proposals for formations

3 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Would it be bad to simply give each gaia tree(provided its part of a generated forest) this aura

Generally speaking no, but auras can be computational intensive, so attaching it to every tree seem like guaranteed lag.

Edited by maroder
  • Thanks 1

@alre I was hoping to tie it to the distribution of the forest floor and whether or not there are trees for a certain area of the floor, so single trees do not influence vision of troops in the open. I don't know exactly what is more feasible, just giving suggestions since @wowgetoffyourcellphone and others brought up stealth and ambush tactics.

Should this be implemented it would also need to be decided what units are affected. Personally, I think outposts should still have a large vision radius in the forest.

down the road, it would be cool to have a hero with a "guerilla warfare" perk that gives soldiers much better vision in the forest.

14 hours ago, maroder said:

But one could create an invisible entity/ actor and place it inside the forest to do that.

Would this mean that every map has to be updated to have such an invisible entity/ actor added in (certain denser) forest spots? I assume that we don't want to have decreased vision range in only light forest parts or even single trees, right?

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 3:44 PM, alre said:

I can keep making improvements if you like, my goal is to make formations good looking, and also reasonable even for competitive games, and I'd like my edits to go in the main game.

coming back to the original topic here :D I still like the formation behavior in your mod. Why don't you make a patch so it can be discussed if/ how this can be integrated in the main game?

• Like 1

I'm happy to help, @alre! My online time is quite few lately, so it has to be asynchronous I guess, but if I can find your code somewhere (a patch on Phabricator is just as valid (and even preferential for me) since we can rebase it on-the-go) I may be able to point out what and why needs changing.

(In short, please still upload on Phabricator (https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Phabricator) and I'll help you rebase it, or rebase on your behalf (if you agree).)

Edited by Freagarach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Freagarach this is the patch. It's my first patch and I didn't really know how to do it, so there are potentially many things wrong, in fact I also created this other patch by mistake, with the other file in my original post proposing the mod.

About that, if you are going to make some test, consider that I've being trying to sort unit_list before line 755 (here in the correct diff), but no kind of sorting seems to have any effect, and I have no idea why.

For merging the files, and all the phab-related processes, I can take any instruction and try to do them myself, however, I should really know what's the purpose of the parts of the file that you edited in the meanwhile, because noone told me yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the patch! As for things wrong, you did the best thing right: contributing!

1 hour ago, alre said:

should really know what's the purpose of the parts of the file that you edited in the meanwhile, because noone told me yet.

I've done two things:

1. In https://code.wildfiregames.com/rP25947 I differentiate between entities that have finished their original task (called "finishedEntities" now, it was called "waitingOnController") and entities that are IDLE (stored in "idleEntities"). The rest is UnitAI and doesn't really matter. It seems your patch doesn't need any update for this. :)
  2. In https://code.wildfiregames.com/rP25949 I reduced some duplication when selecting another formation and it doesn't influence your diff.
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...