Syracuse Mod Idea/Brainstorming

Syracusans/Sicilian Greeks Civilization Profile

Syracuse, Sicily, AR Tetradrachm, 317-310 B.C., BMC#346

Overview and Introduction

Flavour text for the struture tree

Long as Syracuse championed its citizen’s and fellow Greek’s independence, be it against Carthaginians or Romans. As a Doric colony it kept ties to other Doric cities in the Greek mainland. Although brief respites form their conflict with Carthage did occour under some of its rulers, the city's history is dominated by their wars with Carthage and other Greeks and the eventual concession of  its autonomy to Rome.

For my first faction I designed so it has a less orthodox playstyle to what I became accustomed during Alpha 24, my aim was to make an amphibious and mercenary civ where a rush or semi-rush pays off.  So, I tried to bring new ideas to table and these will be further discussed during the champion and hero rosters sections.

I also tried my best to make a civilization that doesn’t require too many new assets because people’s time is short.

As for the values present, these can and will probably change with each revision of this document.

Disclaimer: I do not know nor studied attic, doric and koine greek so the few names of the units that I present can and will most likely have speling errors, not be in the right order syntax wise and probably not be all from the same dialect but I tried to post this by standards of similar posts. I had images for this but they did not show up when i copied this from Word and adding them is a pain so...

#NR means not researched...,yet.

Faction Bonuses

Jewel of the Mediterranean

•  Grain gather rate increased by 10%   gather rate

Mercenary Loyalty     

A lot of mercenaries were employed for life under some of the tyrants and not just in time of conflict like the Sileraioi who were given land and accomodations, so in a way this a precursor the cleruchy system of the sucessors.

• The metal cost of italian and iberian mercenaries ( italian swordsman, iberian swordsman, tarantine cavalry) is decreased by 45% 

Team bonus:

Trade Empire

• +10% international trade goods for self and allies

Unique techs 

Archemides' Screw   

image.png.b2f9b6ec9a122029d5034797ae4ed3be.png

More water = better sanitation, better crops, more hydration = healthier and more citizens. Also in the abssence of conveyer belts water canals can and would be used to carry crude mineral chunks. Replaces the "Gather training" upgrade at the farmstead.

• Phase II, farmstead
  • +10% grain gather rate for all units
  •  +10% faster metal collection for all units
  • Cost: 300 wood 300 metal

Ballistics

image.png.c49ee02d01cfd64678b675a1873c7ea0.png

• Phase III, artilery foundry
  • Adds/Increases area damage on siege engines by (x) aumount and increases their projectile speed.
  • 300 stone 300 metal

Archimedes Odometer 

image.png.599aa9715fd44bd3d723540755a244ac.png

• Phase II
  • Available at the CC
  • Structures are built 20% faster.
  • Cost: 100 stone 200 metal

Secret Police

image.png.c847b774a8d4336ad7c706ee5feb30dd.png

• Phase I, sentry tower
  • +10 meters of LOS ( line of sight) to all structures.
  • Cost: 400 food

Solar Tower

A complementary upgrade for the sentry tower, now the player has the choice to upgrade it to the stone tower or to the Solar Tower which does reduced damage to units but excels in damaging ships and siege machines.

• Phase I, sentry tower
  • Upgrades the sentry tower into the solar tower
  • Cost: 150 wood 150 stone

image.thumb.png.1872c622601cf4a7fa5e1a89955a95bb.png

Mamertines

image.png.697279037f4fc5af905ae0a6290fb0ea.png

• A one time, instantaneous shipment of 20 mamertines (italian swordsmen, same stats as the roman champ swordsmen) to the Tyrant's Palace. 
  • Available at CC, p3
  • Cost: 2000 food 3000 metal

Doric camaraderie

image.png.6d35052138e67a105eafe93afc59ffa2.png

• A one time, instantaneous shipment of 20 spartiates (spartan champ hoplite)  to the Tyrant's Palace.
  • Available at CC, p3
  • Cost: 2000 food 3000 metal

Technology Tree

120409662_2033929772_Semttulo.thumb.png.d92dbd0cfc1022dd112af81a57429d46(1).png.8919da2dbee28dd58cecbe5f3440defe.png

Structures

As Syracuse was a colony of Corinth, it should heavily feature Doric Architecture, much like Sparta. Although unlike the Spartans, Corinth and Syracuse seemed to have inherited a love for monumental buildings and public works from the Attic region.

