Alpha 25 - General Feedback

My observations so far

• Better looking graphics, especially many of the new tree models are really nice, also i like the 3-d grass a lot. I think though, that metal/stone is harder to distinguish with updated textures.
  • Melee units (inf and cav) seem very strong, especially pikeman, skiritai and sowrd cav, while archer units barely do any damage. Ofcourse archers needed to be nerfed compared to last Alpha, but they got nerfed a bit too much.
  • Updated pathfinder improves gameplay a lot. Also big armys with siege  manage to navigate relatively smoothly through narrow passages between houses
  • The gameplay is more fast overall, encouraging agressive play, early fights, which is making the game more intense, that is a good thing in my opinion
  • Champions seem to be viable option to go for, especially in 1v1 or 2v2 games ( also in a24 possible), but i cant find p2 champs ( which i liked in previous versions)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:
  • Melee units (inf and cav) seem very strong, especially pikeman, skiritai and sowrd cav, while archer units barely do any damage. Ofcourse archers needed to be nerfed compared to last Alpha, but they got nerfed a bit too much.

Archer damage wasn't changed. The accuracy wasn't nerfed much either. Archers were vulnerable in a24 but other factors like slow train times, slow movement speed, and op defensive structures made archers seem better than they actually were in open fights. Archers will win in lots of range only fights, but if melee ever gets to them they will be shredded. The key will be making diverse armies to take adv of higher dps range units while still being able to use melee to cut through range units' weak armour. 

2 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

i cant find p2 champs ( which i liked in previous versions)

I agree. These should be at least (partially) coming back in a26. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Officially they aren't but inofficially they are: They cant work and they cost roughly as much as a champ. They are also as strong as champs.

I like the Macedonian cav more than the Seleucid one, because the latter doesnt have melee cav which can gather. So maybe the Macedonians should not be changed for the sake of diversity...

34 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well if you want to make new textures.  I thought the yellow veins were enough. @wowgetoffyourcellphone thoughts ?

The "yellow vein" texture is OK. There's no need to change it. Problem is that not all metal deposits use it. Some of them uses a model/texture that is too similar to the one used for stone deposits.

I'll take some screenshots when I have some time.

Edited by Sebastián Gómez
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well if you want to make new textures.  I thought the yellow veins were enough. @wowgetoffyourcellphone thoughts ?

What we need, IMHO, are new stone mine models. The main issue (I think) is the temperate stone mine we're using next to the starting CC. It looks a lot like the metal mine, especially with graphics turned down low (the spec and normal maps disabled on the metal mines make them lose their luster). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

The description for the Nubia biome states that 'only the hardy Baobab trees thrive', while there's also plenty of Date Palms. Or are they just there but don't 'thrive'? ;)

Yeah, the description can easily be changed. Plus Baobabs would be generally rare compared to palms, acacias, and other hardy trees and shrubs. 

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What we need, IMHO, are new stone mine models. The main issue (I think) is the temperate stone mine we're using next to the starting CC. It looks a lot like the metal mine, especially with graphics turned down low (the spec and normal maps disabled on the metal mines make them lose their luster). 

Didn't we add new ones I saw new metal and new stone models ?

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Didn't we add new ones I saw new metal and new stone models ?

Probably just need to adjust the actors to not use the same models as the new metal mines. (reserve these models for the metal mines only)

image.png.a382c5666c5b9de820ccc87626757179.png

Also, I hate the naming scheme introduced by A24, but that's a different matter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I just looked at wikipedia, apparently palms are not considered trees. Should I change my complaint to mislabeling

You can probably build a house out of palm "trees" so I think we can call them trees non-scientifically.

idea: date palm food source changes into date palm wood source once all berries are eaten. 

• Like 1