Syracuse Mod Idea/Brainstorming

35 minutes ago, alre said:

Gelo, tyrant of Syracuse, gave citenzip to many of his mercenaries, so such a tech could be named "Gelo's reform". It could actually go as far as turning some mercenaries into citizen soldiers. In either case, such a tech would "normalize" Syracuse's economy, therefore taking away a lot of "uniqueness" from its gameplay.

Perhaps we could make it a paired tech, alternative to another inspired by another of Syracuse tyrants, "Dyonisus' hetairia" which would not change mercenaries, but would unblock the unique unit of the tyrant's guard, being it a champion that can be trained as fast as mercenaries (it could be javeliners as you proposed I guess, although I don't know why is that).

One can imagine deciding between a traditional gameplay, based more on food and wood, or a different economy entirely, when there are a lot of metal mines that can be exploited.

I have updated that first tech's description but I think giving mercs a decreased coin cost in exchange for an increased cost of other resources would work fine I think.

As for champions you mentioned i wanted them to be javelinners and swordsmen, but i don't know if this is possible, if it is then i would make them use javelins if target is more than for meters away (4 < x  ) and use swords if target is within 4 meters of them ( x < 4 ).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

As for champions you mentioned i wanted them to be javelinners and swordsmen, but i don't know if this is possible, if it is then i would make them use javelins if target is more than for meters away (4 < x  ) and use swords if target is within 4 meters of them ( x < 4 ).

Cool, I like them, but aren't them a bit unrealistic as the tyrant's guard? Maybe change the name?

24 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Having the player juggle between citizens, women and slaves for resource gathering is not more convenient. 

It is because they're cheaper.

4 minutes ago, alre said:

Cool, I like them, but aren't them a bit unrealistic as the tyrant's guard? Maybe change the name?

I mean by the time of Agathocles, Syracuse would have also reformed their skirmisher corps into a heavier version,the heavier peltast would be the elite part of such corps and it would reasonable to assume that a ruler would want these to be with him on the battlefield. Peltasts on wings ready to both flank, harass and who else is the wings, namely the right wing? The general. But yeah you also make a good point since there are no real evidence for this type troop being a bodyguard.

• Like 1

Nice,  I had the idea from AOE 3, were ranged troops automaticaly switch to melee mode with attacked by a melee unit and a post here on the forums. I only gave them one spear cav unit and a skirmisher cav, do you think they need more? And what about their infantry skirmisher being weaker than normal skirmishers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Right now this looks almost identical to Athenians, with a useless mercenary hoplite. I will change the roster and I will see if I can use assets in Lopess's zip folder. 

Feel free to delete it, when I was creating it myself I imagined a mechanic in which a hero could create a single unit called an inventor which would run a series of bonuses and auras looking like minister Han.

Be free to change what you want.:thumbsup:

If you like, I can change the Athenian and Spartan models if you like. My zip is pretty much what is now on this github.

Edited by Lopess

31 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Thanks a lot man for creating it!!

I dominate blender a bit, we can use Spartan structures as the basis of some special structures (2 or 3) , I can take some time to do it. If you have visual references it would be good.

In regards to what few structures are left we have the temples close to Akragas, also the big bronze boy ain't the only one so it is safe to say that statues like this could have appeared elsewhere in Sicily.

In the following 2 pictures one can see more details from the temples here.

1065504696_CapturadeEcr(105).png.42efbf3ec478d61aaa8ed123dfff5fc3.png1521595338_CapturadeEcr(104).thumb.png.1b7d5eb32836e0f3cf17244afe07360b.png

1432986037_CapturadeEcr(107).thumb.png.36459171186b3e11383dc27549a8a133.png

I mentioned the temple of Athena that was tunerd into a cathedral, well here is a piece of the facade in the frist picture and the latter illustration depicts the side on the temple, pay attention the upper part.

1344504300_CapturadeEcr(108).thumb.png.88c5aca76c05d0ac2ef42719a28590b7.png

1634600925_CapturadeEcr(106).png.9eec1e58235b0d2047a58b4ea875667b.png

• Like 2

As far the wonder i proposed there are only a few piles of rock remaining, thankfully some people have taken to the making of virtual reconstructions but i can not verify these. I again show the folloing picture taken direcly from the design document, and following that a pretty rough 3D model in paint 3D, because I completely forgot had SolidWorks -_-  .