In short, make it so their buildings have the Sparta template but more embellished (and maybe replace the roof tiles with the roman ones). I don’t expect any new models to be developed ASAP for this and it is acceptable since I haven’t the skills required and am at the mercy of some good souls willing to model these.

As for buildings available, these should be standard Greek roster available to Sparta, Athens and Macedon but I do propose 2 unique/special buildings for this faction (whose names in Greek I have yet to research) and I also propose that Syracusans only be able to build/have one Civic Centre, representing Syracuse itself and making for a risk reward type thing when attacking/rushing.

Seaside Outpost/fortified port

image.png.cd58b08cb063a4e8c7336dc54df7a5c8.png

Syracuse itself went on to expand their influence over other territories through colonies of its own although these were more akin to fortified trading posts than full blown colonies, much like the Portuguese Feitoria.

Can only be placed along shorelines and functions like a cross between a military colony and a market, where one can send caravans to.

Can’t train ships except for the merchant vessel but can heal all ships, otherwise it can train caravans, one champion and some of the mercs available to this civ.

This building will also have a technology that improves trade goods received by caravans that visit this building, again building on that risk/reward thing.

Its cost should also be between a military colony and a CC.

Tyrant’s Fortress/Palace

image.png.697edc8c1074dfb81937d8f28ae57cbb.png

A reference to the fortress of Euryalos.

Essentially a better fortress that trains two of these civ’s champions(crossbowman and tyrant's bodyguard) and its heroes in addition to the “will to fight” tech that all civs have.

A player can only have one of these per match (if not possible to implement this, then it could have a max count of 1).

It won’t be any more expensive than a normal fortress and doesn’t replace it.

Serves as an territory anchor like a CC.

Wonder: Hieron’s Altar

image.png.ad6d9ab0f24d7d099fe77a2c0e6a28e6.png      image.png.a96531c4bd9e79461c5d26a8feec85ad.png

Unit Roster

For my first draft of this civ I have 11 units planned, 3 citizen soldiers, 5 mercenaries and 3 champions. For this next section I will specify which buildings train what units using the following template, building, citizen soldiers, mercenaries, champions.

Citizen soldiers

-Syracusan Hoplite

hoplite.png.5d2a06fd063c240b8a7c65f9b1855d9b.png                 

1630211921_Screenshot(410).png.5e300743527f1adfdaa1a542d806558c.png

Generic name: Syracusan hoplite

Specific name: Hoplites sikeliotes

Pierce armament: Dori spear

Attire: Unit variants should bear the Montefortino, Italo-Attic and Corinthian helmets . Rank 1 gets a tunic and one of the greaves, rank 2 gets the linothorax and both greaves and finally rank 3 gets the feathers in the helmets mentioned and a tri-disc cuirass over the linothorax. Aspis shield  should  have marine elements in it (dolphins, tridents, nymphs like the oceanids, pegaeae or the nereids or hell even Arethousa herself).

Stats:

Health: 100

Hack Damage: 2.5        Pierce Damage:  3      Crush Damage:0    Interval: 1     Range:4

Hack Armor: 5          Pierce Armor:  5              Crush Armor: 10

Walk Speed: 9             Run Speed: 15

Cost: 50 food 50 wood

Loot: 5 food 5 wood 100 exp

- Sicanian skirmisher

image.png.0f1e7b1f4ce0708b1aa3f8af59fa6538.png

Generic name: Sicanian skirmisher

Specific name: Peltastes sikeliotes

Ranged armament: Javelins

Attire: Pelta shield obvs. Rank 1 has a straw hat, simple tunic and no greaves, rank 2 gets a chalcidean helmet and a decorative unic, rank 3 gets padded armor and a chlamys.

