Make 0ad a better game with 8 small changes.

Hi guys. please read the post and give good feedback! I Hope devs will read your feedbacks and select the best choice.

1-      add a active mod for lobby not a mod that only his account is present.

2-      Add private message and ignore options for lobby.

3-      Add email varification option for making account . Currently many  players are spaming smurf accounts and its very annoying. Also with a email a player able to reset his password in case of forgetting it.

4-      Make macdonates a better civ. Have you ask yourself why don’t people spam macs’ cav cham? And why they and the hero that give bonus to them are kindda useless? The answer is because jav cavs need metal! Its hard for players to spam jav cavs and cham cavs at same time then a player would never do such thing. If devs give normal jav cavs (100 food 50 wood )to macs then people can easily use mac cavs for fighting and use cav chams and their hero as well.

5-      Any civ has fast antirams but macs. why swordmen of macs are chams? They should be merc. Then players can make fast antirams.

6-      Mercs are very imbalanced. But why? Because they don’t need wood. In maps with low wood, civs that can spam mercs will rule! Fix this problem by decreasing metal and adding wood to them.

7-      lets mercs work but with lower gathering rate (something like skiri). It lets peope spam mercs in phase two.

8-      Do you know why people often hate playing noval maps? Because ships are annoying. People spam strong cheap ships and kill troops easily with strong arrows of ship. Especialy when you have to make eco near beach ships can be more annoying. I think ships should not able to attack people same as real life. Ships just atatck ships its all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king reza the great said:

4-      Make macdonates a better civ. Have you ask yourself why don’t people spam macs’ cav cham? And why they and the hero that give bonus to them are kindda useless? The answer is because jav cavs need metal! Its hard for players to spam jav cavs and cham cavs at same time then a player would never do such thing. If devs give normal jav cavs (100 food 50 wood )to macs then people can easily use mac cavs for fighting and use cav chams and their hero as well.

5-      Any civ has fast antirams but macs. why swordmen of macs are chams? They should be merc. Then players can make fast antirams.

I agree with your fith point but your forth leaves much to be desired, if they give mac citizen jav cav then the mercs will be forever ignored,they could make cav easier to use but nah, that will just lead to endless balance tweaks and discussions.( and devs hate spear cav ehehe)

ps: your sixth and seventh points are bonkers mate. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, king reza the great said:

add a active mod for lobby not a mod that only his account is present.

Might cause OOS error if mods are different. In your mod a swordsman might have 15 hack but a vanilla swordsman have 9 hack. There will be errors if your game state is different to the host game state. This is only applicable for gui mods and art mods, not mods that introduce new civ or changes stats. 

Add private message and ignore options for lobby.

I really like this, and I want it as well. I am not sure how to program the lobby though. 

Add email varification option for making account . Currently many  players are spaming smurf accounts and its very annoying. Also with a email a player able to reset his password in case of forgetting it.

I like this but some players think that violates their privacy. A difficult one. Also you can spam emails as well. I have 6 email accounts ;) 

Yes! I would love a stronger Macedon. But curently you can spam spear cavalry and let them fight alongside your champion cavalry and train Phillip II hero as well. The cheaper spear cavalry can be used as meatshields and let the champs do the real damage.  

A good suggestion. Maybe Macedonians could be given infantry spearmen instead, but I need to consult the historians about this. However I can do just fine with pikes and spear cavalry...

Mercs are very imbalanced. But why? Because they don’t need wood. In maps with low wood, civs that can spam mercs will rule! Fix this problem by decreasing metal and adding wood to them.

hmmmm in A25 metal cost is less of an issue. Mercenaries costing wood...that makes them too similar to citizen units. But I think instant-train mercenaries would be a good idea. Fix the maps and not the unit? Just play on autumn Mainland or desert mainland or Meditarranean Mainland instead of some nub map with nub biome. 

lets mercs work but with lower gathering rate (something like skiri). It lets peope spam mercs in phase two.

I like this. Mercs are too useless right now. 

Do you know why people often hate playing noval maps? Because ships are annoying. People spam strong cheap ships and kill troops easily with strong arrows of ship. Especialy when you have to make eco near beach ships can be more annoying. I think ships should not able to attack people same as real life. Ships just atatck ships its all.

I can see where you are coming from. What do you think about ships attacking buildings and land archers shooting ships? Perhaps we give ships a negative bonus against units so ships cannot kill units that easily but still attacks everything. 

1 hour ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

if they give mac citizen jav cav then the mercs will be forever ignored

True point. The troop diversity of Macedon depends on mercs but they are used very rarely to my knowledge. I only employ their archers in extreme circumstances where I need to outrange other players. I have never used their javelin cav, because of its price. 

1 hour ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

and devs hate spear cav ehehe

Explain what you mean?

5 hours ago, king reza the great said:

Any civ has fast antirams but macs. why swordmen of macs are chams? They should be merc. Then players can make fast antirams.

champ anitram is cheaper than mercenary antiram in a24 currently

5 hours ago, king reza the great said:

Fix this problem by decreasing metal and adding wood to them.

