Alpha 25 - General Feedback

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

I cannot find the message "Civic Center can't be controlled." under any of the 2 links. What am I missing?

String "%(unit)s can't be controlled.", patch on my local machine to fix missing translation (if I guessed the place of issue correctly):

-               "message": sprintf(markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."), {
-                       "unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()
-               }),
+               "message": markForTranslation("%(unit)s can't be controlled."),
+               "parameters": {"unit": cmpIdentity.GetGenericName()},
+               "translateParameters": ["unit"],

Снимок экрана от 2021-08-31 12-36-49.png

Edited by nwtour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2021 at 10:49 PM, Gurken Khan said:

Crash while trying to save in the dialogue. All saves were deleted after my last report. Load & save possible after restart

Maybe fix the minidump recording?

crashlog.txt:
errno = 13 (Insufficient access rights to open file)
OS error = -2147024865 (Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gerät funktioniert nicht.)

I see a comment in code like this:

// a dump file is essential for debugging, so write it before
        // anything else goes wrong (especially before showing the error
        // dialog because the user could choose to exit immediately)
        wdbg_sym_WriteMinidump(ep);

Perhaps a service exception is triggered and already on the minidump record it finally crashes...
Try remove empty file crashlog.dmp in directory

Edited by nwtour
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nwtour said:

Maybe fix the minidump recording?
Perhaps a service exception is triggered and already on the minidump record it finally crashes

Was that addressed at me or the devs? Because I wouldn't have an idea what to do.

I also have no idea what that os error regarding a device wants to tell me.

17 hours ago, Angen said:

Sorry, no idea, maybe something locked 0ad files

You mean like antivir? I believe I have whitelisted everything 0ad. In earlier versions I rarely had an error massage when trying to save, but the game didn't crash instantaneously.

6 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Was that addressed at me or the devs? Because I wouldn't have an idea what to do.

I also have no idea what that os error regarding a device wants to tell me.

The error says that the game does not have permission to write the file crashlog.dmp (in directory "logs")
It may be worth trying to remove it - in its current state it will reproduce the error

Edited by nwtour
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nwtour said:

The error says that the game does not have permission to write the file crashlog.dmp (in directory "logs")
It may be worth trying to remove it - in its current state it will reproduce the error

I removed it. The game will generate a new dump when there's a crash?

When I whitelist a directory like \0ad\* in my antivir, sub-directories like \0ad\logs\ will be whitelisted too, right? Obviously the game can write in that directory.

40 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

The game will generate a new dump when there's a crash?

Yes. Saturday at 05:44 dump was created successfully

Perhaps deleting this file will fix the problem - but I cannot guarantee B)

47 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

When I whitelist a directory like \0ad\* in my antivir, sub-directories like \0ad\logs\ will be whitelisted too, right?

Perhaps your antivirus is now blocking the system function MiniDumpWriteDump(). If the game continues to create empty crashlog.dmp on crash - you need to somehow tell the antivirus that the whole process pyrogenesys.exe is not a virus.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, nwtour said:

If the game continues to create empty crashlog.dmp on crash - you need to somehow tell the antivirus that the whole process pyrogenesys.exe is not a virus.

I thought I did:

0adwhitelistd.jpg.ff24b72ebd9eb3283b8a998e914ba1ab.jpg

(My whitelist (detail)) I had the problem that the game could write saves but not replays (they're different somehow), these whitelistings corrected that. Don't know what else I could add there.

You could dare deactivating AntiVir temporarily and would still have Microsoft's Windows security system in place. If you still have concerns, you might think about using Windows' sandbox, a temporary environment, where you can even deactivate the network. Search the internet for details if this could be an option for you to further test 0 A.D. without AntiVir. I'm not sure, though, whether the antivirus program is the culprit at all (but likely).

Does anybody know a tool (e.g. NirSoft, SysInternals?) that shows the user by which other program a folder or directory is locked? Maybe this would help in this case.

@CeresYeah, thx, but deactivating antivir is not really an option for me. If just because I listen to online music while playing and being connected to the inet without antivir doesn't feel like a good idea to me.

And in my naive state of mind I wouldn't expect neither 0ad nor my antivir to show such an erratic behavior that sometimes sht happens and sometimes it don't. :)

22 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It seems bigger than the example though. And it has to work for random maps as well.

The challenge here is to keep a balance between organic rock formations and full fledged carries with tools and whatnot.

Well, I was just throwing together stuff that's already in the game.

Otherwise I see a couple of solutions:

1. Create a new set of "small" stone mines and a separate new set of "small" metal mines with an eye to making the sets look distinct.
  2. Get rid of sprinkling small mines all over the map in favor of using the larger, easier to distinguish, ones instead, just fewer of them.