Note: to make this a more “aggressive” civ and to drive the player to use mercs and champs these should have slightly worse stats than a standard skirmisher,  -10% health. (Also, I don’t like how armies right now are like 4/6 ranged and 2/6 melee so that is also a factor in this choice of mine).

Stats:

Health: 40

Hack Damage:0        Pierce Damage:  16      Crush Damage:0   Interval: 1.25      Range: 30

Hack Armor:   1        Pierce Armor:    1            Crush Armor: 10

Walk Speed:   10.8          Run Speed: 18

Cost: 50 food 50 wood

Loot: 5 food 5 wood 80 exp

-Greek Lancer

image.png.426795ac49e65d98e5be631b565e2084.png

Generic name: Greek cavalry

Specific name: Hippeus

Melee armament: Xyston

Attire: Rank 1 has a straw hat, linothorax and no greaves, rank 2 gets a boeotian or a boeotian-variant helmet and a chlamys, rank 3 gets a plume in their helmet.

Stats:

Health: 160

Hack Damage:  4      Pierce Damage: 3       Crush Damage:0    Interval: 1    Range:   6

Hack Armor:  4        Pierce Armor: 4           Crush Armor: 15

Walk Speed:  18           Run Speed: 25.5

Cost: 100 food 50 wood

Loot: 10 food 5 wood 130 exp

Mercenaries

- Italian Swordsman

image.png.272a4c0396087e3e9839c57708cae1fb.png

Generic name: Italian Swordsman

Specific name: "something" xiphophoros

Melee armament: Xiphos

Note: we can use the swordsman merc model of Carthage’s Italian embassy. I named them italian swordsman because making a unit for mamertines, campanian, sileraioi and samnites mercenaries is redundant.

Stats:

Hack Damage: 5.5       Pierce Damage:    0    Crush Damage:0    Interval: 0.75       Range: 3

Hack Armor:   5        Pierce Armor:       5         Crush Armor: 15

Walk Speed:   9          Run Speed: 14

Cost: 20 food 35 metal

Loot: 2 food 6 metal 100 exp

-Cretan archer

Generic name: Cretan archer

Specific name: Toxotes Kretaikos

Note: There is already a model for these in game so no point in describing this one further

Stats:

Health: 60

Hack Damage:  0      Pierce Damage: 6.7        Crush Damage:0       Interval: 1      Range: 60

Hack Armor:   1       Pierce Armor:  2              Crush Armor: 10

Walk Speed: 10.8         Run Speed: 18

Cost: 20 food 60 metal

Loot: 2 food 6 metal 100 exp

-Tarantine Cavalry

image.png.c55f3f49fcc50354d4be19428d15dd30.png

image.png.ad9c7294dfcd6a7dc9134e8580e8d5ea.png             image.png.b78e89849785b2bee65207f5948089f2.png

Generic name: Tarantine Skirmisher Cavalry

Specific name: Hippeus Tarantinos

Ranged armament: Javelins and pelte shield

Attire: NR

Stats:

Hack Damage:   0     Pierce Damage:  18      Crush Damage:0      Interval: 1.25     Range: 30

Hack Armor: 3          Pierce Armor:   1             Crush Armor: 15

Walk Speed:  15           Run Speed: 21

Cost: 50 food   50 metal

Loot: 6 food 8 metal 120 exp

-War Elephant

Generic name: African War Elephant

Specific name: NR

Note: The only mercenary elephant in the game and as such it should have a very steep cost.

Stats:

Health: 500

Hack Damage: 30        Pierce Damage: 0       Crush Damage: 70     Interval: 1.5

Hack Armor:    10       Pierce Armor:    10            Crush Armor: 20

Walk Speed: 9          Run Speed: 15

Cost: 300 food   160 metal

Loot: 30 food 16 metal 250 exp

-Iberian Swordsman

Generic name: Iberian light swordsman

Specific name:

Hacker armament: Falcata and buckler

Function: These are to be a pseudo glass cannon, less armour but more hack damage and more speed when compared to the standard merc swordsman. We can recycle the Iberian CS model. (Bootleg skiritai)

Stats:

Health: 80

Hack Damage: 6.5       Pierce Damage:  0      Crush Damage:0        Interval: 0.75      Range:  3

Hack Armor:   4        Pierce Armor:  2              Crush Armor: 10

Walk Speed:  11       Run Speed:  16

Cost: 20 food  30 metal

Loot: 2 food 6 metal 70 exp

Champions

The champion infantry of this faction can only be trained intialy at the regular fortresses and at the  special buildings mentioned above but will be available at the barracks after the player researches the "unlock champions" tech.

-Syracusia (Ship)

image.png.dae7c0ec9038f33b4aa19957efeefd20.png

Note: historically it was known to have been a gift to the Ptolemies and was more of a show of whealth but you can´t make a champion function as a ferry only.

Generic name: Syracusia

Specific name: Syracusia

Armament: ram and arrow towers

Function:

A really big ship, should be extremely expensive and slow but can be garrisoned like a tower to increase its firepower. It must also be capable of holding 50 soldiers.

-Crossbowman

Generic name: Crossbowman

Specific name: Gastraphetephoros

Armament: gastraphetes

Attire: Similar to their Macedonian counterpart

Stats:

Health: 120

Hack Damage:   0     Pierce Damage: 40       Crush Damage:   Interval: 2.5       Range: 60

Hack Armor:  5         Pierce Armor:    5            Crush Armor: 20

Walk Speed:    10.8         Run Speed:  18

Cost: 80 food 60 wood 80 metal

Loot: 8 food 6 wood 8 metal

-Tyrants’ guard/bodyguard

image.thumb.png.dc397cc9623f5faed6bce9d1245dcea0.png                                           image.thumb.png.088908f36f76b72dffe7dd9e71fe0d62.png

Generic name: Tyrants’ Peltasts

Specific name: Somatophylax tou tyrannou

Melee armament: javelins, kopis and aspis

Attire:  As per the nature of their role and their value as a hybrid, high priority unit, they should be easily recognized in game, so I’m going to kill two birds with one stone by making them the flashiest units in game. Certainly, a tyrant would want show his wealth not only by investing in his personal image but also his entourage’s, the more decorated the panoply, the better.

Firstly, their body armour, bronze muscle cuirass or an iron linothorax, like the one Phillip II uses in game. Both greaves made of bronze/iron and of course a cape. The helmet could be either a thracian or a late attic plumed .

Function:

The star of the roster for sure, this is meant to be a hybrid unit, a heavy peltast, cross between a skirmisher and a                   swordsman that is capable of both ranged and melee damage.

The idea came to me after browsing Yekaterina’s post about making such a unit, basically my idea was that the damage type be exclusive to each “mode” of the unit, these “modes” could be toggled manually via formations but if this isn’t possible then have them only get in melee when right in front of another unit (< 4 meters).

As they are also swordsmen, they can deal with CS infantry with varying degrees of cost-effectiveness. Naturally their         counter would be cavalry.

Finally, as to balance them I was thinking they could have an increased prepare time or downright less attack speed on their ranged stance.

These should also have just a bit less health (than normal champ swordsmen) so that lose to other sword champs if none of  their shots landed or if they hadn’t had a chance to fire but should be able to win if at least two or three shots connect before going into melee.

Range Stance's Stats:

Health:

Hack Damage:        Pierce Damage:        Crush Damage:

Hack Armor:           Pierce Armor:                Crush Armor:

Walk Speed:             Run Speed:

Cost:

Loot:

Melee Stance's Stats:

Health:

Hack Damage:        Pierce Damage:        Crush Damage:

Hack Armor:           Pierce Armor:                Crush Armor:

Walk Speed:             Run Speed:

Cost:

Loot:

Heroes

For this section I choose not to include any post Pyrrhus heroes and instead opted for the first dynast of each dynasty pre epirote influence .

• Gelo/Gelon I

Elitism: Champions and cavalry train 15% faster while citizen soldier infantry train 10% slower.

