What Makes Your Hometown Special?

Well my town is nice. It's got an international horse racing track, a really good pizza joint, and well.. I guess that's all you really need in a town :banana:.

Your descriptions have made me want to go to Europe. Ha, I should move there when I get older :yiepie:

Your descriptions have made me want to go to Europe.  Ha, I should move there when I get older :banana:

Well, i think living in America has his pros too. If we have so many entertaining places and the rest is only because we live very crowded, in the medium to small cities as well (in Italy, at least). This has his cons, of course. Generally speaking we enjoy much less nature than the medium US citizen does (not talking of those New Yorkers, or people from other big metropolis, of course). Even in the most untouched place you have to share the panorame with antropic settlements.

It can be fascinating, i admit, but it can be also depressing... ...but you'd be welcome if you care to pay us a visit!

:yiepie:

@Matteo, yeah I could have done that but I didn't. I remembered it because I once had to write something about Italo Svevo, so Joyce and Trieste are always involved when writing about him :banana:

@Eken,

Yeah culturally Europe is very interesting. But like Matteo said, if you want nature the US is a lot more interesting. We do have very beautiful regions here but it doesn't come close to what you have in the US.

Flanders for example is sometimes called one big city. Wherever you are, the next village is only 3 miles away and the next city around 15 miles. And next to that Flemings build there houses alongside the roads, so even if you're not in a village center you'll still see houses.

Hmm, yes. Well, there are 5 cities with more than 100.000 citiezens i think, though most of the big cities of USA has more citizens than whole Norway :banana:

Anyway, my homeplace is special first of all because its here i grew up, much memories. Also, its a small community, only like 100 citizens at this little place, so everybody knows eachother. I love that, and its a very safe environment to grow up.

If you came to visit me sometimes someone, you will get what i mean !! :yiepie:

So, what's special about Montreal?...

A LOT OF CULTURE AND CULTURES

We have indeed a lot of cultural structures and services. We have great museums, as well as great theaters. We produce a lot of music, movies, circus shows, litteratue, theatre and a lot more.

As for cultures, there indeed a lot of proud communities. As akya said, you can learn a lot of languages in Montreal. Only in my college, I'm sure I could have learn quite easily Arab, Vietnamese or Haitian if I wanted to. But there is indeed a lot more. Also, in Montreal, coexists, with difficulties, French and English (and not a lot of cities can do so...).

THE MOUNTAIN AND THE RIVER

In the middle of Montreal, we have La Montagne (The Mountain : Royal Mount), a huge hill that stand right in the middle of the city (it is all around it!). On the hill is built the famous Westmount, but also the two great Universities Montreal (french) and McGill (english). There is also the Oratoire Saint-Joseph, the biggest Catholic temple in America, second to Saint-Peters in Rome. Also, on it's east side is the Famous neighborhood Le Plateau, well described by Michel Tremblay.

But we also have Le Fleuve (The great River : St-Lawrence River), a one kilometer large river that flows east of Montreal, where it's port is built.We have an old port where are the bistros and cafés, but there are many all around the city.

NORTHWARDS

When you go northwards, after passing through the northern suburbs (where I live), you get to the Laurentian Mountains where you can ski in winter and golf and mountain-hick in summer. Souther, you'll get by Oka's beach, where one of the famous purely quebecer cheeze is produced, the Oka cheese. Or you can relax on a beach on the Two-Mountain Lake.

SOUTHWARDS

Down to the south, you pass by the South-Shore Brigdes, famous during rush hours, and you'll possibly see Terre des Hommes, where the greatest Universal Exposition ever was, Expo 67. South, you'll arrive on the great Montregian Plain, where there are Hills of the kind of The Royal Mount in Mtl. If you pass by March and April, you'll have Maple Syrup parties. If you do by August and September, you'll have Corn of Apple parties.

You'll also pass by the Patriote's Vale, where most of the Wars between the Patriots and the English Army faced each other in 1837-1838. You'll also see the Richelieu, being in the middle of that vale, great for summer activities.

(Yiuel :muaha:)

very very safe.. the women get shoot in the back by men with shotguns..

Well, it has had its problems.

In the last 3 months, there has been 2 gun shots in the area, 1 killed, and a woman who got shot by a shotgun, though she survived.

The reason i told everyone that my hometown is safe, is that i live 2 miles outside of that place, in a little village. This is what i call my homeplace, and there has been no shooting at any kind.

So i live safe :muaha::lol: