Setting up the building environment under Windows 10

16 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

@CeresJust seeing the previews of your posts on the forum's start page brought me to never consider trying it myself... It's a shame that nobody seems to be around who can help you with that.

Yes, it gave me hard times but that's the only way to learn it, I guess. Lots of experts are on vacation or have other more important stuff to do, so I really don't blame anybody except for myself for lack of experience. ;)

@Yekaterina
Thank you so much, this is certainly very helpful. :) Let me look into this a bit later. As promised - if I got all puzzle pieces together, I will update the Wiki with additional information.

Still, I find it not nice that old Windows stuff like the Win 7 SDK seems to be needed. Who knows what installing that old crap (please forgive me for this language) does to the whole Win 10 system? Hopefully, there won't be any undesired side effects.

You mentioned VS 2019. That's also fine for me, i.e. I would even prefer to use that latest version (now that even 21/22? is around the corner). However, I understood that with VS 2019 there are some other obstacles to overcome.

From your point of view, which one is easier or makes more sense: VS 2017 or 2019?

@Yekaterina

From your earlier post I understand that it's possible. The Wiki, though, suggests to use VS 2017. Do you know why?

I would like to use VS 2019. There is no "optional" tab, and I am still not sure, which packages (optional or not) are necessary. Is it maybe better to go to the "Workloads" tab and select a complete workload from there first (and then additional stuff that's needed)? Sorry that I have so many questions. :blush:

PS: Do you (or anybody else) use the integration of git (or svn?) of VS?

Edited by Ceres

Currently, I don't understand whether I have to install a whole "Workload" in VS, or if it's sufficient to select individual components. Of the latter, I just have "Windows Universal CRT SDK" and "C++-Windows XP-Unterstützung für Tools in VS 2017 (v141) [veraltet]", but that's certainly not all I need, right?

Sorry about the German. Despite I selected the English and deselected the German language, the VS installer is still in German.

26 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Currently, I don't understand whether I have to install a whole "Workload" in VS, or if it's sufficient to select individual components. Of the latter, I just have "Windows Universal CRT SDK" and "C++-Windows XP-Unterstützung für Tools in VS 2017 (v141) [veraltet]", but that's certainly not all I need, right?

Sorry about the German. Despite I selected the English and deselected the German language, the VS installer is still in German.

You have to install a workload and the external components. Workloads contains a bunch of generic tools, and the game requires some more stuff namingly the XP toolset. You can however use the normal toolset if it's for your personal use. The reason we recommend it is because the behavior might be slightly different with the normal toolset.

2 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Has anybody of you ever used the "Clone a repository" or similar function for SVN from within VS?

As far as I know it only works with Git.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ceres said:

Still, I find it not nice that old Windows stuff like the Win 7 SDK seems to be needed. Who knows what installing that old crap (please forgive me for this language) does to the whole Win 10 system? Hopefully, there won't be any undesired side effects.

It takes up disk space. No other side effects. 

3 hours ago, Ceres said:

From your point of view, which one is easier or makes more sense: VS 2017 or 2019?

For me, I would choose VS2019. It has a more complete and up-to-date set of tools available. Also it is still supported by microsoft and not 'outdated'.

The process was easier on VS2019 than VS2017. VS2019 takes slightly shorter time to build as well, I suppose it is better optimised. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

From your earlier post I understand that it's possible. The Wiki, though, suggests to use VS 2017. Do you know why?

I would like to use VS 2019. There is no "optional" tab, and I am still not sure, which packages (optional or not) are necessary. Is it maybe better to go to the "Workloads" tab and select a complete workload from there first (and then additional stuff that's needed)? Sorry that I have so many questions. :blush:

As Angen said, VS2017 runtime is needed to compile the game. However, this is available in VS2019 and there is no optional tab because everything that you want to install is listed under one section. They no longer categorise something as 'optional', you just search and tick all of the things you want to install, separately. 

The advantages of this approach is there are no hidden options and you have full control over what is being installed. 

The disadvantage is you need to think about a list of things you want to install and then search them up one by one. This is not a problem for 0ad because the wiki tells you the things you need. 

However, this made it easier for me to find and tick the XP components. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

I installed the whole workload and it worked smoothly. The only issue is the hard disk space it takes....

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Has anybody of you ever used the "Clone a repository" or similar function for SVN from within VS?

I haven't. I recommend just installing command line tools using tortoisesvn then using powershell to svn co.

• Thanks 1

I have only one workload installed (by default) - see right side of screenshot:

grafik.png.f8511eb87b319658774555eb5f2f52e8.png

Additionally, the XP-related stuff, which in the end turns out to be these in total:

grafik.png.251a5a02b40db7bbce03cd3116b82ab8.png

(again, sorry that I cannot change this to English - without changing my whole Windows 10 to English)

And now, the Platform Toolset correctly shows up in VS 2019 as "Visual Studio 2017 - Windows XP (v141_xp), which is nice. However, the Windows SDK Version is still 7.0 and there is no 10.0 to select, despite I have installed the Windows 10 SDK (10.0.19041.0) - see above screenshot.

grafik.png.4a38229fc7ca2ded5796bb86a0ba5ef7.png

• 1 year later...