Cavalry Commander: Citizen and mercenary cavalry within a (Y) radius of Gelon receive a +2 crush, hack and pierce armour in addition to a 30% line of sight increase. 

To fit his bonuses and history, he would have to belong to the spear cavalry category but it is imperative that he posseces a more classical look than the following heroes, maybe a boeotian helmet with a laurel crown and a simple plume would fit him nicely:

image.png.65658f4b15cb5a4ecd52e7cf988ada47.png                                                  image.png.2965d0232203c7ac94ab1c05c3a677f1.png

#Here is the crowned boeotian helmet in-game, to which I have added 3 plumes( i think they are props), just to give an even  better idea of what I am talking about:

1830140424_Gelonshelmet.thumb.png.d94586875fdf198d4858770ae30eff41.png

Stats:

Health: 1100

Hack Damage:   16     Pierce Damage: 14      Crush Damage: 0   Range: 6   Interval: 1.25

Hack Armor:  11         Pierce Armor:  10              Crush Armor: 25

Walk Speed:  19       Run Speed:   25

Cost: 300 food 200 wood 250 metal

Loot: 10 food  50 metal 400 exp

• Dionysius I

One the most infamous tyrants of Sicily, his contributions go from upgrading the walls of the city to furthering the                  development of siege machines.

Dionysian Walls: Defensive structures get a 10% health boost (palisades, stone walls, fortresses, civic centres and all towers).

Court Engineers: Siege units have their attack speed and movement  increased by 20% in a (k) radius.

As for his physical model I couldn't find much but following picture gave me the idea of giving him a linothorax, maybe scaled, underneath a chlamys, kinda like Themistocles in-game:

Dionysius_Full.thumb.jpg.0c2e93c2c20645bf5acd34a23d73f46f.jpgimage.png.45cba5b7ba9880d1e624ac325705643c.png

#i also think he should be a sword cav hero

Stats:

Health: 1200

Hack Damage: 20       Pierce Damage: 0       Crush Damage:0      Range:  5     Interval:   0.75

Hack Armor:    11       Pierce Armor:     9           Crush Armor: 25

Walk Speed:18             Run Speed: 25.2

Cost: 300 food 100 wood 200 metal

Loot: 10 food 10 wood  50 metal  400 exp

• Agathocles

Another famous ruler that, much like Hannibal during the 2nd Punic war, brought the fight his enemy’s doorstep, somewhat       shielding(not really tho) his own territory. He also burned his ships after disembarking in Africa, that way his mercs and soldiers   were in a do or die situation.

Natural Leader: +50% capture points in a (j) radius for both allies and your own troops.

Relentless Advance: Mercenaries and citizen soldiers gain experience 10% faster (this, I think can be done by multiplying the experience points given by enemies in (x) radius or by multiplying the experience received by friendlies in (x) range of him).

For his appearance and unit class I was thinking that he could be an infantry spearman, something  like this:       

sdssdsdsds.thumb.jpg.caa25b10014f4091e6fb315fe9dbb95d.jpg                              image.png.d4cff1a7da55d45c76d79a98169ccdf3.png

# Maybe a cloak or something to make him more distinguishable.

Stats:

Health:  1000

Hack Damage: 10      Pierce Damage: 10       Crush Damage:0

Hack Armor:    10       Pierce Armor:   11             Crush Armor: 20

Walk Speed:       10      Run Speed: 18

Cost: 200 food    300 wood   150 metal

Loot: 5 food 15 metal 400 exp

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Dionysius_Full.jpg

hoplite.png

image.png

Gelon's helmet.png

agathocles' helmet.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by PyrrhicVictoryGuy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Syracuse itself went on to expand their influence ove other greek colonies although these were more akin to fortified trading posts than full blown colonies, much like the Portuguese Feitoria.

Can only be placed along shorelines and functions like a cross between a military colony and a market, where one can send caravans to.

Can’t train ships except for the merchant vessel but can heal all ships, otherwise it can train caravans, one champion and some of the mercs available to this civ.

This building will also have a technology that improves trade goods received by caravans that visit this building, again building on that risk/reward thing.

