Audio Design 5 - Voice List

Have I understood it right that in a24, most civilisations speak the words with the same language? At least it appears to me like this, as we have played at home with almost all of them meanwhile, but the words we hear are just a handful, if I recollect correctly.

How where the spoken words be created so far?

Again, thanks for your kind help.

Did some developer record the words with a microphone, was it created via text-to-speech (maybe with some additional tweaking), or even copied from some free work?

PS:

I stumbled over this post (see below) which I find quite funny, as the kids (and me) tend to 'shout' at each other "post polomon" (as we understand it) to draw reach other's attention - not only when playing 0 A.D. :bye:

https://lwn.net/Articles/601628/

Edited by Ceres

40 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Did some developer record the words with a microphone, was it created via text-to-speech (maybe with some additional tweaking), or even copied from some free work?

The persian and Kushite voices were recorded on a Phone, while the latin and greek recorded in a studio.

There is no text to speech nor free work although those voices are CC BY SA.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's a pity. I searched for a while but only found some ancient Greek for the free eSpeak NG (have not looked further about how it works and sounds - and cannot say whether it is correct).

https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/docs/languages.md

I had Latin for 9 years at school but that seems to me ages ago. ;)

PS:

So a24 only uses Ancient Greek, Persian, and Kushite voices? And all other civilisations use the Ancient Greek, too?

PPS also a a note for myself:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/εἰσβάλλω

Edited by Ceres

Yes, classic Latin. "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres" among the famous texts (in higher classes - after starting with declinations, gerundium, gerundivum, a.c.i., etc.

BTW, I found it good to see the notes that "c" was in fact spelled "k", because many people (at least in Germany) say "Cäsar" instead of "Käsar" (maybe because "Käse" is cheese and thus it would sound ridiculous? ;))

Forgive my question, but is there another Latin besides classic?

I even had a few weeks of Ancient Greek ("Altgriechisch", as we say in German; I assume that's translated as "Classic Greek" but am no expert) during Latin hours, but I forgot everything about that.

Edited by Ceres

1 minute ago, Ceres said:

I meant that it's a pity that there are so few/no Ancient Greek TTS.

And thanks for reminding me that Latin is also included.

BTW, are allses of Ancient Greek

I forgot, Hebrew too. We do not have any Phoenician language, we are going to use Hebrew.

We are going to use Basque for the Iberians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me know when I can do something for you in this regard. Thanks.

PS:

I have searched a bit further, tried out some engines, and from my humble point of view, there is currently nothing available that sounds remotely decently - all very robotic.

Edited by Ceres

• 11 months later...

Do we have proper translations of all the terms ready? If so, go ahead.

It is preferable that:

• All terms in the list (including recent additions like 'I will capture') are recorded, preferably with multiple takes.
  • The recordings should be done with either a proper XLR studio microphone or at least a decent desktop USB mic.
    • If neither is obtainable, then a cell phone or headset microphone may be used, but this is very much not preferred and much work will be necessary for me to make the audio usable. Also accept that if a cell phone is used to record the audio, your audio may be removed and replaced in the future with a proper recording if that becomes possible.
  • The recordings should be done in the quietest, most "dry" (i.e. least echo) space you can find. Often an interior closet full of clothing and such works best. Be sure any noise sources like fans, air handling, refrigerators, desktop computers, windows, are either turned off/closed or set to their quietest setting. Every single decibel of noise improvement is worth it!
  • The speaker should be about 10-15 cm from the microphone (no more, no less) when talking and should remain in the same exact relative position when delivering each line.
  • The audio should not 'clip', i.e. pass the point '0 dB Full Scale'. The gain/input level shall be set so the loudest audio is at about -6 dB.

If there is excessive distortion, noise, or other problems, I may not be able to clean the audio sufficiently for it to be in the game.

1 hour ago, Samulis said:

The recordings should be done in the quietest, most "dry" (i.e. least echo) space you can find. Often an interior closet full of clothing and such works best. Be sure any noise sources like fans, air handling, refrigerators, desktop computers, windows, are either turned off/closed or set to their quietest setting. Every single decibel of noise improvement is worth it

Inside a car.the only problem would be sound bouncing off  from the car glass. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 1:10 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Inside a car.the only problem would be sound bouncing off  from the car glass. 

Ah yeah, a car actually isn't a bad idea if you don't have any quieter place to record since they are usually rather well noise insulated and reasonably dampened aside from the glass as you mention. Maybe a middle seat, and get pretty close to the mic. Of course, be aware of noisy traffic passing by outside or other noises if in a city/town.

• 10 months later...

We can think of sound design as a tool to tell a story. It can be utilized not only to create an atmosphere in motion design but also to amplify the motion or animation on the screen.

Similar to motion design sound design is not something that can be easily mastered but can be created using a similar layered effect.

There are five basic layers that we can utilize in a multitude of different combinations to create the effects that we wan.

Attaining a basic knowledge of sound allows you to create a solution to amplify your short motion design pieces.

It also allows you to have a more informed conversation collaborating with sound designers as you will have an insight into just how difficult it is and how hard it is just to get right.

What are the six main elements of sound design

• Ambiance
  • Foley sounds
  • Foley sounds
  • Audio Effects (SFX)
  • Voice Over

They can also be layered like the above listing in your project file, but you can also experiment depending on the type of sound you are looking to create.

Question: is it correct that some of those are already done?

On 09/12/2003 at 7:30 PM, Acumen said:

5.4.4 Old English/Anglo-Saxon

G's that are not next to back vowels (a, o) are pronounced as a Y.

Sc together make the Sh sound.

Ash, or æ is an English-like a sound as in hat.

A's are pronounced as English 'fAther'

E's are pronounced as English 'bAY'

dh or the OE letter, eth (ð), is pronounced as a heavy 'th' as in 'THis'.

th or the OE letter, thorn (þ), is pronounced as a light 'th' as in 'THink'.

S next to a vowel sounds like Z in English.

F next to a vowel sounds like V in English.

If H is after i or e, it makes a sound like the German (ich). Ick, with a bit of a 'ch' hangover.

If H is after a or o, it makes a sound like the Scottish (loch). (ie Loh is pronounced just like Loch).

If C is before i or e, it sounds like an English 'Ch' (ie, 'Ceaster' sounds like Chay-ast-er.

CG together sound like DG in English (ie edge is ecg in OE (like Ecgtheow, a character in Beowulf [image])).

I without an e at the end of the word is long - ie, Min is pronounced 'mine'.

Here is an example: Thine - is pronounced Thie-nay (just general pronunciation).

Anglo-Saxon sounds tough. Has anyone started the recording those yet?

Edited by sternstaub
  • Like 1