How about lowering rating of people who dont play anymore/dont play rated anymore?

vinme

this seems reasonable so rest of us can more clearly see our level on the leaderboard.

started this thread because like half the people above me dont play anymore or dont play rated anymore.

maybe there should be a quota of X amount of games per month that a player must play rated or otherwise remove "y" amount of rank.

• Like 4

this comes up very often. Then people start to discuss how and when this rating adjustment should be done, and no agreement is reached. Still, most players agree some adjustment should be done.

I suggest we collect a number of proposals and we make a poll.

• Like 1

Maybe I am going of point, but I had a different idea for ratings for players on the other side of the spectrum.

My suggestion: If a player under 1250 completes a game, his rating gets increased by 1 point regardless of whether it was a rated game. I think it would not hurt too much as people will probably learn from each game and after 50 games you are probably better than before. This would solve the issue with all the 1200 rated players and new players can easier distinguish between real noobs and those who did not play rated games.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Another idea: we can set up a council of ratings judge on the forum. Players who are unhappy with their rating can submit their replays and let the judges decide their skill level. Players who think others are smurfing can also submit such evidences and the Smurf's rating would be adjusted accordingly.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Since it seems to be a leaderboard issue: I don't think people who don't play (rated) anymore should stay at the top forever. I would handle it more like other world rankings (eg tennis), where if you don't earn points you move down. I think it's also justified by the change of versions, or people could become rusty (or deteriorate biologically/die).

I would take a simple approach: at the end of each inactive calendrical month -50 pts. So a month of inactivity wouldn't be too bad, but a year of inactivity certainly would get you closer to the bottom.

Since I only do SP I'm totally impartial. :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Resetting rating is definitely a good idea, as some players quit simply because they don't like the new Alpha. For these people no need to keep  them at the top of the leaderboard. 

The main purpose of rating is for balancing. If your rating cannot reflect your theoretical performance in a game then it is quite pointless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Resetting rating is definitely a good idea, as some players quit simply because they don't like the new Alpha. For these people no need to keep  them at the top of the leaderboard. 

The main purpose of rating is for balancing. If your rating cannot reflect your theoretical performance in a game then it is quite pointless. 

With all due respect, that reasoning doesn't sound coherent and even contradictory to me.

Sure, people who quit don't need to be kept around; but there can be a lot of reasons why people are temporarily inactive. But if one understands how to boom, has a solid understanding of strategies and tactics and can do ~100 clicks/second, the rating one acquired with previous alphas will be a better indicator of how someone will do in the game than just giving them a noob rating just because the version number changed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

-50 per inactive month should do it. It's simple, easy to understand, and incentivizes activity.

I think this already happens naturally. ELO inflation is a thing. When I started to play three alpha versions ago, the second on the leaderboard was 1800 something.

I don't know the exact rate.

11 hours ago, smiley said:

I think this already happens naturally. ELO inflation is a thing.

I don't think it happens naturally, as the only player in the top 20 gaining points is Dakeyras and that is because I lost 3 matches against him.

Also I agree with Gurken Khan and have little to add to his explaination.

15 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

With all due respect, that reasoning doesn't sound coherent and even contradictory to me.

Sure, people who quit don't need to be kept around; but there can be a lot of reasons why people are temporarily inactive. But if one understands how to boom, has a solid understanding of strategies and tactics and can do ~100 clicks/second, the rating one acquired with previous alphas will be a better indicator of how someone will do in the game than just giving them a noob rating just because the version number changed.

Imagine that with a new alpha all ratings reset. Then all players above 1600 will be 1200 and it would take several weeks before their ratings become faithful again. I think the idea should be to make the ratings faithful.

• Like 1

Why not simply use a well established rating system, like ELO, or Glicko? There are plenty of sports out there that use them regularly. I think what @Player of 0ADsaid pretty much sums it up.