Yellow cilinders -> statues

Green Rectangles -> doorways

image.png.d34f4bf0556d2cee8e597b3e2e0acc41.png

1014212408_CapturadeEcr(102).thumb.png.6bb7ebb56e8da654dfe9bdde9d963c15.png

2123975936_CapturadeEcr(97).thumb.png.cc49345984e347e264872028607f7410.png

969364636_CapturadeEcr(98).thumb.png.257794df3fcc5506be4be85a6b0f5270.png1540077340_CapturadeEcr(101).thumb.png.9f6b5488ca52327c84f5afe966540252.png

1121656337_CapturadeEcr(100).thumb.png.b80f616ccd97db10b92328ea75c6b81f.png

1147959982_CapturadeEcr(99).thumb.png.fd819bbf6acaeaec60c3729e15eb8fd8.png

Edited by PyrrhicVictoryGuy
  • Like 3

I do really like your concept...I have been reading and watching videos about the Sicilian Wars , and Syracuse was a main character for centuries during that period. I am new at the game, and a few weeks after playing with it, decide to experiment and kill some time with the editor, and made an scenario myself. Is not finish yet, because I am adding a lot of detail with the landscape of the Editor engine and experimenting with the different factions for balancing. And now that you are mentioning, I like a lot the idea of Making a gigantic map of Sicily, with as many details as possible and with the city of Syracuse in all its glory. I came to the community, last month looking to hook up with people that design or have great ideas for making mods, and scenarios... The Sicilians are not a faction in the game, But it will be a great concept to add, specially with the merc citizens soldiers, that sound very interesting. Let me now what you think, So far I do really like the idea...By the way, do you know where the art/textures/ui/session/icons/mappreview files are in version 24??? I am looking for that file....Or do I have to made them. And Thanks.

6 hours ago, Belisarius17 said:

I am new at the game

I don't think you can call yourself new anymore? ;)

6 hours ago, Belisarius17 said:

By the way, do you know where the art/textures/ui/session/icons/mappreview files are in version 24??? I am looking for that file....Or do I have to made them. And Thanks.

Also, please refrain from asking the same question in several topics. Because: 1. the question is likely to be off-topic, like here; 2. you hijack other treads (if people would answer); 3. it risks to someone answering the question but it getting lost in some random thread instead of the original question one.
Please be patient when waiting for an answer. :)

• Like 1

Hi Fregarach, thanks for your reply... Point taken....just be gentle with me....I'm new...treat me like this is my first time......you know....I may not look like a new guy to you, because you probably have seen my few posts before, with pictures talking about the scenario I'm making, But if you check my profile, you will see that I have been around here only a few times, to see what you guys are talking about, and take tips, seen other mapmakers and moders designs....and learn....then I get exited, and go like wow...all that people most be the coolest people ever...Let me make a super gigantic map, base on the ancient world  share this with the whole community...see how they react, listen at others suggestions, ideas, and then, show everyone how much they are popping my mind with all the inspiration they are providing and try to be that to others as well.... But, so far...that haven't happened... to be honest,  so far, aIl the attention I have been getting came from less than 5 people,   few opinions, and one guy, that seems real cool, speak Spanish gave me a suggestion about making a map for The Native Americans' civilization mod, base on the American continent, or one about Central Mexico, during the times of the Aztecs... ..(I do really love the idea, by the way, ) and then, guys like you coming publicly to help me on one side, and then publicly making me feel shame for coming to the forum to share those posts and my enthusiasm with others and with good intentions....So, please, out of courtesy, next time you feel like complaining to me, do it in a private message, When people that don't know each other personally have differences online, they should always resolve those different away from everyone, complaints and negative criticism as well... Unless you want to use me as an example to others, of what they can expect, if they become to enthusiastic on the forum, about their projects and sharing them with others,  specially among new players.... Anyway, I have no negative intentions to anyone nor come to compete with anyone, just want to share and see what others are making and have fun with their mods and maps as well....I  have no bad intentions for anyone here nor in the administration...I will always be courteous to you, publicly or privately, and like to resolve difference with other men in private, as gentlemen do.  I'm a man of ancient times at hearth and spirit......( I'm summing that so you as well. And I don't know why you say I ask questions......I was not looking to kidnap anything....I did take the opportunity to share my enthusiasm....but braking rules was not my intention...My mistake, so sorry about that....But ....I  hardly talk or ask questions here on the forum...and if I do, is because I do really need to know....or want to share and to let people know what Im doing and share it as they share themselves...with love and enthusiasm... If I ask....is because I don't know.... Not because I like to ask.... If I look for attention, it is because what I have to share is something I believe to be  cool....and I believe the same go for everyone else that share as well...and to me that's great....the more , the better.  if I tell you, Im new..is because I'm ....I have only 46 points...compare that to yours...or Leon...my god....I don't even know who you guys are....I do know that Leo speak Spanish and is bilingual as me... and I tell you more.....I have never played other players yet....I have played the game itself maybe some 20n times, to learn the ropes, strategies , and still learning, I have expended over 6 weeks working on the scenario, and putting as much love as you guys do, doing yours...And because I assume that everyone around here is cool and as motivate as me , I show and share what I'm doing, to see what mind alike show up, and meet others.....By the way, so far ..to be honest, I feel like the uncoolest guy in the forum now, because of having this talk with you publicly here.... And as you say, I'm kidnapping the forums, so your time. I feel real bad, because I assume you feel bad or uncomfortable with my presence too... Just remember, I'm new...so be gentle with me... You welcome to chat with me in private anytime...I am looking for friends...not enemies... Thanks for the Share....so your time and attention Fregarach... Peace be with you and prosperity...Bye for now.

