr too 

the old biomes still exist or the name to just change ?

Now it's less easy to defend and that's a good thing, but I liked it when the games got stuck, it forced players to find weak points and find strategies, but often lacked metal.

I still don't like that the stable is separate from the barracks, useless and boring.

Edited by Dakara

1 hour ago, chrstgtr said:

I would like more civ differentiation in a26 that creates unique strategies (e.g., fanatics in a21, Athens champs/slingers in a23, mace siege rush in a23 and earlier alphas, etc.)

#SAVEMACEDONIANS

Edit:  It appears that Kushites lost the 3x bonus vs champions that one of their temple champion units had sometime in the last 2 alphas.  That was up there with the uniqueness.

Edited by Dizaka

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Can you guys be more specific about the animal behavior?

It appears as if someone(s) decided to change each animal's behavior to its most annoying variant.

Tigers and lions now never cease to track and follow a unit once they saw it from afar (unless you briefly hop into a building). On Ngorongoro for example that means if you take a look around the map you'll have literally dozens of lions coming for it. That's more annoying than their previous behavior of stopping the chase once out of sight.

Elephants on the other hand now will quickly stop the pursuit after you hurt them and ride off, again more annoying than previously if you want to kite them near a dropsite. From what I got from @Player of 0AD's post elsewhere the same is true for walruses.

Rhinos now are incredibly aggressive, unlike before where they only aggroed if you came too close.

Someone wrote somewhere that they don't like the new behavior of the musc oxes now running away when hunted.

Of course this is a list of subjective preferences, but I at least would like to know that those are deliberate choices that the community agrees with. :)

• Like 1

A25 seems to be the best Alpha so far. It is alot better than the  "camel rush and sling" alpha 23, as it offers more dimensions. P1 rush - P2 cav rush - Champions - Ranged focussed army - melee focussed army - i mean i havent played a lot, but seems more balanced so far. I kinda had the impression Camel rush very strong strat, especially with faster game, but it remains to be seen.

Edit: Also i like the new path finder a lot

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

Tigers and lions

We should make them aggressive instead of violent, I guess.

Elephants on the other hand

We should increase their vision range a tad.

Rhinos

We could make them defensive instead of aggressive.

If you want, can you please tweak some of the template values (vision and UnitAI default stance) and provide us (ideally with a patch on Phabricator) with what you think is a better situation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

A25 seems to be the best Alpha so far. It is alot better than the  "camel rush and sling" alpha 23, as it offers more dimensions. P1 rush - P2 cav rush - Champions - Ranged focussed army - melee focussed army - i mean i havent played a lot, but seems more balanced so far. I kinda had the impression Camel rush very strong strat, especially with faster game, but it remains to be seen.

Edit: Also i like the new path finder a lot

Camels have shorter range and are less accurate. Still, it remains to be seen if this will make a difference (I’ve only played against it with players who are clearly better or worse than me, so the jury is still out here for me)

4 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

Camels have shorter range and are less accurate. Still, it remains to be seen if this will make a difference (I’ve only played against it with players who are clearly better or worse than me, so the jury is still out here for me)

I got camel rushed 3 or 4 times by juarca, who is better than me. It is frustrating, but it seems you can go back to work fairly easily, and if you have 4-5 spearcav you can trap and kill 10 or more camels with a bit of patience and planning, I had some luck vs 8 camels with 2 spearcav and a sentry tower and 4 skirms (women stayed chopping).

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

I'm absolutely no fan of the new resource distribution on Corinthian Isthmus. I never liked this mixture of berries and wood; I think it just makes microing your workers more pain without any real gain. (One of the reasons I dislike Belgian Uplands, besides it being an objectively terrible map because it is so massively unbalanced.)

Hunting opportunities seem unbalanced. I had a handful of deer available, but not exclusively, while my neighboring enemy had >a dozen sheep conveniently available where no one else could reach them.

The two 1,000 lumps of stone are too few and usually in my way around my CC, and I don't enjoy to make it a p3 priority getting access to more than 2,000.