This is an awesome idea and I like the creativity of having blended buildings. From this, I expect the traders of this civ to be easier to protect, and to have a more blended economy.

The only thing about the general design of the civ is that people will want to play it on land too. I love the idea of making a dock/military colony/market, but I am worried about how infrequently 0ad players in general use water maps. Perhaps there can be added a function similar to iber starting walls, where on an all land map a pond spawns somewhere along the p1 border of territory so that a syracuse playe could at least build one "fortified port". This would enable the civ to be played more comfortably on land maps. 

I think this civ idea is unique and awesome. Good work :D

2 hours ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

But I am struggling with  unique techs.

Look to Archimedes and his inventions. Perhaps Mathematics, Ballistics, make Archimedes' Screw a tech instead of a bonus. Also, Syracuse was big on using mercenaries, so there's an avenue for you to explore techs (Mercenary Captains is an idea). Syracuse was first to use the Gastraphetes, so a bonus (trainable 1 phase earlier) or tech there. And feel free to crib ideas from Delenda Est.

• Like 1

Some ideas:

1. New tech: maths. Effect: all ranged units are 100% accurate, because they can model the trajectory of their projectile with quadratic equations. (air resistance is negligible because of solid metal bullets ;) )

2. New structure: Dionysius Grappling hook. Built by the shore to instantly destroy ships that go too close to it. Effectively prevents a landing. 

3. New weapon: solar death ray. Causes fire damage as well as anti-siege, anti-ships. 

4. New tech: water pump. Archimedes pump provides the citizens with fresh supply of clean water, as a result, all units +10% health.

36 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

New tech: maths. Effect: all ranged units are 100% accurate, because they can model the trajectory of their projectile with quadratic equations. (air resistance is negligible because of solid metal bullets ;)

that serves you with artillery. not with archers or javaliners.

37 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

New tech: water pump. Archimedes pump provides the citizens with fresh supply of clean water, as a result, all units +10% health.

I made an icon for delenda est.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Look to Archimedes and his inventions. Perhaps Mathematics, Ballistics, make Archimedes' Screw a tech instead of a bonus. Also, Syracuse was big on using mercenaries, so there's an avenue for you to explore techs (Mercenary Captains is an idea). Syracuse was first to use the Gastraphetes, so a bonus (trainable 1 phase earlier) or tech there. And feel free to crib ideas from Delenda Est.

Yeah, form what i read, the belly xbow is attributed to Dionysius' court, I like the p2 champs idea, hell even p2 heroes could be a thing. As for mercenaries tech, something like

"Mercenary loyalty", that decreases the cost of mercs by 30% , at a steep cost or a tech available after researching "expertise in war" , named "Veteran mercenaries" that upgrades all mercs to rank 3 and small health boost of 10%.

9 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

This is an awesome idea and I like the creativity of having blended buildings. From this, I expect the traders of this civ to be easier to protect, and to have a more blended economy.

The only thing about the general design of the civ is that people will want to play it on land too. I love the idea of making a dock/military colony/market, but I am worried about how infrequently 0ad players in general use water maps. Perhaps there can be added a function similar to iber starting walls, where on an all land map a pond spawns somewhere along the p1 border of territory so that a syracuse playe could at least build one "fortified port". This would enable the civ to be played more comfortably on land maps. 

I think this civ idea is unique and awesome. Good work :D

Thanks a lot ! Although it is true that other than the Guadalquivir and Donut maps water is scarse but i think giving them a pond may be too much no ? They already give a trade bonus to caravans to their entire team and already have that "super" fortress. I was afraid of making them too bloated.

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Some ideas:

1. New tech: maths. Effect: all ranged units are 100% accurate, because they can model the trajectory of their projectile with quadratic equations. (air resistance is negligible because of solid metal bullets ;) )

2. New structure: Dionysius Grappling hook. Built by the shore to instantly destroy ships that go too close to it. Effectively prevents a landing. 

