Alpha 25 - General Feedback

3 hours ago, maroder said:

afaik: yes, because Petra relies on having those resources, which is why she protects them even from ally's.

But I need that stuff too!

(I was a bit salty because I had no extra metal, there was none available in the free terrain, my nearest enemy's territory had no extra deposit; so I felt forced to research Diaspora and go to my ally and then find out I can't use the CC...)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 31/08/2021 at 11:31 AM, nwtour said:

String "%(unit)s can't be controlled.", patch on my local machine to fix missing translation (if I guessed the place of issue correctly):

-               "message": sprintf(markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."), {
-                       "unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()
-               }),
+               "message": markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."),
+               "parameters": {"unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()},
+               "translateParameters": ["unit"],

Снимок экрана от 2021-08-31 12-36-49.png

Commands.js starts with this:

// Setting this to true will display some warnings when commands
//	are likely to fail, which may be useful for debugging AIs
var g_DebugCommands = false;

Does this mean that the message I saw and which @nwtour kindly provided in the screenshot above, only appears if g_DebugCommands = true? It's set to false on my end, so I wonder why I saw this message at all.

@nwtour

Would you mind that I provide your patch in https://code.wildfiregames.com? See below (not full context):

/**
  * Sends a GUI notification about entities that can't be controlled.
  * @param {number} player - The player-ID of the player that needs to receive this message.
  */
 function notifyOrderFailure(entity, player)
 {
 	let cmpIdentity = Engine.QueryInterface(entity, IID_Identity);
 	if (!cmpIdentity)
 		return;

let cmpGUIInterface = Engine.QueryInterface(SYSTEM_ENTITY, IID_GuiInterface);
 	cmpGUIInterface.PushNotification({
 		"type": "text",
 		"players": [player],
-		"message": sprintf(markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."), {
-			"unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()
-		}),
+		"message": markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."),
+		"parameters": {"unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()},
+		"translateParameters": ["unit"],
 		"translateMessage": true
 	});
 }

Currently, I don't  know, though, how to test it. I would need to have a unit that cannot be controlled - for whatever reason. Thanks for sharing further thoughts from your end. :)

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Would you mind that I provide your patch in https://code.wildfiregames.com? See below (not full context):

Yes, sure. I wrote it for this.

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Currently, I don't  know, though, how to test it. I would need to have a unit that cannot be controlled - for whatever reason. Thanks for sharing further thoughts from your end.

Try comment 1786 line:

-        if (!canBeControlled)
+        //if (!canBeControlled)
                notifyOrderFailure(entity, player);

and all buildings will lose control...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

It's set to false on my end, so I wonder why I saw this message at all.

Debug messages look different. 
Most likely you are in a situation when the territory under your building is captured at the moment when the building is selected.
In the center, it is messages related to the game and not debugging that appear.

Снимок экрана от 2021-09-04 22-20-12.png

Снимок экрана от 2021-09-04 22-30-41.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the nice trick with commenting that line - works like a charm, i.e. the text is translated. :) And thanks as well for the explanation about the debug messages. Oh my, I learned so much today. :)

grafik.thumb.png.dac5a99c1ea9db57ea7b63f539f658a1.png

Edited by Ceres
Should be "nice trick" and not "nice try" - sorry
  • Like 1

PS:

How can I create the diff restricted to this patch, i.e. to the changes in '/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers/Commands.js'?

I don't want to include the previous changes in '/binaries/data/mods/mod/gui/modmod/modmod.xml'.

If I diff now, the patch includes both changes. Do I have to undo the other changes first, or is there another way?

Edited by Ceres

How do you guys revert other changes for a diff/patch? I did a manual wget <the other changed file> to revert it to its original state from SVN, but maybe there are easier solutions via SVN?

The patch is ready for review - credits go to @nwtour - thank you! :)

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4254

@nwtour

Is the greenbox in your screenshots just to focus readers to the most important content, or do you use it also for in-game testing, where background does not matter? How do you do this?

Edited by Ceres

Hm, I got this on Debian 11:

user@Debian:~/0ad$ svn revert --depth=infinity
svn: E205001: Versuchen Sie »svn help revert« für weitere Informationen
svn: E205001: Nicht genügend Parameter angegeben

(referring me to svn help revert and telling that not enough parameters have been provided)

Oops, it's because of the missing period (current root folder). This way, it works for me:

user@Debian:~/0ad$ svn revert -R .
Rückgängig gemacht: »binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers/Commands.js«

:)

Edited by Ceres

9 hours ago, Ceres said:

The patch is ready for review

Cool. Step by step and soon it will be possible to play without a TOEFL diploma :)

9 hours ago, Ceres said:

Is the greenbox in your screenshots just to focus readers to the most important content, or do you use it also for in-game testing, where background does not matter? How do you do this?

This is for performance and fast loads. Monotonous textures look ugly, but the smallest in size
1156706457_2021-09-0513-39-10.thumb.png.37d2896f06117d45335617aebea3f134.png

Снимок экрана от 2021-09-05 13-40-40.png

• Like 1

Very clever! :cool: Thank you! :) And no, we non-English native speakers should not need a TOEFL or aequivalents of. ;) I like the translation stuff of 0 A.D. and would be happy if that could be possible for the editor as well. But that's another story for another thread...

@Stan`

Is it possible in the forum to save single posts for later reference?

Edited by Ceres

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Very clever! :cool: Thank you! :) And no, we non-English native speakers should not need a TOEFL or aequivalents of. ;) I like the translation stuff of 0 A.D. and would be happy if that could be possible for the editor as well. But that's another story for another thread...

@Stan`

Is it possible in the forum to save single posts for later reference?

I suppose you can bookmark the link it gives you when you try to share said post ?

• Like 1

0ad-flashaha.jpg.b6d00bdc24965984769dbbf71f5c84f6.jpg

Don't know what's happening, but at the marked area flashes emanate that sometimes go over the whole screen.

Edit: the units must be selected to see the effect. Guess sth with the ridge.

It happened again that after uploading the save it was unreadable for the game. (I then have to dl the save and overwrite my local save...)

savegame-0225.0adsave

Edited by Gurken Khan

• 1 month later...

I don't know who screwed up what, but Wild Lake in a25 just sucks.

Is anybody actually enjoying the 'feature' that you can't build anything around your CC?

With the India biome it was so terrible that I abandoned the game. With the Agean-Anatolian biome I hoped it would be better, but it still is terrible. Not only is it still a pain in the averywhere to build anything, but it also somehow breaks the AI.

0ad-a25wildlakesucks.jpg.c12dcde334a2bc2397b7d9de5322a47d.jpg

Repeatedly I had workers like this one neither being idle nor clearing the terrain but just standing around. THE HECK??!?

(Wild Lake never was nor is balanced, just given the distribution of treasures and Gaia units.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Is anybody actually enjoying the 'feature' that you can't build anything around your CC?

I just tried Wild Lake, and it's hilariously messed up. I can say that the new biome work didn't touch the random map scripts, at least on my end. There really needs to be a function in the scripts that puts a "civic space" around the starting CC with no resources or trees inside this area. I've crowed for years now that the random map scripts need to do this, it's just extra pronounced on Wild Lake, but it really also applies to all of the others too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...