On 24/07/2021 at 1:26 PM, Player of 0AD said:

- don't decrease rating, because playing no rated games doesnt mean that the skill decreases
- if a player doesnt play rated, increase the uncertainty of his rating
- if the uncertainty is too high, mark the player rating with a question mark and remove him from the leaderbord

That is how it works, at least in online chess, which I play a lot, if you stop playing rated your rating will fluctuate more when you next play, also this is the case when new players start until their rating is adjusted to their level, with each game played the uncertainty decreases.

As asides, a system like in tennis of "defending" points as I saw mentioned above doesn't really fit here, in my opinion, as we don't have regular, fixed calendar events. Also, I don't think we should care about possible "inflation", it doesn't matter if the lowest rated used to be 1250 and now it is 1000 or whatever, what matters is that the difference between a good player and a not so good one will show in their rating difference, after all this is not a professional competitive game (although people can be very competitive even when no stakes are on and that is ok) and I also think the relatively small pool of player is to be blamed a bit as it makes harder for ratings to stabilize overall.

Finally, I also agree with @LetswaveaBook that rating shouldn't be reset between alphas for the reason he just exposed, players that know best the underlying mechanics will inevitably crop up to the top.

Hello,

I think reset the elo it useless because we don't have a really a competive system but we can make something for stimulate people to play more game 1 vs 1 rated.

All know ranking system entice people play more often. Clean the ladder all alpha can be good. About 50% of people are inactive for the moment, It is not a question of punishing them, to identify their level on their return it could be good to enter on their profile their old rating, as a achievement.

2 ideas :

Soft reset. 

All player > 1600 reset to 1600 (About 200 players ? )

Inactive leader will be at 1600 so the 100 best active player will be take their place and inactive good people will be 1600 so it ok. 

All player > 1400 reset to 1400

All player > 1201 reset to 1201

All player <1200 or unrank to unrank

Why not in the profil pin up the elo before the reset (just for know approximative level and if this people are old or new player)

Reduce the gain of point againt < 1200 or beginner (how do it??). With 3 wins we can rush 1400 rating. 

New system

Add to ranking system, a grade system with a limited number people by grade. This will create competition for a better rank. All season all reset to 1200 rating. With a new profil system we can identity good player even with reset rating.

Just for example, just random idea of name. 

Emperor : 1 spot

King : 5 spot

Lord : 15 spot

TTTTT : 50 spot

XXXXX :125 spot

YYYYY :200 spot

IIIIIIIIII : 500 spot

Soldat : 800 spot

All ending alpha, we pip up in profil the rank :

A26 : Lord

A27:  King 

A28 : Lord 

In the future we could imagine a logo accompanying the rank in current alpha. 

A soft reset

Pourquoi carrement pas supprimer ce système de cote en le remplaca

Edited by Dakara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aoidos said:

Why not simply use a well established rating system, like ELO, or Glicko? There are plenty of sports out there that use them regularly. I think what @Player of 0ADsaid pretty much sums it up.

That is how it works, at least in online chess, which I play a lot, if you stop playing rated your rating will fluctuate more when you next play, also this is the case when new players start until their rating is adjusted to their level, with each game played the uncertainty decreases.

As asides, a system like in tennis of "defending" points as I saw mentioned above doesn't really fit here, in my opinion, as we don't have regular, fixed calendar events. Also, I don't think we should care about possible "inflation", it doesn't matter if the lowest rated used to be 1250 and now it is 1000 or whatever, what matters is that the difference between a good player and a not so good one will show in their rating difference, after all this is not a professional competitive game (although people can be very competitive even when no stakes are on and that is ok) and I also think the relatively small pool of player is to be blamed a bit as it makes harder for ratings to stabilize overall.

Finally, I also agree with @LetswaveaBook that rating shouldn't be reset between alphas for the reason he just exposed, players that know best the underlying mechanics will inevitably crop up to the top.

I think the rating system is some kind of ELO rating.