Current climate change

45 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

In the Netherlands we have a nuclear plant as well. It is awful that it produces about 1 m^3 highly radioactive waste per year! Every year radioactive waste will be produced. If it would operate 1000 years, we would need to find a cube with sides of 10 meters to store it.

Not sure if you're trolling. https://www.nucleairnederland.nl/en/themes/waste/ :

Currently, around 110 m3 of such waste is stored at COVRA. That is equivalent to the contents of around one and a half sea containers. Every year, another 4.5 m3 is added. ...

In a stable underground layer of earth, for example clay, salt or granite, a specially designed repository is made to store the waste. ...

A decision about final disposal is expected to be taken in the Netherlands in around 2100. 

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Not sure if you're trolling. https://www.nucleairnederland.nl/en/themes/waste/ :

I would not blame you for accusing me of trolling, but I was serious about the 1 m^3. You found a source and the my numbers were a little off. In the linked article, we find infographic (part II - in dutch). The Netherlands produces 1100 m^3 LMRA (laag middel radioactief afval- low or medium radiactive waste), which is something that is created for medical isotopes, smoke detectors and other things. The production by the nuclear plant is 4.5 m^2 in the HRA (hoog radioactief afval-highly radiactive waste). So that means that it is 4.5 m^3 instead of 1 m^3. However the main bulk of radioactive waste is not highly radioactive and is not produced by nuclear plants.

It has to be said that the Netherlands only has a single fairly small nuclear plant. There have been some hypothetical suggestions to store nuclear waste in some underground locations called zoutholtes in the Dutch language(In Dutch we have a few words that can both have its plural being written differently, so the plural of zoutholte can be both zoutholtes and zoutholten).  I don't know the proper translation for that, but I think salt caverns could be accurate. I am referring to underground cavities that are the result of mining operations. Anyway, these underground locations are deep underground and also big enough to store a lot of stuff.

So I don't think storing the radioactive waste should be a problem and this world would also be rich with other places where it can be dumped. The only problem is the Not-in-my-backyard issue. Even if  location is safe, local residents could still be protesting against it.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
I tried to look for the proper translation and I must admit that the suggestion I made were not proper translations.
  • Like 1

Another horror story about a new nuclear plant: https://www.heise.de/tp/features/Atomland-Bangladesch-es-wird-ernst-6229253.html

It's about a plant in Ruppur/Bangladesh. Partly built with Chernobyl technology.

Besides all other horrible and horrifying facts in that article: the building costs have more than tripled (4bn USD > 12.65bn USD) so far (still two more years of construction), and electricity will be more than twice as expensive than solar power (7cents, 3cents).

Has there been any nuclear power plants in the recent years that actually stayed close to their projected costs? I only know of examples to the opposite, that's one reason why I don't trust anyone who says that nuclear power is oh so cheap.

Has there been any nuclear power plants in the recent years that actually stayed close to their projected costs?

Welcome to real world, every large project has this issue.

image.png.beee8b19da666c12f6c1b42122465781.png

image.png.6701f20d01dc02f909591b3a7216dc96.png

image.png.4ae9cd6edc5da85ac9b772932793c2d1.png

Partly built with Chernobyl technology.

Like what? Are you insinuating there are the same technological flaws?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooppur_Nuclear_Power_Plant

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

Welcome to real world, every large project has this issue.

I haven't heard about wind or solar projects being that far off. And I know that there are a lot of problems with dams.

54 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Like what? Are you insinuating there are the same technological flaws?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooppur_Nuclear_Power_Plant

I'm sorry, the Chernobyl references were actually about another nuclear plant built by the same partners, Kudankulam. That one already had a lot of incidents/accidents. Rosatom initially wanted to also use the same WWER 1000 series in Rooppur, now it's the 1200 line. I guess 1/5th more trust is in order, but 1/5th of zero still isn't much.

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Rosatom initially wanted to also use the same WWER 1000 series in Rooppur, now it's the 1200 line.

Nor the VVER 1000 or the VVER 1200 have the major flaw of RBMK reactors. RBMK were using graphite and lacked a containment building. The Chernobyl disaster was due to several major issues we never saw in any western plants and a particular context, that the people controlling the plant were unaware of the flaws.

Honestly bringing Chernobyl in the topic is terrible, this is simply a dull scarecrow.

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I haven't heard about wind or solar projects being that far off.

Which are generally.... small projects.

Hydroelectric dams, large solar farms, offshore wind turbines... every large project related to renewable suffer from the same issues as nuclear plants.

And renewable energy is cheap when it is a small part of the grid, but the larger it gets, the more expensive it becomes. It is hard to control, hard to distribute, hard to maintain. The network is much more complex.

On 28/10/2021 at 8:16 PM, Gurken Khan said:

I haven't heard about wind or solar projects being that far off. And I know that there are a lot of problems with dams.

In the Netherlands there are companies that build solar parks with goverment benefits. So these solar parks provide considerable energy during peak hours, but in off hours they produce nothing. Also the are putting the electricity network under stress and these issues of solar parks is getting a little out of hand as they are employed at larger scale. What those companies mainly do is just collecting a lot of goverment benefits. Also the production chain of solar panels is not the nicest thing ever.

So as Genava55 said, everything has its issues.

In the meantime, building a lot of solar parks and wind turbines seems cool, nobody in my country seems to be really advocating to use less energy. What about insulating homes? Oh yes, if you have the money for it you can do so. Yet we fail as a nation to insulate houses that are being rented or for those people on the bottom of the social ladder.

• Thanks 1

• Stan` locked this topic