Animals' animation and moving speeds

Ceres

Hello!

Is there guidance on how trained animals differ from the others (not trained)?

If they do not differ in artwork, then my question is maybe in the wrong place.

Does the speed of moving of animals belong to artwork, or is that (also) a different field?

My question is somehow related to this:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/5680#comment:6

Edited by Ceres

It is indeed not directly related to the art, therefore the ticket on track.

The walk speed is specified in:
0ad/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_camel.xml

there you find:

````

<UnitMotion>

<WalkSpeed op="mul">0.45</WalkSpeed>

</UnitMotion>

````

• Like 1

@Freagarach@maroder

I checked out from svn and started the editor. I placed a (non-trained) camel on an empty green background, selected player 1 for it and started the scenery. However, I cannot interact with the camel, i.e. I cannot send it somewhere and thus cannot see it walk. It stands up, stands a bit, moves its head, and lies down again. This confuses me, as I was able to direct a camel in the editor just yesterday but with the editor of a25 RC.

PS: Oh, never mind, it took a few moments, then I could direct the camel.

Edited by Ceres

Hmm, recently, /binaries/data/mods/public/art/variants/quadraped/base_camel_fauna.xml was changed from:

<animation file="quadraped/camel_walk.dae" name="Walk" speed="35"/>

to:

<animation file="quadraped/camel_walk.dae" name="Walk" speed="20"/>

How do these files play together?

/binaries/data/mods/public/art/variants/quadraped/base_camel_fauna.xml
/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/gaia/fauna_camel.xml

I set <WalkSpeed op="mul">2.00</WalkSpeed> in the latter file for testing in the editor and see its effects. Yeah, the camel "flies hectically" over the ground, but I am unsure which file(s) should be adjusted with regard to speed of movement? The former, the latter, or even both?

Edited by Ceres

I never looked into it, but from guessing I would say that the speed in the animation file is the speed at which the animation is played at and the speed in the unit template file is the speed at which the unit actually moves in the simulation.

So you have to change both, until they speed of the animation looks good in combination to the speed at which the units moves.

So I would guess that the speed in the animation file is a unit of time (probably seconds) which controls the length and therefore the speed of the animation and the speed in the unit template is an actual speed (meter per second or something like that).

• Like 1

@Stan`

There seems to be a problem with (SVN) Atlas: When I change some values in SVN, e.g. <animation file="quadraped/camel_walk.dae" name="Walk" speed="500"/> I see the change (a camel with very hectic animation - good for testing) only after restarting Atlas. It is not sufficient to reset the simulation test. Is this a known problem, or am I doing something wrong? Could there be a way that Atlas force-reloads all assets when the user needs this?

I invoked Atlas by this:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\0AD\0ad_svn\trunk\binaries\system\pyrogenesis.exe -writableRoot -editor

I am not sure whether the -writableRoot start parameter is needed for Atlas (or works at all for Atlas).

PS: Please note that I renamed this thread from "Trained animals" to "Animals animation and moving speeds".

• Ceres changed the title to Animals' animation and moving speeds