New Release: 0 A.D. Alpha 25: Yaunā

mysticjim

On 08/08/2021 at 5:14 PM, Stan` said:

Thanks do you think you could update your PPA ?

When Debian will update its package I could easily sync it, otherwise I could do the work myself, however I need more time, I am also in vacation next week.

EDIT 2021-08-16: alpha 25 is now packaged in my PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers/

• Thanks 1

This has got to be the most polished release ever :victory:

The last two months seemed like a bit of a pain for the devs (lurking bugs jumping at them from the forums, trac and several other places), but many have been fixed and the effort will pay off for sure.

I think the new workflow with the preview releases is a great change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to @Stan` and everyone else on the team for taking the time to have so many release candidates and for addressing concerns. I think a long "feature freeze" is the way to go and I'm sure the team will have conversations moving forward about whether future releases should be the same way. Of course it can be streamlined (this 1-2 month freeze likely wasn't planned to be that way, I'm sure). But I think in the end it produced a better product and the team should be happy with what they've accomplished. Next time can be more streamlined and planned with lessons learned from the last release cycle and the results can be even better. 

6168b38454d2ce4b02faf92a4b73e107.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I regret that I wasn't very active during the test playing. Anyway, I just gave the new release a try and... wow, the game is now so much better! So smooth, clean, calming and beautiful. You've really done a lot of work during those past two years. I usually had to get used to each new release, but this just one just instantly feels better.

Also thank you for the auto-training feature. It's a lifesaver for lazy players like me. I won't longer throw games just because I don't feel like batching new units to be trained.

I wasn't closely following the development, so I missed that there was this much going on. I'm quite amazed, honestly.

38 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Many thanks to all the devs! Can confirm that A25 is readily available for Arch Linux now:

Interesting, I did

pacman -Suy on Manjaro

and I can't still see it there. Anyway, I use the swap version, so running

snap switch 0ad --channel=latest/beta

did the trick for me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Boudica said:

Interesting, I did

pacman -Suy on Manjaro

and I can't still see it there. Anyway, I use the swap version, so running

I used AUR, with an AUR helper yay. 

I think the Manjaro Pacman is a bit different to the one in pure Arch; I have noticed some packages that only exists in one of these. Manjaro packages are likely to be tested a lot more for stability. 

Anyways, both can use the AUR so pacman is not that important. 

Edited by Yekaterina
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just finished compiling and building. SpiderMonkey was a huge pain. I haven't tried playing yet but I already like the new Main Menu GUI. Quite a change from Alpha 23, I must say.

One question: has the WFG PPA been abandoned? Last uploads date back to December 2018.

Thank you so much and congratulations!:medieval:

16 minutes ago, KBar said:

I have just finished compiling and building. SpiderMonkey was a huge pain. I haven't tried playing yet but I already like the new Main Menu GUI. Quite a change from Alpha 23, I must say.

One question: has the WFG PPA been abandoned? Last uploads date back to December 2018.

Thank you so much and congratulations!:medieval:

We're still trying to get it to build with some Ubuntu rules, so far with no success.

Thank you!

• Thanks 2