Is it just me or is soccer pretty small in USA?

Considering I'm from Europe, I know how big soccer is :) It's a nice sport, Americans know nothing about it and have never experianced the excitement from the World Cup or any of that. And yes you're right, soccer is the underdog sport here, it's played but not taken seriously. America's sport has always been [american] football, it too is a good sport and alot of Europeans don't give it much justice, just like with Americans and soccer), It's a very strategic sport, infact it has more strategy in it than Soccer, yet to most europeans it just looks like a bunch of people with shoulder pads and helmets knocking into eachother until they all fall down :P

The problem with Soccer in America is #1 Lack of enthusiasm, and #2, it's a girls sport :P Well, atleast here it is. It started when alot of people would send their girls to play soccer when they're little, well that eventually grew into women taking soccer seriously as their sport. So those're the main reasons really, there are many more small ones.

By the way, most Americans hate baseball now, it's a borring sport :(. Basketball isn't viewed as a "national sport" either, the reason it's popular is because it's easy and fun to play in the streets and is also a fun sport to watch.

Personally I find I can't stand to watch American football and the NFL after growing up with Canadian football and the CFL. American football is just too dull and slow.

Soccer is fairly popular up here and you won't find too many people referring to it as a girl’s sport. Though it isn’t nearly as popular as hockey.

Wait for another 10 years, it's on the rise.

1994 - US World Cup

The American team does well enough. A few of their players, namely Wynalda and Lalas, build up a bit of a name in Europe.

1998 - France World Cup

Uh, step back. They disappointed me.

2002 - Korea/Japan World Cup

1/4 Finals. Lost to Germany. Very good performance. More and more American players get to play in European leagues. Watch out for Landon Donovan, he's going to be very good.

So yeah, it's on the rise, I hope.