My proposal would be to detract some metal and add some to either stone wood or food depending on the unit. Also, making them rank three would put them in-line with skiritai, which are a powerful, but well-rounded unit.

12 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Might cause OOS error if mods are different. In your mod a swordsman might have 15 hack but a vanilla swordsman have 9 hack. There will be errors if your game state is different to the host game state. This is only applicable for gui mods and art mods, not mods that introduce new civ or changes stats. 

I really like this, and I want it as well. I am not sure how to program the lobby though. 

I like this but some players think that violates their privacy. A difficult one. Also you can spam emails as well. I have 6 email accounts ;) 

its hard to spam email also its boring too. then i think it helps decreasing number of smurfs and alts.

Yes! I would love a stronger Macedon. But curently you can spam spear cavalry and let them fight alongside your champion cavalry and train Phillip II hero as well. The cheaper spear cavalry can be used as meatshields and let the champs do the real damage.  

A good suggestion. Maybe Macedonians could be given infantry spearmen instead, but I need to consult the historians about this. However I can do just fine with pikes and spear cavalry...

spearmen are not as fast as swordmen for being antirams

hmmmm in A25 metal cost is less of an issue. Mercenaries costing wood...that makes them too similar to citizen units. But I think instant-train mercenaries would be a good idea. Fix the maps and not the unit? Just play on autumn Mainland or desert mainland or Meditarranean Mainland instead of some nub map with nub biome. 

I like this. Mercs are too useless right now. 

I can see where you are coming from. What do you think about ships attacking buildings and land archers shooting ships? Perhaps we give ships a negative bonus against units so ships cannot kill units that easily but still attacks everything. 

its great idea we can also think about ranged units in ship that shoot units

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

champ anitram is cheaper than mercenary antiram in a24 currently

the problem is that u need to wait for p3 then u need to unlock chams. it takes long time. but u can make mercs in p2 easily.

My proposal would be to detract some metal and add some to either stone wood or food depending on the unit. Also, making them rank three would put them in-line with skiritai, which are a powerful, but well-rounded unit.

no need to make them rank 3. just slow workers.

33 minutes ago, king reza the great said:

spearmen are not as fast as swordmen for being antirams

in A25 you can have overlapping spearmen surrounding a ram which is very very good anti-ram, I assure you. The same applies for pikes; you can stack 3 layers of pikes together and let them poke a ram. The ram disappears almost instantly. Swords can't stack as easily because their range is 2 metres only. 

33 minutes ago, king reza the great said:

no need to make them rank 3. just slow workers.

I like this idea. Slow working speed simulates mutinies and laziness of mercs. 

• Like 2

What should mercenaries cost? 

I am of the opinion that the pure metal cost is not beneifical to gameplay. I feel the 60 metal cost could be acceptable if the mercs were rank 3. The main thing that makes the 60 metal cost so big compared to champions cost/worth is that all players enter p3 with an existing food/wood economy that can pay for the high food and wood cost of champions. So as soon as you can afford the 60-80 metal of mercenaries, you can also afford the 20-40 more metal for vastly more powerful champions.

I think mercenaries should cost overall 10-20% less than skiritai commandos, with price adjustments depending on if the unit is cavalry, sword, sling, or whatever. This seems appropriate to me because they will still cost plenty of metal, but will be economically feasible and powerful enough to justify their purchase, unlike in a24 and perhaps a25.

In a25 as I have seen it so far it may be possible to have a large metal mining rate, and buy a moderate amount of mercenaries, while slowing down food and wood to buy less citizen units. However, only ptol are capable of this since they have the hero that gives -35% metal cost to mercenaries which is a problem itself.

14 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

What should mercenaries cost? 

I am of the opinion that the pure metal cost is not beneifical to gameplay. I feel the 60 metal cost could be acceptable if the mercs were rank 3. The main thing that makes the 60 metal cost so big compared to champions cost/worth is that all players enter p3 with an existing food/wood economy that can pay for the high food and wood cost of champions. So as soon as you can afford the 60-80 metal of mercenaries, you can also afford the 20-40 more metal for vastly more powerful champions.

I think mercenaries should cost overall 10-20% less than skiritai commandos, with price adjustments depending on if the unit is cavalry, sword, sling, or whatever. This seems appropriate to me because they will still cost plenty of metal, but will be economically feasible and powerful enough to justify their purchase, unlike in a24 and perhaps a25.

In a25 as I have seen it so far it may be possible to have a large metal mining rate, and buy a moderate amount of mercenaries, while slowing down food and wood to buy less citizen units. However, only ptol are capable of this since they have the hero that gives -35% metal cost to mercenaries which is a problem itself.

i prefer merc of a23

6 hours ago, king reza the great said:

i prefer merc of a23

Yea, in a23 their cost/power relationship was not very distinct from CS, but still balanced so they were usable.

I feel mercs should either be rank three and cost roughly the same as skiri or be rank 2 and have same cost from a23. I also would support some way to train mercenaries in p1, since this would allow some rush options that are not also economic, and add nuance to the usage of the starting metal (do you want mercs, or eco upgrades?).

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Thanks 1