3. New weapon: solar death ray. Causes fire damage as well as anti-siege, anti-ships. 

4. New tech: water pump. Archimedes pump provides the citizens with fresh supply of clean water, as a result, all units +10% health.

I refrained from Archemides' Claw because nobody truly knows how it was built and what it looked like. The death ray  would be pretty cool but the historians would immediatly raise their pitchforks.

@alreI didn't find anything that would sugest having elephants whatsoever, although I included them for two reasons. Firstly because I wanted to spice up the mercenary roster since this is a mercenary heavy civ and lastly because they would certainly have acess to them via trade with ptolemaic egypt or with the seleucids even if very unlikely. After Pyrrhus' use of elephants and their widespread use among the eastern Greeks, Hellenistic Syracuse would be tempted to get a few of them for sure so i don't think it is a major no no.

• Like 1

I'm loving this idea so far! I've always thought there needed to be a faction to represent the colonies in Magna Graecia.

On 19/06/2021 at 2:12 PM, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Syracuse itself went on to expand their influence ove other greek colonies although these were more akin to fortified trading posts than full blown colonies, much like the Portuguese Feitoria.

The fortified port is almost exactly the same as a "merchant colony" idea I had for Mare Nostrum. I'm not much of an artist, but I've gotten pretty far by stitching existing actors together with meshes. I've thought about making this by combining the base of the Brythonic Crannog with a few other civic buildings on top. Lemme see if I can make a "dirty prototype" for you!

• Like 1

Here ya go!

I used a Spartan stoa to represent Doric architecture and a couple of stalls to represent the merchant nature of the colonies. You'll need someone to add a ramp, and the wooden fencing makes it look a bit Brythonic, but I feel like it conveys the concept pretty well.

Make sure you change to civ to "syra" when you've actually implemented it. I set the civ to "spart" so it won't throw any errors when you open it in the scenario editor.

merchant_colony.zip

• Like 1

This is going to be a mercenary heavy civ, which means a lot of metals will be used. Therefore it is best to have some bonuses related to metal. Alternatively, we decrease the metal cost for Syracusans and replace that with something else, say food or wood. 

Metal mining *sigh

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

This is going to be a mercenary heavy civ, which means a lot of metals will be used. Therefore it is best to have some bonuses related to metal. Alternatively, we decrease the metal cost for Syracusans and replace that with something else, say food or wood. 

Metal mining *sigh

@Yekaterina  Have you opened a github for the mod? Do you want me to open one in Mods0ad to start the files and contributions and send you an invitation there?

3 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Metal mining *sigh

I have come up with this:

Mercenary Loyalty

• All mercenaries  have their metal cost decreased by 45%, their food cost increased by 30% (and maybe an addidtional cost of 20 stone)
  • Cost: 200 wood 300 stone

What do u think?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I will open one, currently I am suffering from a lack of assets and templates. Need to make templates. 

I'll send you some models I created a few months ago for Syracuse , use them as a base, just change a few things.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, Lopess said:

@YekaterinaI have some old stuff if you want I can send you to enjoy them, (at the time I decided not to take on a mod anymore)

syrac.zip 2 MB · 2 downloads

40 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

I have come up with this:

Mercenary Loyalty

• All mercenaries  have their metal cost decreased by 45%, their food cost increased by 30% (and maybe an addidtional cost of 20 stone)
  • Cost: 200 wood 300 stone

Gelo, tyrant of Syracuse, gave citenzip to many of his mercenaries, so such a tech could be named "Gelo's reform". It could actually go as far as turning some mercenaries into citizen soldiers. In either case, such a tech would "normalize" Syracuse's economy, therefore taking away a lot of "uniqueness" from its gameplay.

Perhaps we could make it a paired tech, alternative to another inspired by another of Syracuse tyrants, "Dyonisus' hetairia" which would not change mercenaries, but would unblock the unique unit of the tyrant's guard, being it a champion that can be trained as fast as mercenaries (it could be javeliners as you proposed I guess, although I don't know why is that).

One can imagine deciding between a traditional gameplay, based more on food and wood, or a different economy entirely, when there are a lot of metal mines that can be exploited.