Edited by Belisarius17
  • Haha 1

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Belisarius17 said:

Hi Fregarach, thanks for your reply... Point taken....just be gentle with me....I'm new...treat me like this is my first time......you know....I may not look like a new guy to you, because you probably have seen my few posts before, with pictures talking about the scenario I'm making, But if you check my profile, you will see that I have been around here only a few times, to see what you guys are talking about, and take tips, seen other mapmakers and moders designs....and learn....then I get exited, and go like wow...all that people most be the coolest people ever...Let me make a super gigantic map, base on the ancient world  share this with the whole community...see how they react, listen at others suggestions, ideas, and then, show everyone how much they are popping my mind with all the inspiration they are providing and try to be that to others as well.... But, so far...that haven't happened... to be honest,  so far, aIl the attention I have been getting came from less than 5 people,   few opinions, and one guy, that seems real cool, speak Spanish gave me a suggestion about making a map for The Native Americans' civilization mod, base on the American continent, or one about Central Mexico, during the times of the Aztecs... ..(I do really love the idea, by the way, ) and then, guys like you coming publicly to help me on one side, and then publicly making me feel shame for coming to the forum to share those posts and my enthusiasm with others and with good intentions....So, please, out of courtesy, next time you feel like complaining to me, do it in a private message, When people that don't know each other personally have differences online, they should always resolve those different away from everyone, complaints and negative criticism as well... Unless you want to use me as an example to others, of what they can expect, if they become to enthusiastic on the forum, about their projects and sharing them with others,  specially among new players.... Anyway, I have no negative intentions to anyone nor come to compete with anyone, just want to share and see what others are making and have fun with their mods and maps as well....I  have no bad intentions for anyone here nor in the administration...I will always be courteous to you, publicly or privately, and like to resolve difference with other men in private, as gentlemen do.  I'm a man of ancient times at hard and spirit......( I'm summing that so you as well. And I don't know why you say I ask questions......I was not looking to kidnap anything....I did take the opportunity to share my enthusiasm....but braking rules was not my intention...My mistake, so sorry about that....But ....I  hardly talk or ask questions here on the forum...and if I do, is because I do really need to know....or want to share and to let people know what Im doing and share it as they share themselves...with love and enthusiasm... If I ask....is because I don't know.... Not because I like to ask.... If I look for attention, it is because what I have to share is something I believe to be  cool....and I believe the same go for everyone else that share as well...and to me that's great....the more , the better.  if I tell you, Im new..is because I'm ....I have only 46 points...compare that to yours...or Leon...my god....I don't even know who you guys are....I do know that Leo speak Spanish and is bilingual as me... and I tell you more.....I have never played other players yet....I have played the game itself maybe some 20n times, to learn the ropes, strategies , and still learning, I have expended over 6 weeks working on the scenario, and putting as much love as you guys do, doing yours...And because I assume that everyone around here is cool and as motivate as me , I show and share what I'm doing, to see what mind alike show up, and meet others.....By the way, so far ..to be honest, I feel like the uncoolest guy in the forum now, because of having this talk with you publicly here.... And as you say, I'm kidnapping the forums, so your time. I feel real bad, because I assume you feel bad or uncomfortable with my presence too... Just remember, I'm new...so be gentle with me... You welcome to chat with me in private anytime...I am looking for friends...not enemies... Thanks for the Share....so your time and attention Fregarach... Peace be with you and prosperity...Bye for now.

@Belisarius17, I am truly sorry that my post made you feel this way. As @Grapjas stated I was merely trying to help.

As you can see you are _waaaay_ cooler than me, for you have more reputation per post than me. ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 21/06/2021 at 12:48 PM, alre said:

Gelo, tyrant of Syracuse, gave citenzip to many of his mercenaries, so such a tech could be named "Gelo's reform". It could actually go as far as turning some mercenaries into citizen soldiers. In either case, such a tech would "normalize" Syracuse's economy, therefore taking away a lot of "uniqueness" from its gameplay.

Perhaps we could make it a paired tech, alternative to another inspired by another of Syracuse tyrants, "Dyonisus' hetairia" which would not change mercenaries, but would unblock the unique unit of the tyrant's guard, being it a champion that can be trained as fast as mercenaries (it could be javeliners as you proposed I guess, although I don't know why is that).

One can imagine deciding between a traditional gameplay, based more on food and wood, or a different economy entirely, when there are a lot of metal mines that can be exploited.

Good idea, some adaptations:

1. By default most soldiers are mercenaries, but they train almost instantly. This makes them worth the price. 

2. Gelo's reform unlocks citizen soldiers, then you have a choice between the two: if you need emergency troops then you cna still spam mercenaries, but if you are poor and not under immediate threat you can go for citizen soldiers. 

21 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Good idea, some adaptations:

1. By default most soldiers are mercenaries, but they train almost instantly. This makes them worth the price. 

2. Gelo's reform unlocks citizen soldiers, then you have a choice between the two: if you need emergency troops then you cna still spam mercenaries, but if you are poor and not under immediate threat you can go for citizen soldiers. 

@Yekaterinahave you already created these technologies? If not, I can try here.