Forum changes

Gurken Khan

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

X2

What means?

@Stan`

What does what mean?

And yeah, any new changes are most likely due to the forum software being upgraded. I'm sure they can be adapted, but the more changes = the more work to make sure it works as intended when that area of the software is changed in another upgrade. If you have specific things you want to see changed and suggestions for how to change them I'm sure we can look into it. I'm not really around much, so I don't know what things have changed. I do notice the rocket symbol you mention, and I think that could probably benefit from being changed. If someone wants to create either one or more symbols to replace it, then please ask for feedback here. It needs to be square, and should work at relatively small sizes, so not be too complicated. If multiple there should be 14 different ones if we continue to have the same/same amount of ranks as we have now. It shouldn't be too big of a deal, just a fun incentive to keep posting, but I can agree that having something modern like a rocket feels a bit out of place. Maybe it could be replaced by a spearhead or something?

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

What is that rocket?

Ok, I guess I thought it was obvious, so I wondered if you meant something else. The rocket symbol itself is a placeholder, but if you mouseover it you see that it displays what "rank" the person has, and actually how many ranks there are in total, which I don't believe were visible before. Ranks are based on the number of posts and replies a person has posted (currently at least, there is the possibility to add more things that contribute). I think before it just said the name of the rank? (I'm sure there was/could have been images as well, we did use to have images a long time ago at least, but I can't remember if we have had any for a while due to updates to the forum software.)

2 minutes ago, feneur said:

Ok, I guess I thought it was obvious, so I wondered if you meant something else. The rocket symbol itself is a placeholder, but if you mouseover it you see that it displays what "rank" the person has, and actually how many ranks there are in total, which I don't believe were visible before. Ranks are based on the number of posts and replies a person has posted (currently at least, there is the possibility to add more things that contribute). I think before it just said the name of the rank? (I'm sure there was/could have been images as well, we did use to have images a long time ago at least, but I can't remember if we have had any for a while due to updates to the forum software.)

I am very basic to express myself. Even in Spanish, I look like a telegram message.

On 29/06/2021 at 3:09 PM, Grapjas said:

which icons did you have in mind from the game?

We could take the civ icons, because they look nice. Problem is that would maybe imply some kind of rating of the civs.

But we could also use other technology or building icons. I made some based on your suggestions and what was available:

overview.thumb.png.ac9264ffaf0b978ec00c82eb4f729b1d.png

forum_ranks.zip

Edited by maroder
attached pics
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Dunno, to me that blue circle looks more round-ish than square-y.

Just reverting to the previous settings (eg display rank, no placeholder) is not an option?

Sorry, the image itself needs to be square (i.e. have equal height and width), but it can have transparency so can look like whatever you want it to.

I'm sure it's possible to create a new theme that does that, but it would be a lot of work, and be something that potentially needs to be updated each time the forum software is upgraded.

• Thanks 1

Could maybe do something like a base score for posting then have a multiplier for it.

Base_score x (reputation / posts) = Add_value_to_rank

Example (low rep, high post count): 10 x (10 / 20) =  5
Example (high rep, low post count): 10 x (50 / 10) =  50

Not sure if this is possible but i'm just thinking out loud.

45 minutes ago, m7600 said:

2. The other reactions, laugh, ... would not add or subtract anything

I'm very much in favor of letting 'laugh' count for the rank; a good joke now and then can really enrich a forum.

[Disclaimer: It has not been scientifically and independently verified that I am free of any bias whatsoever.]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

I'm not sure about that... It could end up in a sort of avalanche effect. If a person gets a middle or high rep, then their reputation will continue to increase dramatically, even if what they post is crappy once they have a high enough rep. By contrast, someone with low rep will have to struggle a lot to advance in the ranks, even if they make substantial posts that get a lot of likes. It seems unfair.

Fair point. 

44 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I'm very much in favor of letting 'laugh' count for the rank; a good joke now and then can really enrich a forum.

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I would also prefer something different. @feneur @Stan` Any feedback on the ones I made? Feel free to use all or maybe only one as a placeholder, until @m7600 has time to make something custom.

On 29/06/2021 at 7:14 PM, maroder said:

Edited by maroder