I made an illusion :)

The really froody and trippy Triangle!

ohnoes_illusion.jpg

Alright, I was making some diagrams and images for some WFG work, when I noticed that this triangle was abit weird.

Now it all depends on where you look at it.

To help describe this, note that the triangle is in 4 parts, those 4 parts being the different colored section.

Illusion 1:

Look at the top section of the 3rd part (or the 2nd part). Does the color there look darker than the bottom of that part? If it doesn't, keep looking at it for a while.

Weird, no? The top looks lighter than the bottom.

But get this... It's not! When I was making this in photoshop I kept thinking that I was using the gradient tool by accident, but no, I used the eyedropper tool to check the color of the top and bottom part of the sections and it's exactly the same.

Want proof? Right click and click "save target as" on the picture, save it and open it with XP's image viewer. Zoom in to any of the sections (like alot, so that you can't see the bottom part where the other section starts anymore) and you'll see that it's one solid color. Zoom back out and the illusion will be revealed to you.

Illusion 2:

This one is weird too

Ok, back to the 3rd part of the triangle. Look at the bottom of it, right above the line where it seperates into the 4rth part. Stare at it for a good 20-30 seconds. Now this has to be a solid stare, no moving at all or even focusing your eyes.

After 20 or so seconds you will see that the 2 top parts above the 3rd part will all fade to the same color as the 3rd part.

You can do this with all the parts of the triangle if you stare at the border lines, different places will make different results, for example if you stare at the top of the 3rd part, you will see that the 4rth part will fade to the same color as the 3rd.

Try this out at different edges of the 4 different parts and observe the weirdness.

Neat illusion, no? :P

The reason why the first illusion happens (the one with the gradientness) is because of the different contrast levels your eyes percieve. For example if you look at something that is next to a light surface, it'll apear dark, if you look at something near a dark surface, it'll apear light, and yet as shown in the picture, it was one solid color.

The reason why the 2nd illusion happens is...well I don't actually know :P But probably the color focusing of your eyes after you look at something for a while.

Cool :P

You can do this with all the parts of the triangle if you stare at the border lines, different places will make different results, for example if you stare at the top of the 3rd part, you will see that the 4rth part will fade to the same color as the 3rd.

I was able to stare long enough in the center of the triangle so that the three topmost sections blended and then eventually the entire triangle became one color, and that was the second from the bottom.